Homemade Salsa...who does it? Recipe recommendations.

Jumper_Dad

Large Can Tomatoes (or I use freshly canned from garden if available)

2 cans Rotel (tomatoes and chillies)

onion

fresh jalapeno

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp sugar

garlic clove

1/4 tsp cumin

3/4 cup fresh cilantro

fresh lime

I throw the canned tomatoes, juice and all, into my Ninja. Dump the two cans of Rotel in. Dice up about half a large onion and throw in. I chop up one clove of garlic and add it to the Ninja. I then take about 4 large jalapenos, slit in half lengthwise, and then cutting them into pieces. I leave the seeds and all in the jalapenos because I like it a little spicy. Throw them in the Ninja. I then add 1/4 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cumin to the ninja. I then squeeze about 1/2 a large lime juice into container. Add about 3/4 cup cilantro or you could go lighter if you are not a big fan. I then blend it up in the Ninja until the consistency I want.

I refrigerate it overnight to let everything blend before I eat it.

Large Can Tomatoes (or I use freshly canned from garden if available)

2 cans Rotel (tomatoes and chillies)

onion

fresh jalapeno

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp sugar

garlic clove

1/4 tsp cumin

3/4 cup fresh cilantro

fresh lime

I throw the canned tomatoes, juice and all, into my Ninja. Dump the two cans of Rotel in. Dice up about half a large onion and throw in. I chop up one clove of garlic and add it to the Ninja. I then take about 4 large jalapenos, slit in half lengthwise, and then cutting them into pieces. I leave the seeds and all in the jalapenos because I like it a little spicy. Throw them in the Ninja. I then add 1/4 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cumin to the ninja. I then squeeze about 1/2 a large lime juice into container. Add about 3/4 cup cilantro or you could go lighter if you are not a big fan. I then blend it up in the Ninja until the consistency I want.

I refrigerate it overnight to let everything blend before I eat it.

I have this same one. Sometimes I replace the jalepeno with a habanero to spice things up.

I have a Salsa recipe book (170 recipes) from a food/wine club that I was in.

It's in PDF format. If anyone wants to PM me with your email, I'll shoot it out to you.

Most of them are excellent, and you learn a lot about combinations of different things.

This is my go to salsa.

20 Roma tomatoes

10 cloves of roasted garlic - cut the tops off of 2 bulbs and toss them in a pot with a little olive oil. Roast them till a little soft (10 minutes or so) and let them cool. You should be able to squeeze the garlic right out of the bulb.

1 large onion

1 green pepper

6 chiles de Habanero (you can cut this back)

1/4 cup honey

2 teaspoons cilantro

2 tablespoons fresh basil

1tablespoon kosher salt

2 teaspoons white pepper

-Cut 10 romas in half across widthwise and squeeze out the seeds and stuff, discard the juice.

-Chop the tomatoes into chunks.

-Take the rest of the ingredients and put into a blender or food processor and rough chop.

-Combine the 2 stages, mix well and refrigerate overnight. It is not necessary to let it set overnight but it tastes so much better the following day. I liked the honey in this recipe, it gives it a sweet and spicy flavor ( I suppose spicy is quite an understatement).

I have a Salsa recipe book (170 recipes) from a food/wine club that I was in.

It's in PDF format. If anyone wants to PM me with your email, I'll shoot it out to you.

Most of them are excellent, and you learn a lot about combinations of different things.

There are so many it will be hard to pick one to try first. Thanks for the PDF!

My uncle makes an outstanding chunky salsa with the tomatoes and wild variety of peppers they grow in my dad's garden. Does it in a variety of heats. Breaks my heart to see it mixed for queso dip. It's too good on its own.

I do not know the recipe.

• 4 months later...

Ran across two salsa recipes recently that I really enjoyed.

The first is a grilled pineapple salsa.

2 teaspoons olive oil

1 small ripe pineapple trimmed and sliced into 1/2 inch thick rings

1 large red bell pepper seeded and quartered

1/2 small red onion diced

2 jalapeños diced

1/3 cup chopped cilantro

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice

Salt and pepper to taste

- Heat a cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium heat.

- Add 1 teaspoon of oil to the pan, and grill the pineapple slices, about 3 minutes on each side, or until caramelized and golden brown.

- Once cool enough to handle, remove the core and dice the pineapple slices.

- In the same pan, add 1 teaspoon of oil and grill the pepper for 3 minutes on each side, until lightly charred.

- In a medium bowl, combine the pineapple, red pepper, cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, and lime juice. Stir until well combined.

- Add salt and pepper, to taste.

- If you would like it milder, remove the seeds before dicing your jalapeno.

- Serve at room temperature or chilled.

Salsa can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.