Reed Shepherd Declares for the NBA Draft

mcpapa

Just now, Randy Parker said:

Pretty astounding that he's reached this milestone, considering that most of us never thought he'd make it this far.  Really happy for him.  Easy kid to root for.

Even as a non-UK program fan, I like a lot of the players.  Reed is certainly high on the list.

• Like 1

He made the decision that was best for him. Now the big question is does this mean he cared more about the NBA, than the name Kentucky across the chest? If he wasn’t from Kentucky he would been another guy people complained about in regards about caring more about the NBA. Which can’t blame Cal for this, since he was no longer head to “push him out” as people use to like to say. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, futurecoach said:

Now the big question is does this mean he cared more about the NBA, than the name Kentucky across the chest?

Excellent question.  I'm sure many will give Sheppard the benefit of the doubt that they did not give to others.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, I gotta go to work said:

If you're a projected lottery pick, you go. Plain and simple. Good luck to Reed.

Seen him projected anywhere from 3 to 7.    If you are in that range, go.  You aren't making that money in college, NIL or No.

• Like 1

Another thing to consider, he would have had unrealistic expectations placed on him by fans next year. He probably would have felt the weight of the state on his back every game.

While I love him as a player and a Kentucky kid, I completely understand his decision and wish him well.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Another thing to consider, he would have had unrealistic expectations placed on him by fans next year. He probably would have felt the weight of the state on his back every game.

While I love him as a player and a Kentucky kid, I completely understand his decision and wish him well.

No doubt about it.  Expectations would have been unbelievable.  And probably unfair. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I gotta go to work said:

If you're a projected lottery pick, you go. Plain and simple. Good luck to Reed.

I completely agree. I just know people acted like Calipari forced players to go to the NBA. When the reality is the only ones he probably forced were guys who were going to be lottery picks. I guarantee the ones who left early but was not picked until late first round, second round, or even not drafted at all. Were never forced to leave by Cal and would have rather had them back, but he just supported their decisions. 

Could have been an all time Kentucky legend.  Instead he will be remembered as a good player.  I feel a little betrayed in that he definitely leaned into the "front of the jersey" player.  Down the road his dad will be more remembered.  He at least won something.

12 hours ago, citycat said:

Could have been an all time Kentucky legend.  Instead he will be remembered as a good player.  I feel a little betrayed in that he definitely leaned into the "front of the jersey" player.  Down the road his dad will be more remembered.  He at least won something.

In the long run you may be right.  Recency bias will wear off eventually.