Pat Kelsey named Louisville's next basketball coach

CBS's Jon Rothstein is reporting today that Kelsey and Louisville will come to terms "barring something unforeseen" -- a day after there were reports that New Mexico's Richard Pitino was a top Louisville target. 

Kelsey has spent the last three seasons at Charleston, compiling a 74-27 record and guiding the Cougars to consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances the past two seasons.

Kelsey, 48, started his college coaching career as an assistant at Wake Forest in 2004 and spent five seasons with the program before becoming the associate head coach at Xavier — his alma mater. Kelsey coached nine seasons at Winthrop and compiled a 186-95 record at the school before taking the job at Charleston.

Louisville was in discussions Wednesday with Kelsey and Indiana State coach Josh Schertz, the two serious candidates for Louisville's opening. However, Schertz, whose Sycamores team is still playing in the NIT, decided he wasn't interested. which opened the door for Kelsey to take the job if he wants it after Louisville and Kelsey negotiate terms.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Didn't seem like @TheDeuce was thrilled with this development, but I think I'd rather have him than Lil Pitino.

I've cooled off. 

To be honest, my frustration is much more centered around the chaos of the search, rather than it being Kelsey. That's not his fault. 

Initially, I love his personality and the fire it seems he has. Seems like he has a tenacious work ethic, which is required. I do think he could win over the fan base eventually with that. 

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I've cooled off. 

To be honest, my frustration is much more centered around the chaos of the search, rather than it being Kelsey. That's not his fault. 

Initially, I love his personality and the fire it seems he has. Seems like he has a tenacious work ethic, which is required. I do think he could win over the fan base eventually with that. 

Gotcha, that makes a lot of sense. I was a little confused at first because I thought Kelsey might be exactly what the program needs right now, even though the search took the roundabout way of getting there.

Just now, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Gotcha, that makes a lot of sense. I was a little confused at first because I thought Kelsey might be exactly what the program needs right now.

He has an edge, and that is also a requirement at Louisville. If he's successful, that will go a LONG way with the fans. 

• Like 1

I wonder if any of his players from Charleston will transfer to Louisville. The had a nice guard I liked from Cincinnati Kobe Rodgers. I think he played his high school ball at St. Xavier of Cincinnati. They also had an athletic forward 6'9 James Scott he is just a freshman and 11 vs. Alabama in the tournament.

3 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

I've cooled off. 

Watched his Winthrop and Charleston teams down here in SC. The fans need to get behind him. He can coach! Works hard, seems to hold his players accountable, and has always been part of successful programs. On a side note both of the Cards basketball coaches are from Greater Cincinnati...... again lol.

• Like 2

I hope Kelsey does really well.   I'm not expecting a 20 win season and a tourney birth next season but his teams have to get better.    My big problem with KP was the same mistakes they were making when they lost his first exhibition game to a D2 school are the same mistakes they were making when they lost to NCState 2 weeks ago.   That can't happen anymore.

4 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

I've cooled off. 

This has not been a good look for the University.  I think Heird is on borrowed time, Even if Kelsey turns out to be the next John Wooden.    LOL

I like the hire in ways and others not as sure. I believe that his energy is definitely a strong point and something very needed with how far the program has fallen. He’s definitely got an impressive resume from his time in Charleston, but that’s also the question with the three years there as head coach and other experience. I will say I’m happier about getting Pat Kelsey over Richard Pitino. Only time will tell with what comes.

4 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

I've cooled off. 

I agree with you about the chaos, that’s been the most stressful part of it to me too.

• Like 1

At least he has Head coaching experience and has had success at his previous stops. That’s a huge step in the right direction. I hope he can turn them around sooner than never/later and get the rivalry back to being nationally “must watch tv”. 

• Like 1