2024 Highlands Bluebirds

25 minutes ago, BillNye said:

Thinking Highlands will make a SC and/or win it requires, at least to me, a touch of evidence to support that theory. Other than some metrics posted of some size for the Bluebirds, I am failing to see much provided. Its February and super early, but I'm not so sure Highlands has the credentials currently to lay any claims of that nature.

Since their return to 5A in 2015, the results have been overwhelmingly disappointing if we're using Highlands standards of the past as a measuring stick.

I guess what I am saying is, I'll change when the facts change, as should anyone else.

logical.gif

21 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Depends on escaping injuries and how the next "best group of freshmen" mature. People forget that sometimes a team's success is aided immensely by key injuries to their opponents along the road to the state championship. I felt the Birds had a nice shot last year, but Cooper kept getting better each week, had a good plan for the game, and had an entire team that felt they would beat Highlands. They demolished Collins and Scott County and could have scored from the half yard line against Southwestern to make it look worse, but did the right thing and took a knee a couple times. Bowling Green was just more athletic and took advantage of a couple special teams mistakes.

One thing I think most everyone can agree on is Bowling Green was the best team in 5A.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, theguru said:

One thing I think most everyone can agree on is Bowling Green was the best team in 5A.

I think they were at a different level when it came to speed and quickness.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 8:39 AM, BirdDaddy said:

I heard last Night the size of the Highlands OL next year. Oh my. Just crazy. And to think in 2025 they will be probably bigger.

6"4-310 JR  M. Merz

6"4-310 JR  M. Howard

6"4"-280 JR  B. Cook

6"2"-275 So  T.Haretuku

6"0"-260 SR  T. Bryant

6"0"-280 SR  D. Race

6"1"-280 JR  P. Murriner

6"2-225 SR/TE  T. Ferring

Some serious Girth. I will predict that SR RB Jack White will have some serious Numbers running behind that Big Blue Wall and the Highlands Offensive scheme. Exciting to see that Highlands is just reloading. When was the last time Highlands has had a OL this Big? I remember some big Kids back in the Mueller Era but this is just Nuts to have that many to choose from.

What about Ike Schutte 6'4 310?

13 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Here is the biggest question concerning the Birds team in 2024, who plays quarterback?  Expect an entirely different offense this year versus last.

Any chance we see a two headed monster at QB for the Birds? The different skill sets of Litmer and Lorenzen could make the team very difficult to prepare for if both see snaps at multiple positions including QB.

On 2/26/2024 at 9:22 AM, En Fuego Hombre said:

Any chance we see a two headed monster at QB for the Birds? The different skill sets of Litmer and Lorenzen could make the team very difficult to prepare for if both see snaps at multiple positions including QB.

Couldn’t they have done that this past season if they wanted to with Benke and Rio? I know they did a little bit, but not much. 

I will say while it always sounds like a great idea having two QBs getting reps in games. It is also very rare where you actually see it work out well, and seems to usually have an offense never fully click when switching back and forth between QBs. Usually a play here or there or maybe a series, but usually offenses that truly try to use two quarterbacks never works out that well. 

On 2/25/2024 at 11:38 AM, MaddenCurse44 said:

What about Ike Schutte 6'4 310?

I don't think Ike still plays. He may help out with the Team but with some lingering Injuries, it was in his best interest not to continue to play Football. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It seems that many of the Highlands faithful are seeing this as a breakout year for the Birds.  If they fail to produce as expected, will the head coach start getting fingers pointed in his direction as the reason the team is not meeting expectations? 

55 minutes ago, En Fuego Hombre said:

It seems that many of the Highlands faithful are seeing this as a breakout year for the Birds.  If they fail to produce as expected, will the head coach start getting fingers pointed in his direction as the reason the team is not meeting expectations? 

I thought last year was the big year for the Birds to return to form.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 8:39 AM, BirdDaddy said:

I heard last Night the size of the Highlands OL next year. Oh my. Just crazy. And to think in 2025 they will be probably bigger.

6"4-310 JR  M. Merz

6"4-310 JR  M. Howard

6"4"-280 JR  B. Cook

6"2"-275 So  T.Haretuku

6"0"-260 SR  T. Bryant

6"0"-280 SR  D. Race

6"1"-280 JR  P. Murriner

6"2-225 SR/TE  T. Ferring

Some serious Girth. I will predict that SR RB Jack White will have some serious Numbers running behind that Big Blue Wall and the Highlands Offensive scheme. Exciting to see that Highlands is just reloading. When was the last time Highlands has had a OL this Big? I remember some big Kids back in the Mueller Era but this is just Nuts to have that many to choose from.

Crazy part is these are, for the most part, legit size and weights with little embellishments. I think Cook is closer to 6’3, but Howard is actually bigger than Merz right now I think. At least he looked like it this past week when I saw him on beach! lol!

• Like 2