2-3 stalks celery, chopped
2 green onions, whites & greens both chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt & pepper, to taste

1) Cube potatoes, and boil until fork-soft, drain, and allow to cool.
2) Fry the bacon - crispier is better. Allow to cool and cut into bacon bits.
3) In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, garlic, and
sugar.
4) In a larger mixing bowl, combine potatoes, bacon bits, celery, and green onion, before pouring the mayo/buttermilk/vinegar/garlic/sugar mixture over it all and mixing to combine.
5) Add salt and pepper, to taste.

Gonna throw down on some meatballs this weekend, thought I would share my recipe.

First the gravy.

1/4 cup Olive Oil

2 Pounds Pork Neck Bones or Country Style Ribs

2 Pounds Italian Sausage

1/2 Pound Ground Beef

1/2 Pound Ground Pork

1 Large Yellow Onion, Chopped

1 Tablespoon Garlic, Minced

2 Large Carrots, Peeled and Grated

1 1/2 Cup Good Red Wine - something you would drink

3 (28 Ounce) Cans Peeled Whole San Marzano Tomatoes Including Juice

6 (6 Ounce) Cans Tomato Paste Preferably Imported From Italy

8 Cups Water

2 Bay Leaves

1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano

1 Cup Fresh Basil, Julienned

2 Tablespoon Fresh Rosemary, Chopped

1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt

1 Teaspoon Black Pepper

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 large, rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil. Brush the foil with olive oil.

2. Arrange (in a single layer) pork neck bones or country-style ribs on one baking sheet and the Italian sausages on the second baking sheet. Brush the tops of all the meats lightly with olive oil.

3. Cook meats in the preheated oven, until deep golden brown on all sides, turning as needed to cook evenly. Allow approximately 1 hour for the pork necks and ribs and 40 minutes for the sausage. Set cooked meats aside.

4. Meanwhile, in a very large, heavy-bottomed stock pot, brown ground beef and pork, over medium heat, crumbling into small pieces. Remove ground meats to plate and set aside.

5. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the pan. Add onions, minced garlic, and carrots and cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes until they soften and begin to caramelize.

6. Add the wine to the pot and cook, scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Continue to cook until the wine is reduced by half.

7. Add whole tomatoes with their juices, tomato paste, water, bay leaves, oregano, fresh basil, rosemary, salt, and pepper.

8. Add the browned grounded meats, pork necks or country style ribs, and sausages back to the pot. Bring the gravy to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer.

9. Simmer, uncovered for about 3 1/2--4 1/2 hours. You should see tiny bit of bubbling on the surface of the gravy. It is important to maintain a gentle simmer throughout out cooking time.

10. Stir occasionally so the meats don't stick. If the gravy becomes too thick as it simmers, add water. (If it's simmering gently, you shouldn't need to add any extra water.)

11. While the gravy simmers, make the meatballs. After the gravy has cooked for 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours and is nice and thick, give it a very good stir, digging down to the bottom of the pot, then add the meatballs. Continue to simmer the gravy without stirring for another 30-40 minutes, or until the meatballs are hot and the flavors marry. Remove bay leaves, or leave them in and have a prize for whoever gets one. The bay leaf is considered lucky.

Now the meatballs

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

1 1/2 Cups Onions, Finely Chopped

6 Cloves Garlic, Minced

1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning

1 Pinch Red Pepper Flakes

4 Slices White Sandwich Bread, Torn into Small Pieces

3/4 Cup Whole Milk

2 1/2 Pounds Ground Beef, 80/20

1/2 Pound Sweet Italian Sausage, Casing Removed

1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated

2 Large Eggs, Lightly Beaten

1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt

1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper

1. You want your rack in the upper portion. Preheat oven to 475 degrees.

2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet, over medium-high heat. Cook onions until golden and very soft, 10-15 minutes.

3. Add garlic, Italian seasoning, and pepper flakes and cook just enough to release the fragrants, about 1 minute. Set aside and cool.

4. In a large mixing bowl, add milk and bread and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Mash.

5. Add cooled onion mixture, ground beef, sausage, Parmesan, eggs, salt and pepper and knead until ingredients are well combined.

6. Form mixture into 2 to 2 1/2 inch meatballs (you'll end up with 16-20 meatballs depending on size), place on rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes, or until well browned. Remove and let rest for 30 minutes or so.

7. Gently turn them into the gravy.

8. Serve as is with some good bread or over your favorite pasta.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a good size gang at the house over the 4th weekend so I rolled on @hoops5’s Crock Pot Sausage Breakfast Casserole

Twice actually. The first time per the recipe, and the second time I substituted 3/4 cup of medium Pace Picante for the sundried tomatoes and onions.

Both turned out excellent. Super easy way to feed a bunch of folks first thing in the morning.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone cooking at home a little more than usual in the last week or so? I made coldweatherfan's Chicago sweet pizza sauce and his Chicago deep dish pizza over the weekend...the second time I've made it, and it was fantastic both times. I had it on the top rack in the oven this time around instead of situating a rack in the middle of the oven, so the top was a little more toasty than I would have preferred, but it was still great!

Untitled5.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Oriental Coleslaw Salad

Ingredients: 1 lb package of Coleslaw...2 bunches of chopped green onions...1 cup of sunflower seeds...1 cup of slivered almonds...2 packages of beef-flavor ramen noodles...1 cup of oil...1/2 cup of sugar...2/3 cup of vinegar

* Mix in large bowl coleslaw, green onion, sunflower seeds, almonds, and broken up ramen noodles.

* In a small bowl mix oil, sugar, vinegar and the beef flavoring from ramen noodles.

* Mix the oil mixture with the coleslaw mixture. I recommend refrigerating it for 2-4 hours, but you can start eating it right away if you choose.

This is a delicious side item, particularly in the summertime, but I can eat it just by itself. Really good stuff.