NCAA Transfer Portal: Entering and Committing

Believe I saw in the Summitt League, that every 1st and 2nd team player eligible to return to college has entered the transfer portal. My assumption is every person is entering the portal until I hear otherwise. Had we tried explaining this to our future selves 20 years ago, we would have died laughing and called it impossible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• theguru changed the title to NCAA Transfer Portal: Entering and Committing
6 hours ago, bugatti said:

Believe I saw in the Summitt League, that every 1st and 2nd team player eligible to return to college has entered the transfer portal. My assumption is every person is entering the portal until I hear otherwise. Had we tried explaining this to our future selves 20 years ago, we would have died laughing and called it impossible.

It will be interesting to see where this ends up in 5-10 years.  But no doubt about it, if you're a guy that is a starter/stud at one school, there is a very good chance the transfer portal will show you what your market value is at another school with NIL. It also doesn't mean you must transfer. 

On a side note, we talked about Thiero in particular today at work.  Unless he truly wants to transfer because he isn't happy, worried about playing time etc. Him entering the transfer portal will undoubtedly give him a chance to see what his NIL value is at UK. I'm sure he will get $$$$ numbers on what the folks in Lexington are willing to give him to stick around at Kentucky. I'd LOVE to have him back at UK, his physical play in the SEC is very valuable and I like the way he plays. 

• Like 1

Bummed but not surprised Adou went to the portal. He’s the type of player Cal needs to absolutely recruit to stay at UK. He grew 4 inches and gained 20lbs between the end of the 23 season and beginning of the 24 season. 

37 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Didn't see that one coming after Calipari came back.

I'm bummed but not surprised. Isn't Adu managed by his "handlers" or am I incorrect in my recollections? I thought this was a topic at the end of last year for Cal and UK.

24 minutes ago, Kentucky Windage said:

I'm bummed but not surprised. Isn't Adu managed by his "handlers" or am I incorrect in my recollections? I thought this was a topic at the end of last year for Cal and UK.

I think that your recollecting Ugo Onyenso, who entered the portal last year and still came back. He had handlers.

10 hours ago, mcpapa said:

Has Bronny hit the portal yet?

9 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Not officially.   But with Enfield headed to SMU, probably won't be long.

There are reports that he's in the portal, but I don't know if there's been anything "official."