2024 Owensboro Catholic Aces

8beuvp.jpg.fcf36912fbcebba9ee20baf927905b0c.jpg2023 Outcome

Record: 14-1

With Brady Atwell as ringleader, the OCath aerial circus dazzled audiences to the tune of 48 ppg. But Mayfield's Cardinals flew a little higher when it mattered most, extending the Aces' futility in title games to 0-5.

🔗OCath's 2023 Statistical Leaders

🎓 'Tutt' Carrico (WR/DB) | Noah Rhinerson (WR) | Mitchell Sims (WR) | Elijah Blair (LB) | William Pride (OL) | Kaiser Frick (DB)

🔙 Brady Atwell (QB) | Vince Carrico (LB) | Waryn Ebelhar (WR) | Miles Edge (LB) | Chris Burns (LB) | Cameron Woodward (DB) | Barrett Evans (OL/DL) | Michael Lyon (OL/DL) | Caden Conkright (OL/DL) | Nick Sims (DB)

2024 Outlook

Still looking to shed the bridesmaid label, Owensboro Catholic will go as far as Atwell's broad shoulders will carry them. That's not to say that the supporting cast isn't there. Vince Carrico led the state in tackles and several additional starters are back for what should be one of the best defenses in 2A. Make no mistake about it, though, Atwell is the straw that stirs the drink. 

• Thanks 1

I expect them to be very good and in contention again. They bring back Brady Atwell and a lot on defense with a very talented 8th grade class who just won State. Expect Atwell and Vince Carrico to be a load on both sides of the ball and Rising Juniors Miles Edge and Cam James to play bigger roles on the offensive side. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, zoneblitz2 said:

I expect them to be very good and in contention again. They bring back Brady Atwell and a lot on defense with a very talented 8th grade class who just won State. Expect Atwell and Vince Carrico to be a load on both sides of the ball and Rising Juniors Miles Edge and Cam James to play bigger roles on the offensive side. 

Do you think some freshmen will be starting?

Is it a done deal that Atwell will be an Ace this fall??  I hope so, he is something special to watch. 

Rumor mill had him going elsewhere to improve his chances to get better recruited.

• Like 1

Losing Tutt Carrico, Rhinerson, Sims, Frick, and Blair is a LOT of OFFENSE. Even if Atwell left Catholic has a capable backup in Carrothers. Catholic has run this style of OFFENSE for nearly 20 years.

Rumor is they have a couple  kids in town that have enrolled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@TimeWillTell rumors are true. A couple of players from Owensboro have transferred to Aces unfortunately. Crowe, Winstead and Maddox are the ones I know of forsure but I hear there will be more to follow. I don’t know what’s going on at the OHS but it’s not looking good as far as player retention goes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/8/2024 at 5:10 PM, Devils Fan said:

@TimeWillTell rumors are true. A couple of players from Owensboro have transferred to Aces unfortunately. Crowe, Winstead and Maddox are the ones I know of forsure but I hear there will be more to follow. I don’t know what’s going on at the OHS but it’s not looking good as far as player retention goes.

Looks like according to Twitter, that Winstead went to FL. 

On 1/8/2024 at 4:10 PM, Devils Fan said:

This is crazy to me... OHS was is slatted to be a sure fire top 5 team in 5A next year. Why on earth would kids leave?!?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, VF111 said:

This is crazy to me... OHS was is slatted to be a sure fire top 5 team in 5A next year. Why on earth would kids leave?!?

I really don't know.  But from an outsider looking in for just the Winstead kid, he was the main ball carrier at the beginning of the year, but by mid-season he was replaced by the Hampton kid and Winstead got a lot less carries.  Not giving him a pass to transfer but an idea on why he might have.

Saw on Twitter that Crowe did make the move and will be catching from Atwell this coming season. 

Aces also added a good size Center from Hancock Co. 

It's looking like OCath is making moves to finish the job next year. 

9 hours ago, VF111 said:

I believe it's the offensive philosophy. This has been one the biggest complaints from fans, and parents, for years. Tons of Red Devil fans believe OHS should resemble Bowling Green,Mayfield, Owensboro Catholic,etc. on offense. Run right on first down. Run second on 2nd down. Then play action pass on 3rd down, under heavy blitz pressure, has grown old on Frederica Street. I personally think OHS has had several kids underutilized on offense in the last 5-10 years....

On 1/11/2024 at 2:18 PM, Purple88 said:

I really don't know.  But from an outsider looking in for just the Winstead kid, he was the main ball carrier at the beginning of the year, but by mid-season he was replaced by the Hampton kid and Winstead got a lot less carries.  Not giving him a pass to transfer but an idea on why he might have.

Honestly IMO Winstead isn’t that big of a loss with Hampton in the backfield and  he doesn’t even like defense but Crowe is a huge loss. I don’t think that’s a replaceable piece. That’s takes O out of any type of contention for next years  title. They should still be a decent team regardless with over 12 starters returning.

19 hours ago, Devils Fan said:

Honestly IMO Winstead isn’t that big of a loss with Hampton in the backfield and  he doesn’t even like defense but Crowe is a huge loss. I don’t think that’s a replaceable piece. That’s takes O out of any type of contention for next years  title. They should still be a decent team regardless with over 12 starters returning.

Interesting.  As I was going to say Winstead could just be a key cog in the defense as he did towards the end of last season, but perhaps not.

I agree with you on Crowe.  He's a tremendous player.  I recall in the BG game he blocked a field goal and ran it back.  Very impressive.  He also had great coverage on BG TE Klein, who was a very solid player for BG last year. The Aces certainly came up Aces with this.

Who is the Maddox guy you spoke of?

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.