Chili Recipes 2.0

hoops5

I make a killer Texas style and a white chicken, both in the crock pot.

Basics for the Texas red.

1lb ground beef

1lb stew beef but in to 1/4-1/2 inch chunks

36 ounces Italian red sauce

1 14oz can hot chili beans

1 14 oz diced chili tomatoes

12 oz beer

Add cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, cyanne and smoked paprika to taste

aAbout 2 hours in add teaspoon of cinnamon and a tablespoon of chocolate

I prefer it thick, but Mrs GT likes it a little more thin so while I would typically add a small can of tomato paste it tends to get left out these days.

Brown the ground beef and then sear stew beef just enough to get a little crust on the outside. Add both to the crock pot with sauce, beans, beer and tomato. Add 1st round of spice mixture and cover.

Cook in the crock pot on high for the first 90 minutes and switch to low for another 3 hours. I usually taste every hour or so and add the spice mixture as is needed...

I have issues with the concept of "turkey" chili. There's just no way it could ever be good. Chili needs grease to be good.

2 lbs of ground beef, fried and drained

6 qts of mommas tomato juice

1 green pepper chopped

1 onion chopped

4 cans chili beans

1 red pepper chopped

1 onion chopped

couple dried chili peppers, crumbled

Simmer for hours

I never use a recipe to make chili - I make sure that I have a good supply of clean spoons and rely on frequent sampling and adjustments. Typically, I do the following:

1. Saute onions in some oil (usually peanut) in a cast iron skillet or dutch oven until they begin to caramelize and add some crushed garlic to the mix late to avoid burning the garlic.

2. Add fresh, never frozen lean ground beef to the skillet. Stir frequently until it begins to brown.

3. Add water and/or tomato sauce to the skillet (my wife loves tomatoes in chili - I tolerate some tomatoes, but good chili does not really need any tomatoes).

4. Add a mix of chopped chili peppers to the skillet - jalapenos, serannos, and poblanos are my personal favorites, but the important thing is not to get the chili too hot too quickly. It is easy to dial up the heat as the chili cooks but it is difficult to tone it down later if you get it too hot.

5. Add cumin, cayenne, turmeric, Hungarian or smoked Spanish paprika, salt, black pepper, and fresh chopped cilantro to the mix.

6. Stir frequently over low heat for several hours, sampling and adjusting the "heat" upward as necessary using a good quality hot sauce such as Melinda's XXXXtra Hot or Cholula.

7. Simmer the chili until the thickness and aroma tells you that it is ready to eat.

Note: IMO, real chili does not need any beans, but beef is expensive, so I often add some red kidney beans and/or pinto beans to my chili. Refried beans are also useful to thicken chili if you get it too watery and become impatient with the process and want to stop cooking and start eating.

I don't measure anything either when making chili but it goes something like this

1lb Ground Beef

1lb Diced stew beef (or any other cubed type of steak you have....I've even used filet mignon in the past)

1/2 lb of Chorizo Sausage (or more if you like)

1 1/2 large onion chopped

1 large pepper chopped

1 can of kidney beans

1/2 cup of sugar

2-3 tbs of minced garlic

1 cup of Bourbon (I also sometimes use 1 bottle of a really good, stout (or other dark style) of beer.

1 14 oz can's of diced tomatoes

16 oz of tomato sauce

Chili powder to taste

1/4 cup of masa flour

Habanero (or other hot peppers) to taste if you like it spicy.

Saute the onions and peppers in oil until lightly caramelized then add to browned and drained sausage, beef and cubed beef. Add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes to brown the garlic lightly. Add tomatoes, sauce, drained kidney beans, bourbon and sugar and chili powder. This is where I do a lot of tasting to make sure I've got it right, and will spend the next few minutes adding small amounts of the spices/sugar/garlic to make sure it tastes how I like. At this point I also usually divide a small portion for myself and add homegrown habanero/jalapeno peppers because I like it spicy. Simmer for an hour. Then add the 1/4 of masa flour to 1/2 cup of water and mix thoroughly, then add the mixture to the chili. Stir well. The masa flour thickens the chili a bit. Simmer for another 1-2 hours.

This is a recipe I found on the internet. I have made my own changes to fit our likes and dislikes, but it is a great recipe. Cooking all day in the crockpot, blends the favors wonderfully. I go a bit heavy on the jalapeño as we like it hot.

Instead of just hamburger, I usually use a mixture of hamburger, stew meat, hot Italian sausage, and mild Italian sausage.

Chili (Kelly's chili)

Servings: 8

Prep time: 23:39

Total time: 0:39

Categories:

Source: Kellys Chili Recipe - Food.com

Ingredients

• 3 lbs hamburger

• 1 green pepper, diced

• 1 red pepper, diced

• 1 medium onion, diced

• 3 -4 fresh jalapenos, chopped small

• salt and pepper

• garlic powder

• dump into large pot crockpot and add

• 1/3 cup good chili powder

• 1 3/4 cups ketchup (I like Hunt's)

• 3 tablespoons lime juice, can sub lemon jc. (I just use the concentrates)

• 4 -6 tablespoons brown sugar

• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

• 2 teaspoons vinegar

• 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard

• 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin

• 3 cups spicy hot V8

• 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained

• 2 (8 ounce) packages fresh sliced mushrooms, can sub jarred

• 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can del monte original stewed tomatoes, with the juice and break up tomatoes

• 1 cup beef bouillon (optional)

• extra salt and pepper

• more garlic powder

Directions

Stir and bring just to a low simmer, reduce heat and cook for at least 1-2 hours in a crockpot Thick, rich and slightly sweet/slightly hot, very unique!

from The Recipe Box by Corpus Collusion

I make a killer Texas style and a white chicken, both in the crock pot.

Basics for the Texas red.

1lb ground beef

1lb stew beef but in to 1/4-1/2 inch chunks

36 ounces Italian red sauce

1 14oz can hot chili beans

1 14 oz diced chili tomatoes

12 oz beer

Add cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, cyanne and smoked paprika to taste

aAbout 2 hours in add teaspoon of cinnamon and a tablespoon of chocolate

I prefer it thick, but Mrs GT likes it a little more thin so while I would typically add a small can of tomato paste it tends to get left out these days.

Brown the ground beef and then sear stew beef just enough to get a little crust on the outside. Add both to the crock pot with sauce, beans, beer and tomato. Add 1st round of spice mixture and cover.

Cook in the crock pot on high for the first 90 minutes and switch to low for another 3 hours. I usually taste every hour or so and add the spice mixture as is needed...

How about the white chili?

At the risk of infecting this chili thread with sacrilege and disturbing the purists, and no doubt I'd prefer homemade chili from scratch, sometimes I'll lazily reach for a store bought can to give me my chili fix.

That of course is a dicey endeavor as many store bought canned chilis can pretty much be the equivalent of eating Alpo.

I like a Texas style beefy with beans chili, and although I don't think it's as good, I may reach sometimes for the Turkey version to avoid all the fat.

To avoid spoiling the suspension created from this video, I won't say which brand here wins, but I've since seeing it have tried it, and it's proved to be fairly acceptable.

Not in this video is the Kroger canned version which I've found to also be acceptable, and a bit more economical than the winning brand in the video.

There's no doubt that I've never had a can of chili that comes anywhere near beating homemade, but I sure wish that I could for a quick and easy fix.

If anyone has tried anything that they've found isn't bad, I'd sure like to hear about it.

In this video this guy does an interesting comparison of canned chili.

At the risk of infecting this chili thread with sacrilege and disturbing the purists, and no doubt I'd prefer homemade chili from scratch, sometimes I'll lazily reach for a store bought can to give me my chili fix.

That of course is a dicey endeavor as many store bought canned chilis can pretty much be the equivalent of eating Alpo. I like a Texas style beefy with beans chili, and although I don't think it's as good, I may reach sometimes for the Turkey version to avoid all the fat.

To avoid spoiling the suspension created from this video, I won't say which brand here wins, but I've since seeing it have tried it, and it's proved to be fairly acceptable.

Not in this video is the Kroger canned version which I've found to also be acceptable, and a bit more economical than the winning brand in the video.

There's no doubt that I've never had a can of chili that comes anywhere near beating homemade, but I sure wish that I could for a quick and easy fix.

If anyone has tried anything that they've found isn't bad, I'd sure like to hear about it.

In this video this guy does an interesting comparison of canned chili.

I usually make double batches in a 16 qt cooker a couple times a year on a Sunday morning. I usually end up freezing 8-12 quarts which gives me plenty of chili to simply heat up when I want some.