2024 Highlands Bluebirds

8 hours ago, futurecoach said:

To be fair, if the situation was reversed and Highlands just made state and basically return their whole team. I would say most of the Highlands faithful would be saying very similar, and not thinking a team that lost basically all their starters should be getting talked as highly as them, no matter how much younger talent that other team may have coming up. So while I don’t think he should be saying a team is scared, because that’s just silly. If the situation was reversed, can guarantee the Highlands faithful would be talking a very big game about this coming season. 

If the situation was reversed, Highlands fans would be blowing this thread up and any other threads involving their opponents (especially Cooper or CovCath) and any threads claiming any team was better than Highlands. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, NKY-guy said:

Highlands lives in your heads rent free , I don't blame you for talking a big game to be honest , a lot to be proud of . This is a Highlands thread though?? Why ain't you guys doing it on Bowling Greens page , they are the only ones you have to worry about , right??

Highlands lives in my head rent free (so do a lot of schools).  🙂

I would say be thankful other fanatics are so tuned into Highlands football because I am not sure their accomplishments over the last decade warrant it. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, theguru said:

I would say be thankful other fanatics are so tuned into Highlands football because I am not sure their accomplishments over the last decade warrant it. 

Highlands has always reminded me of Notre Dame in this way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theguru said:

I will take your advice and wisdom on this one @theguru , well said !!

• Like 1

Trying to move forward here, I am to point where the Highlands on the jersey no longer means much to me.  It used to mean a lot, but not anymore. 

As happy I was for Cooper in 2023, I would like to see Highlands turn the tables this year and surprise everyone by making it to the state championship.

Who thinks Highlands will make it to the state championship in 2024?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NKY-guy said:

Highlands lives in your heads rent free , I don't blame you for talking a big game to be honest , a lot to be proud of . This is a Highlands thread though?? Why ain't you guys doing it on Bowling Greens page , they are the only ones you have to worry about , right??

🤣😂 rent free? You do realize Highlands folk are ones who brought up Cooper initially in this thread right? So I’m just commenting on how some Highlands fans are now making sarcastic comments like might as well mail the trophy to Cooper, just because some people have talked Cooper up. So just reminding you all of the fact how the game you all would be talking would be even more if situations were reversed. Like it or not in 5A in NKY going into this year, Cooper is an obstacle they have to get through and vice versa. 

Also you are coming at the wrong guy with this stuff. As other Highlands fans on here would say, I have said a few times that Highlands is the wild card team in 5A going into this year. They are loaded with younger talent, just depends how quickly they adjust to varsity play. Especially when the other 3 state semi-finalist from last year in Cooper, BG, and Owensboro return basically their whole teams, while Highlands lost basically all their starters from that semi final team. So it’s a little different getting through that at the varsity level, than it is dominating freshman and JV games. Not to mention you got other teams like South Warren, Southwestern, Pulaski County returns their whole team, and Scott County is always tough. So just will depend on how quickly that great young talent adjust to varsity and playing against teams that have already been doing it at the varsity level. Highlands is going to be very good, and if another top team takes them lightly then that team will be in trouble. Highlands as I have said all off season is the wild card team in 5A. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, theguru said:

If the situation was reversed, Highlands fans would be blowing this thread up and any other threads involving their opponents (especially Cooper or CovCath) and any threads claiming any team was better than Highlands. 

Exactly.

I heard last Night the size of the Highlands OL next year. Oh my. Just crazy. And to think in 2025 they will be probably bigger.

6"4-310 JR  M. Merz

6"4-310 JR  M. Howard

6"4"-280 JR  B. Cook

6"2"-275 So  T.Haretuku

6"0"-260 SR  T. Bryant

6"0"-280 SR  D. Race

6"1"-280 JR  P. Murriner

6"2-225 SR/TE  T. Ferring

Some serious Girth. I will predict that SR RB Jack White will have some serious Numbers running behind that Big Blue Wall and the Highlands Offensive scheme. Exciting to see that Highlands is just reloading. When was the last time Highlands has had a OL this Big? I remember some big Kids back in the Mueller Era but this is just Nuts to have that many to choose from.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, theguru said:

Trying to move forward here, I am to point where the Highlands on the jersey no longer means much to me.  It used to mean a lot, but not anymore. 

As happy I was for Cooper in 2023, I would like to see Highlands turn the tables this year and surprise everyone by making it to the state championship.

My guess is they’ll end up being pretty good, but would be surprised to see them beat Cooper in either game. 

Not related, but looking at this, I think the Cov Cath game is a toss up week 2. I could see us being better at the skill positions but might get really beat up in the run game on defense. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BirdDaddy said:

I heard last Night the size of the Highlands OL next year. Oh my. Just crazy. And to think in 2025 they will be probably bigger.

6"4-310 JR  M. Merz

6"4-310 JR  M. Howard

6"4"-280 JR  B. Cook

6"2"-275 So  T.Haretuku

6"0"-260 SR  T. Bryant

6"0"-280 SR  D. Race

6"1"-280 JR  P. Murriner

Some serious Girth. I will predict that SR RB Jack White will have some serious Numbers running behind that Big Blue Wall and the Highlands Offensive scheme. Exciting to see that Highlands is just reloading. When was the last time Highlands has had a OL this Big? I remember some big Kids back in the Mueller Era but this is just Nuts to have that many to choose from.

There is realistically 4-5 guys who can produce at a very high level at the RB spot. White , Niemann , Williams , James , Grimm. That position could be an improvement from last year. 

I think Issac Niemann schocks NKY this year on both sides of the ball but especially LB.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BirdDaddy said:

6"4-310 JR  M. Merz

6"4-310 JR  M. Howard

6"4"-280 JR  B. Cook

6"2"-275 So  T.Haretuku

6"0"-260 SR  T. Bryant

6"0"-280 SR  D. Race

6"1"-280 JR  P. Murriner

I said this multiple times this past season, there is something in the water lately in Fort Thomas.....These kids are getting so much bigger than the past 10 years prior.

On 2/22/2024 at 7:10 PM, theguru said:

I see Highlands making it to State and winning. Stars have aligned!

#24n24

• Like 2

On 2/22/2024 at 6:10 PM, theguru said:

Thinking Highlands will make a SC and/or win it requires, at least to me, a touch of evidence to support that theory. Other than some metrics posted of some size for the Bluebirds, I am failing to see much provided. Its February and super early, but I'm not so sure Highlands has the credentials currently to lay any claims of that nature.

Since their return to 5A in 2015, the results have been overwhelmingly disappointing if we're using Highlands standards of the past as a measuring stick.

I guess what I am saying is, I'll change when the facts change, as should anyone else.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2024 at 7:10 PM, theguru said:

Depends on escaping injuries and how the next "best group of freshmen" mature. People forget that sometimes a team's success is aided immensely by key injuries to their opponents along the road to the state championship. I felt the Birds had a nice shot last year, but Cooper kept getting better each week, had a good plan for the game, and had an entire team that felt they would beat Highlands. They demolished Collins and Scott County and could have scored from the half yard line against Southwestern to make it look worse, but did the right thing and took a knee a couple times. Bowling Green was just more athletic and took advantage of a couple special teams mistakes.

• Like 1