Open Job: Corbin

Per Tom Greer:

Although I have held a variety of athletic coaching positions and have loved them all, being given the honor of coaching, the Redhound football team holds a special place in my heart. Coming back to Corbin to coach was like coming home to where I learned to be a Redhound and what it means. But after 33 years of coaching and 34 years in education, I have prayed and reached a peacefulness about stepping down as the head coach and retiring. None of this would’ve been worthwhile without the Corbin community being who they are, the best fans who love students and all that the Redhound symbol stands for. Corbin school district who has gone above and beyond to support me and the Football program— they believe in all students and I’m proud to work there. The coaching staff, football program, and players are a part of my family and a part of who I am. All three groups are completely committed and passionate about this program, and I know will continue to be. I truly don’t know what the next chapter holds for me, I’m sure God will reveal that in his time. I know this, Susan and I will continue to support and love the Redhounds and the Corbin community.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, theguru said:

I assume there will be a lot of interest in this job. 

Who should be on Corbin's short list?

They can cast a pretty wide net. Good system, lots of students, good support, great history. I expect there to be quite a bit of interest.

• Like 3

I've gotta think Greer had already previously tipped the administration off at Corbin to the fact that he was considering retirement. At least a little bit of a tipoff. Right?

In my brain, I can't imagine that he hasn't made enough trips around the sun to be able to realize how over a barrel he's leaving the football program if he's actually pulling a "Oh by the way, I'm retiring. Peace out." almost a week into May. Especially if he's doing that without any kind of succession plan already in place. Right?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

I've gotta think Greer had already previously tipped the administration off at Corbin to the fact that he was considering retirement. At least a little bit of a tipoff. Right?

In my brain, I can't imagine that he hasn't made enough trips around the sun to be able to realize how over a barrel he's leaving the football program if he's actually pulling a "Oh by the way, I'm retiring. Peace out." almost a week into May. Especially if he's doing that without any kind of succession plan already in place. Right?

I agree and my guess would be Corbin has a pretty good idea on who they are hiring to replace Coach Greer. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, theguru said:

I agree and my guess would be Corbin has a pretty good idea on who they are hiring to replace Coach Greer. 

I don't know this...but that is certainly what it looks like. I sure hope so. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, theguru said:

Or maybe he is retiring from teaching and could be hired back after the required time off for a different position…and coach.

Just now, 55RedDog said:

Or maybe he is retiring from teaching and could be hired back after the required time off for a different position…and coach.

Nothing would surprise me.  Whatever is going on, I feel like Corbin already knows who will be the next head football coach. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LethalPG said:

Bart Elam is the OC, correct?  His son is an awful good QB for them.

I'd have to assume that Elam would be one of the definite top candidates. He is the OC at Corbin, yes. Spent over a decade as head coach at Pineville. Also has a few years of college coaching mixed in there from Cumberlands and Union College, I believe.

Jim Black is the Associate Head Coach too. Also coached at Cumberlands. He was head coach at Williamsburg and Whitley County, and was DC for North Laurel before he ended up at Corbin.

Also heard Corbin assistant coach Jody Mouser's name mentioned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I'd have to assume that Elam would be one of the definite top candidates. He is the OC at Corbin, yes. Spent over a decade as head coach at Pineville. Also has a few years of college coaching mixed in there from Cumberlands and Union College, I believe.

Jim Black is the Associate Head Coach too. Also coached at Cumberlands. He was head coach at Williamsburg and Whitley County, and was DC for North Laurel before he ended up at Corbin.

Also heard Corbin assistant coach Jody Mouser's name mentioned.

I think all of what you have mentioned is no doubt been tossed around. Its definitely early in the process and I would expect Corbin to put forth a huge effort this time around. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1