Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

Ohio has closed school for this year and said they anticipate online and in-class learning in 2021, whatever that means. Sounds like football remains up in the air?

Just my two cents, but I think some supers in Ohio are looking at splitting their schools in half, and one blue days, the blue students are in the building and the White students are doing NTI. On White days, it gets flipped. On each 10 day cycle, all kids are in 5 days and in NTI 5 days. Keeps the school at 50 percent enrollment and allows for social distancing as classrooms would only be half full. That's what I think they are talking about.

Under that plan, no sports in the Fall.

Just my two cents, but I think some supers in Ohio are looking at splitting their schools in half, and one blue days, the blue students are in the building and the White students are doing NTI. On White days, it gets flipped. On each 10 day cycle, all kids are in 5 days and in NTI 5 days. Keeps the school at 50 percent enrollment and allows for social distancing as classrooms would only be half full. That's what I think they are talking about.

Confused as to why this would mean no fall sports? If you have 800 kids in your school, that would mean you would have 400 kids around each other every other day. Surely if they allow that then having 50 to 75 kids around each other outside at practice wouldn’t be an issue. Just my opinion.

Confused as to why this would mean no fall sports? If you have 800 kids in your school, that would mean you would have 400 kids around each other every other day. Surely if they allow that then having 50 to 75 kids around each other outside at practice wouldn’t be an issue. Just my opinion.

It is impossible to social distance in sports. I imagine if they are going to split the school in half to attend on staggering days then they will definitely be practicing strict social distancing to keep the doors open.

1) For some, no in-person class equals no extra curriculars (holidays/ weekends excluded)

2) Hard to social distance contact sports.

3) How do you justify splitting school yet plan on having games/ meets and expect the crowd (if any) to adhere to social distancing? And if you don't have crowds, gonna be hard for people to pay bills (band works football concessions where I live).

I think we will have a season, however I don’t think it will be what we are use to. Maybe a 6 game schedule then playoffs with top two team from each district.

Or they might push football back, and have a shorter basketball and baseball season.

No way they shorten Basketball season... not in this state. They will shorten football before they shorten basketball.

Without hearing more of the details, that sounds like an incredible burden on the teachers if the split occurs through each classroom.

I can't see football this fall without some miracle progression, and we aren't getting that here. If you want sports this fall don't look at what is happening overseas.

One thing I think we are leaving out is $$$. Schools are already thinking about the crunch that is going to happen. Extracurriculars will suffer.

One things for sure, I hope the vast majority of posters/experts on this thread have no say in the decision as to whether or not there is a season. Never have I seen a more pessimistic thread about such a sacred topic. Gloom and doom cash it in.

With the spread of the virus by July we will either be better or be worse...but ideally there are multiple items that could be discussed to solve the problem.

One thing that I believe wholly, as with everything else, people are just gonna have to go through it without any assistance from the government or science. By July hopefully people just do it, with possibly some attendance restrictions and technological off site viewing options

At what point do you have to start making decisions if you are the schools an/or the KHSAA. 30/60/90 day plans are typically how school admins like to think forshort term issues.

What if school A goes back in September and resumes extracurricular and school B decides to wait until October and says no extra curricular...could some of these decisions start trickling back down to local decision makers?

If we wait until after Labor Day to go back to school, How long would football players needs to acclimate back into workouts/practice/contact before being able to play safely?

This would really be hard on parents trying to find daycare for the days their kids are off.

Bylaw 23 Provisions – Football Practice Regulations | Kentucky High School Athletic Association

(12) Any student who has neither participated in organized competition in a KHSAA sanctioned winter or spring sport, nor has documentation of supervision by a coach qualified under Bylaw 25 in a minimum of 8 conditioning workouts after the previous season and before the start of spring practice (including competition on a competitive weight lifting team at the school), shall have two (2) days of practice in helmets only and two (2) additional days in shells (helmets and shoulder pads) for acclimation prior to wearing the remainder of the allowable football gear;