12th Region Off-Season Discussion (2024-2025)

As we turn the lights off in the gym for the final time of the 2023-2024 season, it is now time to turn our attention to what lays ahead. And boy are we getting off to a loud off-season in the 12th region.

Wayne County - How could we not start here? Rodney Woods, 38 year veteran coach of the Wayne County Cardinals, a man whose name is spoken with the same reverence as Bobby Keith and Jim Hicks, was let go from his post this past week by the new superintendent. What comes next for Coach Woods? Who fills his position in Monticello? The Cardinals are poised to have a huge year next year but will this move derail things?

Pulaski County - Can they replicate the late season success they had? Will they be able to add any depth? Will their schedule toughen up at all in the front end?

West Jessamine - Are we really looking at Steve Wright descending upon the northern part of the region? Can the next coach, be it him or someone else, get things going back in the right direction in Nicholasville?

Danville Christian - Are they the early favorites to repeat as All A Champs as well as possibly the favorites to win it all? How much depth will they have? 

Somerset - Will Absher, Bruner, Lewis and Grundy be able to make the Jumpers competitive still following the losses of Godby, Whitaker and Coomer? Will Ryan Young still be at the helm?

Other burning questions - Will a junior Walker Craig keep Rockcastle near the top of the region? Who does East Jessamine hire? Will Boyle be more consistent? Will Mercer have another run at region? Will Lincoln County be able to reload behind Cash Baird with the losses of Nuckols and Miracle? Is Southwestern ready to make the jump after a nice second half of the season?

Please feel free to discuss these questions and beyond.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DanvilleFan said:

This was a rebuilding year for Danville under Ford.  I'm looking forward to seeing what year 2 brings for the Ads.

They certainly had a promising start but weren't yet at the level to sustain that success. Certainly reason to believe they should be able to build off of that.

• Like 2

Absher, Lewis and Bruner will be a good backcourt.  Player development and scheme still play a role in some programs in the portal era.  Absher is much further along than Godby was as a SO, and has a well-rounded skill set.  I don't think anyone would've predicted Godby to be POY as a SO.  Work Ethic, establishing a good culture, player development and scheme all play a role.

• Like 1

DCA is certainly All-A favorites with how much they return.  I would say Pulaski, Wayne (assuming everyone is there) and DCA are the preseason favorites in some order.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LethalPG said:

It will be interesting to see who lands at East and West Jess.  I know they swung big, but did they connect?

If West didn’t land Steve Wright (which I still believe they did), do you think Ryan Young could potentially be the hire? 

DCA has to figure out the best way to use their size.  I don’t think they maximized the two big guys last year.  

On top of that, they need to do a better job at peaking by tournament time.  The last two years they were worn out going in to the district.  

• Like 1

Just now, 24Rocks said:

DCA has to figure out the best way to use their size.  I don’t think they maximized the two big guys last year.  

On top of that, they need to do a better job at peaking by tournament time.  The last two years they were worn out going in to the district.  

Why do you think DCA was worn out?  I find that odd with young men. 

11 minutes ago, theguru said:

Why do you think DCA was worn out?  I find that odd with young men. 

Their recovery ability is not any better than older players.  You can spot it if you know what you’re looking for.  Slow reaction time, lack of effort on the offensive boards, standing and watching, their shot is off and as they try to fix it they get worse.  Poor decision making (really dumb turnovers….).

I spot it because I lived it.  I played for a coach who ran us in to the ground.  Two weeks after the season and after I got my legs fully recovered I was playing way better than I was right before the district tournament.

I was an assistant coach in a boy’s program years ago and our kids were in the same boat.  I convinced him to give them 2 or 3 days off and at the next practice we had three boys dunk for the first time in their lives.  We went on to beat a team we weren’t supposed to beat and closed out the season strong.

I know for a fact that several of the DCA players lost a significant amount of weight during the 2022-23 season and that’s another sign of overtraining.  

• Like 2

Don't see much change at the top next season. Will be 4-5 teams with a legitimate shot to win it.

DCA lost a 9pt lead with 43 secs left in regulation to lose to a good Somerset team in triple overtime. As far as "peaking too early" goes...

They were 7-3 prior to January 1st, and 18-3 in the last 21 going into Region semis. I don't think it was a matter of peaking too early as much as it was losing a game they win in that circumastance 99.9999999% of the time. 

They were 25-7 with zero bad losses. Basketball can be cruel, and it is never easy to win no matter who you have on the floor!

Looking forward to next season!

1 minute ago, 24Rocks said:

Their recovery ability is not any better than older players.  You can spot it if you know what you’re looking for.  Slow reaction time, lack of effort on the offensive boards, standing and watching, their shot is off and as they try to fix it they get worse.  Poor decision making (really dumb turnovers….).

I spot it because I lived it.  I played for a coach who ran us in to the ground.  Two weeks after the season and after I got my legs fully recovered I was playing way better than I was right before the district tournament.

I was an assistant coach in a boy’s program years ago and our kids were in the same boat.  I convinced him to give them 2 or 3 days off and at the next practice we had three boys dunk for the first time in their lives.  We went on to beat a team we weren’t supposed to beat and closed out the season strong.

I know for a fact that several of the DCA players lost a significant amount of weight during the 2022-23 season and that’s another sign of overtraining.  

Interesting and thank you.  A couple of things here that I certainly agree with, sometimes you need extra rest and when you get it, look out.  And for sure on losing weight.  Anytime you cannot maintain weight (and are not trying to lose it) there is a problem. 

42 minutes ago, 12th Region Fan said:

If West didn’t land Steve Wright (which I still believe they did), do you think Ryan Young could potentially be the hire? 

I don't think so.  Big middle school class coming in.  I don't think he would leave to rebuild another school.