Few things to point out. The bubble will decrease. After the regular season ends, a handful of teams are sent packing, and once the playoffs get going, every other week the size of the bubble will be cut in half. I envision this being a fun experience until the playoffs get going, then the summer camp feel will go away. These dudes will be away from their families for potentially weeks and mentally over it. I think the play will suffer because of it.
This is an interesting read on the bubble: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/6/22/21298581/nba-safety-disney-world-campus-guidelines
- Players have begun testing, and upon arriving to Orlando will isolate for a couple days and need two negative tests.
- Games, barbers, hair braiders, and manicurists on scene.
- No testing for recreational drugs (hmm...).
- Ability to leave with prior approval, but a big problem with it all is Disney employees will still come and go each day, so it really isn't a bubble. The other issue with prohibiting players from leaving campus is that other people—namely, Disney employees—will be allowed to come and go each day. As of now, they will not be tested daily beyond temperature checks, either, although some players have voiced concerns and NBPA president Michele Roberts said she will pursue more restrictions if she deems necessary. In May, when the NBA was first considering Disney as a site, I wrote, “Isolating a hotel or two full of guests is a hazard in itself, but that’s before accounting for hotel concierges, who have to interact with the guests; maids, who have to clean where others have slept, breathed, lounged, and bathed, and who have to launder their clothes; kitchen staff and servers; and sanitation crews, both in the hotels and the arenas.” Tack on the guy who has to split up doubles teams in ping-pong, and that’s putting a lot of people from the outside world into a supposedly protected one.
- Family/guests are not allowed until the final 8. By the time it will have been 50 days away from home.
- Masks are "required" (sure).
- Players will be given a ring which can apparently track symptoms. I assume that means monitoring temperatures.