Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

I hate to be pessimistic about HS football myself, but I'm trying to determine a timeline for getting there. It isn't simply a matter of saying - OK, go play now. Teams spend weeks during the summer doing conditioning (getting the body ready). Then there is a dead period (who knows what happens with that). Then, practice begins. Coaches prepare a calendar for their teams to get ready. I can't see them saying that a shortened amount of conditioning or installation of a playbook will work. One thing that should be going on now is weightlifting. That's also a crucial part of conditioning. KY better get through those "phases" quick.

“We have very potent antibodies that can block the new coronavirus in the same spots that they blocked the old SARS”. ( CEO Jacob Glanville). After testing completed could be available in September at earliest.

This is why I’m optimistic about football in Fall. I believe there will be a treatment. They might push it back month and have a shorter season though.

'''We’ve completed the engineering on the medicine''': Distributed Bio CEO on coronavirus cure [Video]

You know as well as I do as long as school is in session they will play regardless of what the science says around us.

You know as well as I do as long as school is in session they will play regardless of what the science says around us.

Do you see a scenario where going to school together is okay but playing sports together is not okay?

Do you see a scenario where going to school together is okay but playing sports together is not okay?

Not really. I’m not sure how you can justify one and not the other. They’d have to do away with all PE classes to come close to justifying having school but no sports.

Those are my initial thoughts on it. They could evolve. I just think it would be a monumental task to say the schools can open back up but without sports allowed. Good luck with that one, school districts.

Not really. I’m not sure how you can justify one and not the other. They’d have to do away with all PE classes to come close to justifying having school but no sports.

Those are my initial thoughts on it. They could evolve. I just think it would be a monumental task to say the schools can open back up but without sports allowed. Good luck with that one, school districts.

I agree and when you extrapolate it out it means if we don't play high school football in the fall then we don't go to school in the fall and I believe we have to go to school in the fall.

Yes, since sports are considered extra curricular.

And classrooms can be spread out.

And school is non-contact, unlike football, soccer, wrestling, basketball, cheerleading (flyers), etc.

Not saying I agree with it.

But could I see it?

Yes. Definitely could.

And school is non-contact, unlike football, soccer, wrestling, basketball, cheerleading (flyers), etc.

But could I see it?

Yes. Definitely could.

You can't put 20 people in a room with an airborne virus and expect to be safe from transmission, not even close.

I agree and when you extrapolate it out it means if we don't play high school football in the fall then we don't go to school in the fall and I believe we have to go to school in the fall.

I think there will be an attempt for schools to re-open this fall. I could see us in a place where Phase 3 is either completed or close to completion when the time comes for school to start or to address re-opening schools. The question then becomes how real is the second wave and unfortunately that is an answer we don’t know. We just have to wait and see.

But could I see it?

Yes. Definitely could.

I could see it also but I don’t think it would happen. The outrage of not having fall sports with schools being open would be insane.

Potential goldmine for BGP. :lol2:

I could see it also but I don’t think it would happen. The outrage of not having fall sports with schools being open would be insane.

Potential goldmine for BGP. :lol2:

I doubt that. In fact, there are not any goldmines in Kentucky High Schools Sports. Think about it, the coverage is less and less all the time and we see newspapers dropping sports staff, newspapers dropping print versions, newspapers hiding behind paywalls, etc.

I doubt that. In fact, there are not any goldmines in Kentucky High Schools Sports. Think about it, the coverage is less and less all the time and we see newspapers dropping sports staff, newspapers dropping print versions, newspapers hiding behind paywalls, etc.

No argument there. I was thinking of all of the upset people/parents/fans/coaches/players who will need somewhere besides Facebook to vent and ask questions if school is in but sports are out.

BGP will get those folks for sure if school is allowed and sports aren’t allowed to be played. Lol.

Ohio has closed school for this year and said they anticipate online and in-class learning in 2021, whatever that means. Sounds like football remains up in the air?

Makes sense. There is zero ability to contain the virus right now. I’m not sure how football or fall sports in general will be possible without a vaccine or scientific reassurance that playing sports will be fine. Hell, I’m not sure how in-person school is possible but I guess we’ll find out how well these Phases work.

You can't put 20 people in a room with an airborne virus and expect to be safe from transmission, not even close.

I think it's a lot easier to mandate masks and sanitation and health guidelines in a school setting as opposed to a sports setting.

Trying to play sports in a mask would be awful.

I grew up asthmatic. I'm a mouth breather. Wear a mask every day in a warehouse. It sucks.

And never mind people touching and sweating on each other in basketball, football, soccer and, egads , wrestling.

So given the opinion of school or sports, I'm taking school.

(Granted my bank account has been crushed not having sports to cover as a freelancer).

No. If school is back to normal, I would expect sports (and all extra curricular activities) would be back to normal. I just don't see a clear path to normal anytime soon. I fear sports being in danger for quite some time.