Open Job: Mayfield

• theguru changed the title to Open Job: Mayfield

End of an era. What a great run. I would hate to have to follow a legend. I would be surprised if it was anyone other than those 2 names. 

• Like 2

Has anyone seen anything from Coach Morris about stepping down?  I mean something like this from Coach Greer of Corbin:

And I am only using Corbin/Coach Greer as an example of what I am not seeing yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, theguru said:

In short everyone, I am told there is a lot more to this story but I don't know what that "a lot more" is yet. 

I’m hoping a legend got to go out on his own terms. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, theguru said:

Welcome to BGP @redtop4star!

===============

I didn't see this one coming.  Who is on the short list?  Coach Dew, Coach Hatchell?

If I was to guess Hatchell will get the head coaching job. But there is a wrench to throw in there. Hatchell has been the assistant principal the past few years and the superintendent just retired also and the current principal got that job, so what I am getting at is Hatchell is also definitely in the running for principal which I would guess pays more than head football coach. In my understanding you cannot be principal and head coach. So in that case, which do you choose if you have both options? The legacy as head football coach at Mayfield? (who has only had 3 different head coaches in the past 54 years) or do you take the better paying job as principal? I have been told Dew does not want the head job (don’t know whether that is true or not). Other candidates in my mind would be Jay Burgett who was a senior on the undefeated 2002 state championship team who was head coach at Madisonville-NH and is currently a principal in Paducah or maybe Nick Kemp who was in the same graduating class on the 2002 team who is the former head coach at Graves County. Any way I look at it I think they keep the head coaching job in house whether it be a current member of the coaching staff or a former player with head coaching experience elsewhere. No matter which way they go it will be a new era as they transition from a head coach who had been there 25 years!

• Thanks 1

Another name to be thrown out amongst alumni with experience. Chris Champion currently at Calloway County. I could see that one happening if no current in house guys are wanting that kind of load. 

While I'm surprised by this, it sounds like Coach Morris is going out on his own terms.  He is a Legend no doubt.  Hope he enjoys his retirement!  25 years as head coach - that's impressive in this day and age!

Good luck to the next Mayfield Coach.  That is an unenviable position to be in to follow Coach Morris, but a GREAT opportunity in an area of the State that expects to win!

• Like 2