Everything posted by rjs4470
-
Is it time for Kentucky to revisit restrictions on June Football?
I think there's a legitimate conversation to be had about whether football's summer restrictions should be updated, but I'm not convinced basketball is the problem. Basketball allows more games because skill development comes from repetitions in live competition. Football is a collision sport, so the KHSAA has to balance player development with safety concerns. Those aren't identical situations. As for recruiting, very few Kentucky athletes in any sport are being recruited by UK or Louisville. Most college opportunities come from smaller Division I programs, Division II, NAIA, and Division III schools. Summer camps and travel ball can help those athletes get exposure they might not otherwise receive. If Kentucky football is falling behind neighboring states, it's worth studying what they're doing differently. But simply saying "let football do what basketball does" ignores the fundamental differences between the sports. The goal should be finding the right balance between development, safety, and giving kids the best opportunity to improve.
-
Board Drills - (NFHS/SMAC) and Commissioner Tackett recommend elimination
From what I can see, it appears that Board Drills are mostly banned at the NCAA level, aside from the two exceptions below: One-on-one pass rush or pass protection drills are still allowed, provided they do not occur within these confined areas. Coaches are permitted to conduct the Board Drill with or without pads if it is done at a walking or jogging pace.
-
Retro football staff : sideline fashion - 1980s to 2026
That was my senior year, and my coaches had the exact same gear. It was all BIKE and Champion...from coaches gear to uni's where I was from.
-
Tyler Fryman (Beechwood '27) Recruiting
It's still really, really hard no matter how talented you are. Because you're playing with and against guys who are just as talented, and in many cases maybe even more. And those guys are continuing to develop their talent in the offseason. Especially in football, where lifting, and studying/learning the system in the offseason is critical. And college baseball is such a daily grind for the 4 month season, not being able to work on football will be a huge disadvantage. And going right into that grind after a D1 football season is going to be hard on the body physically. It's been done, but the number of guys who do it, keeps getting smaller, and smaller. It would be great to see it happen.
-
Florida beginning an "Open" division 8-team playoff for football and other sports
I don't think this would hurt financially. Based on what I've read, this isn't replacing the current state tourneys in Florida. The top 8 tourney would be in addition to the existing tournaments. You'd still have a State champ in each class, you'd just have an open (or whatever you want to call it) tournament. In Kentucky, for football, this would probably mean going back to 4 or 5 classes, which is certainly doable. For the other sports that aren't classed, I really don't see how it would work, or even be necessary. Which is why I think you'll never see it. Financially, it would probably help.
-
Florida beginning an "Open" division 8-team playoff for football and other sports
I think it could work in baseball, basketball, and soccer on the boys side and maybe the same corresponding sports on the girls side. Those sports are more competitive from top to bottom, and tend to have different state champs every year. But since those sports aren't classed, and we've already got the district and regional tourney's that lead up to a 16 team state tourney, it would really be kind of pointless. Sure, some teams suffer from being in a deep region, but for the most part those state tournaments as they are currently formatted are pretty competitive, and likely wouldn't be all that much better or even different in a tournament made of the top 8 based on rankings. Football and volleyball though just don't have enough depth for this to work.
-
NCAA Tournament Expanding to 76 Teams
At what point does good business become "greed". If someone is willing to pay a lot of money for something, does that really make the person (or company) that owns that something greedy for selling as much of it as they can? It's 8 more teams, or 4 more games. I can't say I noticed all that much of a difference when they expanded to 68, and I doubt expanding to 76 will really make a noticeable difference one way or the other. You just get 6 games on Tuesday night instead of 2.
-
Spring Ball 2026
I wonder how many football coaches are open to kids participating in spring/winter sport workouts during football season?
-
CJ's Jason Frakes Sweet 16 seeding proposal
Yes. There are many states that do computer based rankings (which I know aren't perfect), or a combination of conference/regional champs, and the next highest rated teams. Relying strictly on regions/district winners without considering competitive balance of those districts/regions is always going to leave good teams out.
-
CJ's Jason Frakes Sweet 16 seeding proposal
If you do that survey in KY, the answer will likely be KY. If you ask that in other states, you'll likely get different answers.
-
CJ's Jason Frakes Sweet 16 seeding proposal
No plan is perfect. And I'm not necessarily worried about getting the best 24 (or however many you choose). I do want to make sure we get at least the best 10 or 12 teams in, especially when the strongest few regions in the state have multiple teams that could contend.
-
CJ's Jason Frakes Sweet 16 seeding proposal
If you're married to the district-regional method of qualifying, the easiest way would be to keep the existing format with the 16 regional winners, but adding 8 at large teams for a 24 team tourney. Seed the top 8 (using region strength), random draw for the remaining 16. Obviously, you'd have to have a method to select the at large teams and the region strength, whether RPI or some other computer based formula (and I know how much everyone hates that). This keeps most of the existing format, while not punishing good teams from strong regions, and will pretty much ensure you've got the best teams playing for the prize, while still giving the "little guys" a chance and keeping Cindarella alive.
-
CJ's Jason Frakes Sweet 16 seeding proposal
Yes. But it's especially true here in Kentucky where all it takes is winning a few games in a weak region tournament. Kentucky doesn't even try to get the best 16 teams in.
-
CJ's Jason Frakes Sweet 16 seeding proposal
Can't be the best, when all the best teams don't get in.
-
CJ's Jason Frakes Sweet 16 seeding proposal
What's more important? Having good first round games, or having a great championship game? Random draws may create some good first/second round matchups, but down the road, it can create bad semifinal/championship games. Especially when there is so much disparity between regions in terms of strength allowing weaker teams to get in, and leaving strong teams out. Put the best teams in regardless of region, and you'll get better first round games AND a good semi-final/final. I could live with a random draw if they just put the best 16 teams in.
-
Coaching Staffs
It seems to be like this in every sport nowadays. When I played in the 80's, my football team had over 80 guys on the roster, and we had 4 coaches. The basketball team had 2 varsity coaches. My baseball team had 1. Now football staffs are often 8 or 9 or more. I'm not sure how many you need, or what the perfect number should be. But staffs certainly have at least doubled in size in the last 20 or so years.
-
2026 Anderson County Bearcats
Landmine exercises have been a revelation for me personally. I recently moved and with the new house, was able to expand my home gym to a space that's roughly 150 square feet, and added a landmine attachment. I wish I had started using one many years ago. There's so much stuff you can do and for a guy in his mid 50's, it's much easier on the joints. It's such a simple and inexpensive piece of equipment that all teams should add to their workout spaces.
-
Shot Clock
I'm not necessarily a fan of the shot clock, but I don't agree with the "if it isn't broke" thought. Whether it's you, your company, whatever, you constantly have to keep evolving and improving. Nothing worse than beoming stagnate. Because eventually, everything wears out or breaks. Better to evolve on your terms rather than waiting until something completely breaks.
-
Open Job: Conner
100%. Most schools likely have at least a few (if not more) teaching on an emergency certificate. You really don't need any experience or even a degree in education (although a degree is needed). There just aren't enough certified teachers available to fill all the spots.
-
Offseason 4: Episode 1 - Tough Topic #1 (Why are there so many open HFC jobs in KY?)
Don't get me wrong because pay is important. However, I don't know any coaches that got into coaching for the money. And there are plenty of coaches out there that are basically coaching for free because they love the game and love helping kids. I think it's more about how things have evolved. It takes more time and effort nowadays, even when compared to a decade or so ago. While it's always been a year round committment, it's especially true now. Spring ball, June practice, off season weights/conditioning and the season in KY starting in July really doesn't leave a lot of downtime. And teachers are already busier than ever, so coaching is getting less and less appealing. And it's getting harder and harder to find assistant coaches, of which you need a bunch now. I was talking with my old high school coach, and while I played there were a total of 4 varsity coaches....HC/OC, DC, and two other assistants. I can't imagine trying to get everything done with just 3 guys to help out. In short the grind is getting tougher and tougher and requiring more and more effort and time. Just paying more isn't going to fix or change that.
-
Snow Super Storm 1/24/26 & 1/25/26
This one has been all over the place. In a couple days, my app has shown anywhere from 0-12 inches. Started at 12 over the weekend, then dropped to 0 yesterday, and now predicting 4. Sounds like we won't know for sure until it happens.
-
Open Job: Scott - Dustin Trimnell named head coach (Not Official)
I don't disagree, and honestly I don't know if Perrin is "ready" or not. My point was that being young isn't necessarily an issue, and that others at that age have had success. Just like we've seen experienced, older guys get jobs, and crash and burn.
-
Open Job: Scott - Dustin Trimnell named head coach (Not Official)
There have been plenty of successful coaches who took over programs while still young. My son graduated the same year as Nelson, and has been a Head High school wrestling coach for 2 years. You really never know when somebody is "ready". And even when you think they are, every year is a learning experience. Even experienced coaches make mistakes, and have to continually improve.
-
NFL Black Monday/Coaching Carousel
Carroll is done in Vegas. Whoever gets this job will be the 16th coach of the Raiders since 2000 (really 15 because Gruden had two stints), and 6th since 2020. What a mess.
-
Open Job: Scott - Dustin Trimnell named head coach (Not Official)
Ken is a great dude, and the last few years for him at Scott they experienced a lot of success across several sports.