12th Region Off-Season Discussion (2024-2025)

43 minutes ago, MCSHS said:

Danville boys head coach position is posted on the school website as of today.

Sad to hear that.  I thought as an alum Ford would stay in that job for a while.  Danville should make an immediate call to Woods.  He won't take it but hey, a man can dream!

I doubt Boyle is more consistent. They lose Avery Bodner to graduation. But will also like lose Montavin Quisenberry, Demauriah Brown, and Brock Driver to early graduation for football. 

3 hours ago, DearToday said:

I doubt Boyle is more consistent. They lose Avery Bodner to graduation. But will also like lose Montavin Quisenberry, Demauriah Brown, and Brock Driver to early graduation for football. 

Ouch. Yeah, those are some huge losses. I didn’t know about the early graduates.

18 hours ago, se7ens said:

Ouch. Yeah, those are some huge losses. I didn’t know about the early graduates.

It’s not for sure. But just speculating, they’re all pretty high football recruits who will want to get a leg up on the competition. 

6 minutes ago, DearToday said:

It’s not for sure. But just speculating, they’re all pretty high football recruits who will want to get a leg up on the competition. 

I'm not sure how they can get their senior English requirement in when they do that but there must be a way because it seems like a common practice.  

2 hours ago, 24Rocks said:

I'm not sure how they can get their senior English requirement in when they do that but there must be a way because it seems like a common practice.  

Most English IV classes are only a semester long and not a whole year.

• Like 1

I like Mercer, Wayne and DCA as the top 3 next year. Mercer didn’t lose much nor did Wayne (other than their coach). Mercer returns the best player in the region and I’m hearing they may have a couple transfers that would help. They will likely have all the pieces to get it done.

With a good coach, Wayne is a contender next year. Phillips and Dumphord are a couple top 10 caliber players. DCA lost a key part in Dut but returns 4 starters. I think Atteny could contend with Ellis for the best player in the region next year. However, they will struggle more than ever with depth, and they seemed to peak too early each of the last two years.

East, if they get the right coach and maintain everyone, could be top 5. And could have a few good years given the young talent they have. That’d be good to see as they haven’t been in that spot for some time. They have a top 10 talent in Jones and I think he will make them competitive. I also think West will be much improved. If their new big is eligible and they land a good coach, they could really surprise on the upside. That group plays as hard as any team. They may be a year away, but I think they’ll be much more competitive next year. And I think they’ll be a real contender in two years and be back in the mix moving forward.

Pulaski and Somerset lost a lot so I don’t think they’ll be top 5 this year, though I thought that about Pulaski the previous year! And they do have some solid younger guys and a proven system.

Danville & Boyle don’t figure to be in the mix. Danville didn’t field enough talent last year to be competitive, even if all returned (and some won’t). I just don’t see how they get it turned around. Boyle had the talent the last couple years but failed to make a splash. Next year will mark the beginning of a stint with significantly less talent. With the 3 football players leaving early and the speculation around other kids not playing, it doesn’t look promising. I suspect you could pull players out of the halls of these two schools and have the talent to compete with their varsity squads.

Overall, considering expected talent and coaching, I’m going with Mercer as the favorite in the 12th next year.

DCA lost a key part in Dut but returns 4 starters.

Actually, they return 5 players who started during the season.  Billy Inmon started the first part of the season when they went 18-5.  When Ateny became eligible he moved into that slot.  Inmon's not in the same category as Ateny or Dut but he does have some experience.  You're entirely correct in your comment about their lack of depth.  They have a couple of sophomores who will need to step up in Dadisman and Motley.  If the coaches can just get solid play out of that 5th slot and figure out how to use the two big guys to their best advantage they should be in good shape.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 4:38 PM, ElitePatriot said:

Wonder who Danville will attempt to go for? 

35 minutes ago, ElitePatriot said:

Any updates on this one?

Here is the proper place for that discussion now:

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 11:13 AM, QueenoftheSouth said:

I like Mercer, Wayne and DCA as the top 3 next year. Mercer didn’t lose much nor did Wayne (other than their coach). Mercer returns the best player in the region and I’m hearing they may have a couple transfers that would help. They will likely have all the pieces to get it done.

With a good coach, Wayne is a contender next year. Phillips and Dumphord are a couple top 10 caliber players. DCA lost a key part in Dut but returns 4 starters. I think Atteny could contend with Ellis for the best player in the region next year. However, they will struggle more than ever with depth, and they seemed to peak too early each of the last two years.

East, if they get the right coach and maintain everyone, could be top 5. And could have a few good years given the young talent they have. That’d be good to see as they haven’t been in that spot for some time. They have a top 10 talent in Jones and I think he will make them competitive. I also think West will be much improved. If their new big is eligible and they land a good coach, they could really surprise on the upside. That group plays as hard as any team. They may be a year away, but I think they’ll be much more competitive next year. And I think they’ll be a real contender in two years and be back in the mix moving forward.

Pulaski and Somerset lost a lot so I don’t think they’ll be top 5 this year, though I thought that about Pulaski the previous year! And they do have some solid younger guys and a proven system.

Danville & Boyle don’t figure to be in the mix. Danville didn’t field enough talent last year to be competitive, even if all returned (and some won’t). I just don’t see how they get it turned around. Boyle had the talent the last couple years but failed to make a splash. Next year will mark the beginning of a stint with significantly less talent. With the 3 football players leaving early and the speculation around other kids not playing, it doesn’t look promising. I suspect you could pull players out of the halls of these two schools and have the talent to compete with their varsity squads.

Overall, considering expected talent and coaching, I’m going with Mercer as the favorite in the 12th next year.

Pulaski should have more expectations coming into the season this coming year than last. Losing Blankenship will hurt them tremendously. That kid played his heart out every single night. However, a healthy Carson Fraley with Anderson, Cook, and Idlewine  would warrant them to be in the top 5 in my opinion. 

I do agree on your top 3. I may put them in a different order, but that is the three. Should be an exciting offseason, and summer ball will be here soon! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 12th Region Fan said:

Pulaski should have more expectations coming into the season this coming year than last. Losing Blankenship will hurt them tremendously. That kid played his heart out every single night. However, a healthy Carson Fraley with Anderson, Cook, and Idlewine  would warrant them to be in the top 5 in my opinion. 

I do agree on your top 3. I may put them in a different order, but that is the three. Should be an exciting offseason, and summer ball will be here soon! 

Until someone beats Pulaski they are the favorite. They return plenty and I think won both the JV and Freshman regions. Mercer had them on the ropes and couldn’t get it done. I read in another post that Wayne hadn’t beat them in 10 years. The three teams listed all have a shot but have to go do it. 

• Like 2

On 3/30/2024 at 1:11 PM, PurplePride92 said:

Are there going to be any re-districting and school movements going on anytime soon?  

Do you mean realignment of districts by the KHSAA? I think its coming but I'm not sure about a time-table. I don't know if it will have much of an affect on the 12th Region.