2024 Highlands Bluebirds

image.png.3b271c566eb59aa4a55225872e8766fb.png

2023 Outcome

Record: 12-2

The Birds finally in year 3 of the Sphire era got back to being a title contender in 5A, they were a top of several state wide polls during the season including our very own 5A BGP weekly poll several weeks during the year.  The Birds were led by the Middle Tennessee State commit Brody Benke who at the next level will play TE but for the Birds he was QB1, with the ability to run over defenses as well.  The Birds 2 losses were against Cov Cath (35-21) early in the season and then the disappointing heartbreaker of a loss versus Cooper (the rematch) in the State Semifinal game at Fort Thomas (17-15).  Cam Giesler was the leader in rushing for the Birds finally having a season everyone thought he could all along rushing for a total of 1,380 yards and 11 TDs.  Carson Class led the receiving core for the Birds tallying 622 yards receiving with 10 TDs.  Unfortunately, all of those players mentioned will not be with the Birds program next year due to them all being Seniors and graduating.

Highlands 2023 Statistical Leaders

Graduated: Brody Benke (QB) | Cam Giesler (RB) | Carson Class (WR/P) | Matteo Matteoli (WR) | Davis Hinegardner (WR) | Nate Welch (DB) | Dalton Roller (LB) | Christian Stojkovic (LB) | Leo Fenik (LB) | Reed Hellman (LB) | Lincoln Hicks (DB) | Luke Schneider (TE) | Gabe Fassler (C) | Evan Johnson (OL) | Hollon Schweitzer (OL/DL) | Carson Shelton (DL) | Josh Studer (OL/DL) |

Returning Starters/Contributors: Rio Litmer (QB) | Devon James (RB) | Jack White (RB) | Adam Surrey (WR) | Tommy Ferring (WR) | Jackson Arnold (WR) | Max Merz (OL) |

Bullpen: Tayden Lorenzen (QB/TE/LB?) | Gabe Williams (RB) | Teegan Haretuku (OL/DL)

2024 Outlook

The biggest question of the offseason: Who will be the Birds QB1 in 2024?  Will it be (incoming Jr) Rio Litmer who has been hoping for this opportunity for a few years.  Some people thought this past season was going to be his season with Benke out wide as a TE target, apparently things changed in the summer to have Benke coming out strong as QB1 and Litmer took a backseat for the season getting some limited reps throughout the year on some gadget plays or when running clocks were rung, or do we have some controversy brewing with (Incoming Soph) Tayden Lorenzen sitting a year behind Litmer as a QB competitor?  Luckily like Benke, Lorenzen can contribute in several other positions instead of QB if the staff decides to give Litmer the play calling duties at the beginning. Running the ball will easily transition to Devan James, Jack White and the incoming Sophomore phenome Gabe Williams. A lot of graduates from the line will need to be replaced but (Incoming Jr) Max Merz who is already getting looked at, at the next level will be the stud coming back to anchor the OL, look for (incoming Soph) Haratuku to make a similar splash as Merz did this past season on the OL/DL. 

So many other young prospects that are coming up, I’ll let our faithful do more justice than me if they so choose too.  I look forward to a season similar to Cooper had in 2023, there might be some growing pains early with such a So/Jr heavy roster getting plenty of playing time, will it pay dividends in November as it did for the boys from Longbranch?

2024 schedule:

Aug 9 at Male (Scrimmage)
Aug 16 Blue vs. White (Scrimmage)
Aug 23 vs. Lexington Catholic
Aug 30 at Covington Catholic
Sep 6 at Campbell County
Sep 13 at Ryle
Sep 20 vs. Raceland
Sep 27 vs. Cooper (District)
Oct 4 vs. Dixie Heights (District)
Oct 11 at Boone County (District)
Oct 18 at Conner (District)
Oct 25 vs. Scott (District)
Nov 1 – BYE

Way too early to predict record or success, especially how young this team will come out of the gate as.  At the end of the day though, I am so looking forward to hearing the cannon blasting on Friday nights once again!

Let the discussions begin!!!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

The Birds have the components for a great passing game, whether it's Litmer or Lorenzen pulling the trigger. The ground game is a different story, with Giesler, Benke, and most of the offensive line gone.

Looks like the defense has a ton to replace. Could be a back seat year for Highlands, with Cooper firmly in the district - and maybe NKY's - driver's seat.

OK, I did some roster experience research and what I figured out was actually pretty interesting.  In light of the Birds graduating 25 Seniors and the upcoming Senior class only having 16 in it as long as everyone comes back from this past season and no one comes out of no where, I assumed that we lose a lot of experience and might appear very young.  

Here is something interesting to chew on....  Guess how many of those 25 Seniors played ALL 12 games as a Junior?  Answer: 4 (Benke, Class, Giesler & Welch)

Now what will shock you (at least it shocked me), how many of these 16 upcoming Seniors played ALL 14 games this past season?  Answer:  8 (Arnold, Gregory, Howard, McCarter, Nickelman, Surrey, Ferring & Grimm)

My point is (if I have one), there is a LOT of experience in this smaller Senior class, double the amount of this past Senior class going into their Senior year.  On top of all of this we have probably the BIGGEST class moving up the food chain with 30 upcoming Juniors!!!!  I could go back to fact check this but I am not, this has to be the biggest class in the football program in a VERY LONG TIME!!!  

As far as @DevilMayCare synopsis on the OL/DL, I think we are going to be just fine in that category, we have some really really nice big guys that are ready to be the next man up on the line!

So I retract my statement about the Birds being soooo young, maybe just maybe it's not as young as you would assume after graduating 25 players.....

#GOBIRDS!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 2/6/2024 at 8:58 AM, FrankNicodemus said:

OK, I did some roster experience research and what I figured out was actually pretty interesting.  In light of the Birds graduating 25 Seniors and the upcoming Senior class only having 16 in it as long as everyone comes back from this past season and no one comes out of no where, I assumed that we lose a lot of experience and might appear very young.  

Here is something interesting to chew on....  Guess how many of those 25 Seniors played ALL 12 games as a Junior?  Answer: 4 (Benke, Class, Giesler & Welch)

Now what will shock you (at least it shocked me), how many of these 16 upcoming Seniors played ALL 14 games this past season?  Answer:  8 (Arnold, Gregory, Howard, McCarter, Nickelman, Surrey, Ferring & Grimm)

My point is (if I have one), there is a LOT of experience in this smaller Senior class, double the amount of this past Senior class going into their Senior year.  On top of all of this we have probably the BIGGEST class moving up the food chain with 30 upcoming Juniors!!!!  I could go back to fact check this but I am not, this has to be the biggest class in the football program in a VERY LONG TIME!!!  

As far as @DevilMayCare synopsis on the OL/DL, I think we are going to be just fine in that category, we have some really really nice big guys that are ready to be the next man up on the line!

So I retract my statement about the Birds being soooo young, maybe just maybe it's not as young as you would assume after graduating 25 players.....

#GOBIRDS!!!!

I think the Birds will be competitive, but I don't think they beat Cooper. Your claim about the 4 seniors (Welch, Class, Benke, and Geisler) that were juniors at the time doesn't tell the whole truth. I could go through names, but I counted at least 10-12 guys that were significant contributors at the varsity level as juniors and that doesn't even count the 4 you mentioned. I think this is a rebuilding year for the Birds. They will have a shot at state with the current sophomore class and freshman class when they are seniors and juniors. 

Merz, Surrey, Arnold, McCarter, and Grimm have proven themselves as far as being the "dudes" through my eyes. There are a lot of questions on the offensive line and at the quarterback position which I believe to be the main formula for being a great high school football team. I'm excited to see them go to work and get this season going. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Really hoping Lorenzen gets a shot at QB.  From the limited looks he looks to be the real deal as both a runner and passer.

Was he not the back-up qb on the freshman team? And you have expectations of him starting varsity as a sophomore?  Am I missing something? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bigblue96 said:

Was he not the back-up qb on the freshman team? And you have expectations of him starting varsity as a sophomore?  Am I missing something? 

Lorenzen and Cale Harris split reps both on the freshman level and junior varsity level. Tayden plays exactly like his dad, but he is a righty. Cale is a stud and can sling the ball on a rope. Tayden was the better Tight End out of the 2 of them, so he ended up playing more TE. However, when Tayden was at QB, it was electric. Each of them got enough reps at the Freshman and JV level to where I am not concerned that they will be contributors at the varsity level soon, may that be at QB??? Only time will tell, but they are 2 great athletes and better kids. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ballfan934 said:

Lorenzen and Cale Harris split reps both on the freshman level and junior varsity level. Tayden plays exactly like his dad, but he is a righty. Cale is a stud and can sling the ball on a rope. Tayden was the better Tight End out of the 2 of them, so he ended up playing more TE. However, when Tayden was at QB, it was electric. Each of them got enough reps at the Freshman and JV level to where I am not concerned that they will be contributors at the varsity level soon, may that be at QB??? Only time will tell, but they are 2 great athletes and better kids. 

Lorenzen will do what's best for the Program whether it be playing TE, QB or even MLB. He will play somewhere on the Field next year. Too good not to be on the field. I watched him a couple of times at MLB last year and the kid just gets it. He does and see things not many kids see for only being a Freshman. Having a kid that talented at multiple positions and for being so young will be a huge help for Highlands on Friday Nights. The kid can literally do it all.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

If CovCath stays in 4A for awhile I can see this matchup taking its place as a real rivalry game in the next few years, given the games are competitive. It’ll be interesting to see who steps up to fill the holes left by the graduating seniors.