Sam Elsbernd is the new coach at Holmes

I'm mostly familiar with Sam's work at Pendleton County the last few years, which were...well...not great.  PCHS separated from him, sadly, as we all know.  For those that know Sam well, can you share all of the reasons for optimism besides he went there and was an assistant there when they were good 15 years ago?

I hope like heck it works out, NKY Boys Hoops is better when Holmes is good!!

7 minutes ago, The Double Deuce said:

I'm mostly familiar with Sam's work at Pendleton County the last few years, which were...well...not great.  PCHS separated from him, sadly, as we all know.  For those that know Sam well, can you share all of the reasons for optimism besides he went there and was an assistant there when they were good 15 years ago?

I hope like heck it works out, NKY Boys Hoops is better when Holmes is good!!

This!?!?

It is going to absolutely take some time for Sam to restore Holmes to contender status but I have some good reasons to be optimistic:

- He “gets” the program/community about as good as anyone can, something that was sorely missed the last few years.

- He has experienced both great failure and great success throughout his career and is built to keep the program moving forward during lean times.

- For a team which as many losses as Holmes as experienced the past two years, to get a coach with head coaching experience at two places alongside the amazing coaching trees he is a part of as an assistant while still being under 40 is just an absolute home run.

• Like 1

From Coach Elsbernd on Facebook today:

I’m going to try and keep this short, but I’m not sure if I can.

Honored. Humbled. Excited. You name it, I’m feeling it! 

Holmes High School and the City of Covington is a very special place to me. 
I would like to thank the selection committee for their recommendation that I become the next Head Boys Basketball Coach at my alma mater. 

I could also thank a million other people, but I want to take this time to say thank you to my family and friends, many of whom are Holmes graduates, for putting up with me all these years as I left home to chase goals I set for myself. I’ve been all around the world, but there is nowhere else I’d rather be than Covington, Kentucky and Holmes High School. It is a special place and I am very excited to return. 

Thank you to everyone who was involved in this, especially all my former coaches and teachers at Holmes, who made me want this opportunity one day. 

I can’t wait to meet the players and begin this journey with them, the school, and the entire city. 

Lastly, happy birthday to my nephew Asher (the little red head wearing #1 in red in the picture), who turns 8 today. To think we will always have this date in common is really special to me. 

Thank you to everyone who has reached out. Now, let’s get to work! 

#HomeSweetHolmes
#OnceABulldogAlwaysABulldog

• Like 7

I am happy for Sam as are the members of the Brossart Basketball Program who had the privilege of having Coach Elsbernd on our staff during his "transitional" year.  I too, know how bad that he wanted this job and I know that he will do his best to make it work.  Best of luck moving forward to Coach Sam and the Holmes Bulldogs. 

• Like 2