Bourbon Balls: Yes or No (list favorite recipes)

Jumper_Dad

Bourbon Balls  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Bourbon Balls

First one I ever ate was at the bus stop when I was in middle school. Kid brought them to everyone and I thought they were peanutbutter balls. These had cherries in the middle and the cherry had been infused with bourbon using a syringe. Wow...let's just say 7th grade me wasn't ready for that!

This is the recipe I learned a long time ago. I think it's pretty standard. I like it.

1 cup pecans

8 ounces vanilla wafers, enough to make 2 cups crumbs

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa, divided

1 cup confectioners' sugar, divided

1/4 cup light corn syrup

1/4 cup bourbon

Heat oven to 325° F.

Spread pecans on a baking sheet. Toast for 3 minutes; toss the nuts and bake for 3 minutes more.

In a food processor, process the vanilla wafers until they form crumbs. Add the pecans; pulse just until they are finely chopped. Add 1/4 cup of the cocoa, and 1/2 cup of the confectioners' sugar. Add the corn syrup and bourbon. Pulse to mix thoroughly.

Sift the remaining 1/4 cup cocoa and 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar onto a large plate.

Form the crumb mixture into 3/4-inch balls and roll them through the cocoa-sugar to coat.

Store in a sealed container for up to 5 days.

This is the recipe I learned a long time ago. I think it's pretty standard. I like it.

1 cup pecans

8 ounces vanilla wafers, enough to make 2 cups crumbs

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa, divided

1 cup confectioners' sugar, divided

1/4 cup light corn syrup

1/4 cup bourbon

Heat oven to 325° F.

Spread pecans on a baking sheet. Toast for 3 minutes; toss the nuts and bake for 3 minutes more.

In a food processor, process the vanilla wafers until they form crumbs. Add the pecans; pulse just until they are finely chopped. Add 1/4 cup of the cocoa, and 1/2 cup of the confectioners' sugar. Add the corn syrup and bourbon. Pulse to mix thoroughly.

Sift the remaining 1/4 cup cocoa and 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar onto a large plate.

Form the crumb mixture into 3/4-inch balls and roll them through the cocoa-sugar to coat.

Store in a sealed container for up to 5 days.

I've never had them with a coating like that, all of the ones that I've had were dipped in melted chocolate of some sort.

I've never had them with a coating like that, all of the ones that I've had were dipped in melted chocolate of some sort.

This is old school and is so much easier. You can make a batch in less than 30 minutes. No muss - no fuss, and they are yummy.

A friend of mine makes them with Southern Comfort instead of regular bourbon.

First one I ever ate was at the bus stop when I was in middle school. Kid brought them to everyone and I thought they were peanutbutter balls. These had cherries in the middle and the cherry had been infused with bourbon using a syringe. Wow...let's just say 7th grade me wasn't ready for that!

I assume the kid was suspended. Policies were put into place to make sure it didn't happen again. You were scarred. Discussions were had about how to make bus stops safer. Etc, etc, etc, etc.

:lol2: