Everything posted by The Double Deuce
-
Beechwood 42 Covington Catholic 35
I think Beechwood may have the 3 best players in the game, but I give CovCath a big advantage in the trenches and with their depth. Colonels by 7-10, and both teams eclipse 21 points.
-
Covington Catholic 42 Simon Kenton 7
Ironically, if you DON'T pick CovCath this week, your employer will have you drug-tested.
-
Covington Catholic 42 Simon Kenton 7
Bad timing for the Pioneers. Colonels by 21+.
-
Ryle 36 Conner 21
If I'm a Ryle fan that attended last Friday's game, my number one thing to watch for this week is can they tackle and get guys on the ground. Was as bad a tackling game as I've ever seen from a quality program. Again, I think they win easy this week, and I'm certain the Raiders will be frothing at the mouth to get out there. I'm sure it has been a long week for the Raiders already.
-
Ryle 36 Conner 21
Ryle has a get-right week vs The Cougars.
-
Beechwood 42 Indian Hill (OH) 0
Their QB, Devlan Daniel, is the best baseball player in Ohio in the senior class, and Top 60 nationally. Also a terrific football player. He is the real deal. Is a Mississippi State baseball commit, but could have been a college QB as well. He and Fryman, combined, are worth 10x the price of admission on Friday.
-
Beechwood 42 Indian Hill (OH) 0
I wouldn't sleep on Indian Hill, this may be Beechwood's only game this year where they don't have the best player on the field. I expect the Tigers to win, but should be close and in doubt into the 4th Q.
-
Elder (OH) 56 Covington Catholic 20
I don't give the Colonels a lot of a chance, but I don't think 35-14 Elder comes to fruition either. If the Colonels defensive front can't bother Estep (and hit him), I think he'll have plenty of open options down the field. I'm not sure Elder's defense is terrific, by their standards, so I think an improving Courtney can make some plays with his weapons. I'd say something like Elder 27-16.
-
Covington Catholic 50 Ryle 6
I thought he threw a great ball tonight, and he definitely has all of the tools. I'm sure once he settles in and grows in confidence he will be able to go through all of his progressions, seemed like the lefty kept his eyes on the left side of the offense, which is understandable for a first time varsity starter. Like others have said, it is so nice to see a two-dimensional offense for the Colonels, the sophomore back ran well, and Courtney has a lot of weapons to throw to. Next week will be a stern test for the Colonels, but you have to love what you saw across the board tonight.
-
Covington Holy Cross 33 Saint Henry 7
Sorry, haven't been around much and largely out of the loop, but do we know who QB1 is for the Cru?
-
What is going on in Grant County?
I'm assuming the Coach Link referenced is Derrick Link; how long has he been on staff with Coach Jones?
-
Dawson Springs names Brooklyn Clark head girls coach
She is 21? That has to make her the youngest Varsity Girls BB Coach in the state, right? Perhaps ever? I wish her and them a lot of luck, hope she and they do well!
-
Great Crossing hires Shawn West as Girls Basketball Coach
I like Shawn, and this seems like a good move for him. Wish him and the female student athletes at Great Crossing, he will be missed in NKY.
-
Open Job: Manual
While she was a LOT on the sidelines, you can't say she didn't do a great job at Manual. Her season 2 or 3 years ago when they went like 31-3 (or thereabouts), and all 3 losses were to Sacred Heart, was a really special year. They were absolutely the 2nd best team in the Commonwealth that year and couldn't get out of their own region -- bummer. I didn't love her antics, but her team played together and played hard and were absolutely no fun to play against.
-
Open Job: St. Henry
I would love to see it be Scott, and I know he captained the team back in December when the head coach took a mid-season vacation. Scott is a terrific guy and knows the game, hope he gets his shot if he wants it.
-
Open Job: Cooper
I LOVE Tuck, as a basketball mind, as a leader of young women, and as a human....but that job might be a bit of a reach at this juncture of her career. She had one year with Holy Cross JV after several years as an assistant, and Ted is a great person to learn from to be sure, but wow, that would be a big jump to running Cooper's entire program. If she gets it, I'll be the first one wearing burgundy and gold, but that seems like a big jump at this stage.
-
More trouble at Cooper - This time with Girls' Basketball
Yes, have heard the same, but haven't been able to get any corroboration. Some of the stories making their way through Union and NKY are starting to approach too crazy to believe. I do know that Mr. & Mrs. pulled some HUDL videos to challenge of the accusations that were being thrown around.
-
Saint Xavier 75 Covington Catholic 61 (KHSAA Sweet 16®)
Looking ahead to next year before their Sweet 16 game?
-
Home schooled athletes
I don't want any cake, but those families are paying their property taxes for those public schools, and if they are deciding not to use them, but their kids are able to pass needed requirements assigned them, I'd 100% support them playing.
-
Home schooled athletes
I'm not hearing anything on it, but I'd absolutely be for it assuming there was a baseline of expectations and academic requirements met. There are only 20 states that don't allow homeschoolers to play sports for their local public school (KY, Indiana, and Illinois amongst the 20), so it isn't like this is some new and uncharted phenomenon.
-
Saint Xavier 75 Covington Catholic 61 (KHSAA Sweet 16®)
He could have had the spot of the student that was ejected at halftime and free'd up a spot! ?
-
Saint Xavier 75 Covington Catholic 61 (KHSAA Sweet 16®)
That is actually a mild surprise, I thought you'd be Pro-NKY.
-
George Rogers Clark 48 Assumption 43 (2026 Clark's Pump-N-Shop Girls' Sweet 16® Championship)
GRC is just so good, they will be a worthy and well-earned Champ.
-
George Rogers Clark 48 Assumption 43 (2026 Clark's Pump-N-Shop Girls' Sweet 16® Championship)
I wasn't confused at your stat, confused that neither had connected on 11 attempts. Must be terrific perimeter defense.
-
George Rogers Clark 48 Assumption 43 (2026 Clark's Pump-N-Shop Girls' Sweet 16® Championship)
I said Assumption would cut down the nets back in November, not going to abandon that now. I will stick with the Rockets and Ashlinn James as the MVP. Will be an AWESOME game. The best two teams in the finals, completely lucky with a blind-draw for the Sweet 16, but a beautiful accident. We certainly won't be this lucky on the Boys' side since the best two teams meet in the 1st Round.