Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Any strange or weird Top Ramen recipes?

Featured Replies

I just wanted to see who had any strange or weird ramen recipes that they'd care to share. I'm on a tight budget with bills now that my ex-girlfriend moved back to Ohio so I'm obviously the only person in my house that is bringing a check in because I'm the only one living here now. With that having been said, some nights will have to be ramen nights until bills are straightened out and I'm okay with that. It's something that has to be done so it is what it is.

 

A buddy of mine who was is an Army veteran said that his favorite way to eat ramen that he discovered while in the Army and what he does still to this day is that he will take two packages of ramen and boil the noodles while tossing the seasoning packet back in the cupboard (his wife will use those packets and chicken bouillon to make homemade chicken noodle soup). Once the ramen is done, he drains all the water, dumps the ramen in a bowl, and then pours a can of hot dog chili on top and seasons to taste with salt and pepper.

 

I have found this to be quite an interesting way to eat ramen but I can see it getting old after a while. I have seen videos of people adding a slice or two of cheese to their ramen as well as a soft-boiled egg.

 

I'm interested in how others spruce up their ramen so it won't get so boring and unappetizing after a while.

I've always enjoyed putting Cheeze-It's in them or crunching up Grippo's.

 

Nothing wrong with balling on a budget.

To change up the Ramen, buy your self a big bag of rice that will last you a while and then just make different concoctions with it. I've always liked them and it's pretty cheap and will cook you several meals.

 

Rice, Salsa, Corn

Rice and any combo of Carrots, Peas, Broccoli, Corn

Rice, Baked Beans and hot dogs

 

I often make the second one and add some kind of meat. Maybe ground up deer that was given to me. Hot dogs. Chicken that you can get on Manager Special and grill up.

 

The second might seem like a lot of money but I can usually get 4-5 good solid meals out of it so it makes each meal pretty cheap if you break it down that way.

I never had of meal made with this stuff. The little TACsters like it and I've seen them add egg to it.

I'll make them with cayenne pepper, onion salt, and garlic to change them up.

 

I'll grill up either a hot mett or kilbasa and dice it up over them as well.

I don't have any recipes for Ramen, but my go to "gotta stretch my budget" staples are pastas. Invest in some olive oil and some spices, some fresh or frozen veggies and maybe a decent balsamic vinegar and you can whip up a dish that can result in leftovers. You can also invest in a crock pot and make soups that will last for days. I like to make a soup or stew and freeze individual portions so I can switch up meals, versus eating the same thing for 5 or 6 days. Also, buying store brand canned veggies and beans can help have things on hand to round out a meal. So, for instance, I used to go to a grocery and after 6 they'd have their rotisserie chickens that they hadn't sold that day, on sale for 1/2 off. I'd buy one, and use part for that night's dinner, and have leftovers for other days, or freeze the rest. After I'd taken all the chicken off the bones, I'd boil the bones with some onions and garlic and make broth I could freeze and use later in future soups. I also second MJ's rice suggestion. And I'll also add potatoes. A bag of good sized potatoes will last a while, and baked potatoes with some toppings make good meals too.

 

I totally get having a bare bones budget for groceries. But I think you'll find you can be really creative and eat healthier for just a little bit more.

And I'll also add potatoes. A bag of good sized potatoes will last a while, and baked potatoes with some toppings make good meals too.

 

Absolutely.

Absolutely.

 

I consider pasta, rice and potatoes blank canvases. :lol2:

I put peanut butter in mine from time to time, along with some soy sauce.

Pasta makes the world go round. Rice is a close second.

 

Keep several different bags of mixed veggies in freezer. Throw some in your ramens makes for a nice variation.

 

Kielbsasa. You'll get at least 2 meals out of a $2.99 kielbasa and a couple of packs of ramens and some veggies.

 

Take a ramen block, marinate it for about 20-30 minutes in things like soy sauce, terriaki, rice wine vinegar, italian dressing, sesame oil, etc. Then grill it for 3 minutes a side and serve with some veggies.

 

Cook your noodles. Drain the liquid. Toss in a bowl with the seasoning packet and a few mixed veggies. Whip up 2 eggs and start scrambling. When about half way scrambled, toss the contents from the bowl into the eggs and finish. Add a little soy sauce to taste.

Aside from Ramens.

 

Mac & cheese with a grilled peanut butter sandwich is a fine meal.

Another really cheap idea are Banquet pot pies. At only a buck or so, I LOVE them. And weirdly, I do NOT like any of the higher end pot pies, like Marie Calendar. If I'm going to eat a pot pie, it has to be Banquet, and it has to be the chicken one. :lol2:

 

Another thing I like to buy that isn't as cheap as pot pies or Ramen noodles, are the Bertolli meals for 2 in the frozen section. I usually fix one of those for dinner and take the leftovers for lunch. They're (I think) 7 bucks, so pretty cheap. And you can also get those shelf stable meals like Hormel and Bertolli. Hormel is meat and potatoes, and Bertolli, of course, is pasta. But I get them when they're on sale to throw in my desk drawer at work for those days when I don't have leftovers to bring.

I consider pasta, rice and potatoes blank canvases. :lol2:

 

The tabulae rasae of foods.

Interesting turn of events here at the papa homestead. The wife still hasn't figured out how to cook for two. We have actually been buying larger cuts of meats (beef and pork, primarily) and getting multiple meals out of them. Also getting half-price rotisserie chicken at Wal-Mart for $2.49 and getting at least 4 meals from them.

 

Regarding the OP, oriental salad with Ramen noodles, bagged coleslaw mix, toasted slivered almonds, oil and vinegar is a fairly common concoction.

My normal doctoring of Ramen noodles finds me adding minced onions and creole seasoning to it and cooking it up as soup. Will sometimes add leftover chicken or beef to it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.