BGP Cookbook (Part 2)

MBWC41

I’ve been in a recipe rut lately.

How about we share some more of our favorites ?

Carne Asada Tacos:

1 to 2 pounds flank or skirt steak.

Marinade...

Mix together:

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 limes, juiced

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon ground cumin seed

4 garlic cloves, minced

4 jalapeño peppers, minced

1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves and stems, chopped.

Cover steak with marinade and marinate at least 6 hours and up to 24 hours. Flip steak a few times while marinading to evenly cover.

Pick off most of the bits of cilantro and jalapeño before cooking.

I usually Sous Vide this one for 4 hours and then sear but you can cook this as you would any other steak.

The key to flank steak is to keep it rare to medium.

Serve as you would any other taco.

That sounds like a solid recipe. One trick I've learned with flank/skirt and flat iron steaks is that they have to be marinated, I prefer a day or two myself. But on top of that, if it's a piece of meat you like to cook with invest in a $20 or so jaccard meat tenderizer.

The jaccard is essentially a bunch of needles that pierce the meat when you place it on top of the meat and press down. Tenderizes the meat and allows it to take the the marinade better. When tenderized and marinated those types of meat can become as tender as beef tenderloin, but more flavorful.

That sounds like a solid recipe. One trick I've learned with flank/skirt and flat iron steaks is that they have to be marinated, I prefer a day or two myself. But on top of that, if it's a piece of meat you like to cook with invest in a $20 or so jaccard meat tenderizer.

The jaccard is essentially a bunch of needles that pierce the meat when you place it on top of the meat and press down. Tenderizes the meat and allows it to take the the marinade better. When tenderized and marinated those types of meat can become as tender as beef tenderloin, but more flavorful.

I actually have one of those in a drawer somewhere at home. I need to find it and give it a try.

I actually have one of those in a drawer somewhere at home. I need to find it and give it a try.

They work great. The meat comes out more tender and also takes the marinade better. I honestly dont use it for.many types of meat but it does work great on the meats mentioned above.

Also, for those of you who haven’t cooked a piece of meat similar to flank or skirt, thinly slicing against the grain is essential.

That's the most important part, same with brisket. But a marinade is essential as well, imo. After being introduced to the jaccard it's essential for me. But a marinade and a fork will give similar results, I just prefer the jaccard for convenience and you don't see the holes it makes. When I use a fork to poke holes the meat generally looks like a lion pawed at it prior to me cooking it hah.

That's the most important part, same with brisket. But a marinade is essential as well, imo. After being introduced to the jaccard it's essential for me. But a marinade and a fork will give similar results, I just prefer the jaccard for convenience and you don't see the holes it makes. When I use a fork to poke holes the meat generally looks like a lion pawed at it prior to me cooking it hah.

Does it go all the way through the meat and if it does should you try to avoid that ?

Does it go all the way through the meat and if it does should you try to avoid that ?

That would depend on the thickness of the meat but in general if you have a 3/4-1" piece of flank or skirt steak it won't go all the way through. I would avoid letting it go all the way through if possible, you could always just press it down halfway or so if it's a thin piece of meat. I do flip it over and run a cross pattern for the other side of the meat before putting in in the marinade though.

Even if by some chance you did pierce the meat all the way through just remember that its gonna cook a little quicker, but will still be really tender. Using a jaccard in general will cause the meat to cook slightly faster, but it's easy to learn and even if you do overshoot the internal temperature it's still gonna be tender.

I’m big on side dishes and this is by far my favorite one.

BLT pasta salad

1 pound bacon cooked and diced

12 oz bow tie pasta cooked and cooled

1/2 cup mayonnaise

3/4 cup ranch dressing, do yourself a favor and buy the package of the powdered ranch dressing mix, make it and use it for this recipe... you’ll thanks me later...

1 1/2 cup diced tomatoes

1 cup cheddar cheese shredded

1/3 cup red onion diced

1 cup (or more) romaine lettuce

As much green onion as you like and basically any other salad toppings you like. I always throw some black/green olives and sunflower seeds in this.

You may need to add a little more ranch or mayonnaise depending on how many other salad items you add to this. You want the dressing to coat all the vegetables and pasta.

Mix everything together and let this chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes and enjoy.

That would depend on the thickness of the meat but in general if you have a 3/4-1" piece of flank or skirt steak it won't go all the way through. I would avoid letting it go all the way through if possible, you could always just press it down halfway or so if it's a thin piece of meat. I do flip it over and run a cross pattern for the other side of the meat before putting in in the marinade though.

Even if by some chance you did pierce the meat all the way through just remember that its gonna cook a little quicker, but will still be really tender. Using a jaccard in general will cause the meat to cook slightly faster, but it's easy to learn and even if you do overshoot the internal temperature it's still gonna be tender.

Thanks ! I’ll give mine a try this weekend.

I’ve been in a recipe rut lately.

How about we share some more of our favorites ?

Carne Asada Tacos:

1 to 2 pounds flank or skirt steak.

Marinade...

Mix together:

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 limes, juiced

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon ground cumin seed

4 garlic cloves, minced

4 jalapeño peppers, minced

1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves and stems, chopped.

Cover steak with marinade and marinate at least 6 hours and up to 24 hours. Flip steak a few times while marinading to evenly cover.

Pick off most of the bits of cilantro and jalapeño before cooking.

I usually Sous Vide this one for 4 hours and then sear but you can cook this as you would any other steak.

The key to flank steak is to keep it rare to medium.

Serve as you would any other taco.

My marinade is very similar except I use white vinegar (same amount) and 1/2 cup orange juice no sugar.

I prefer what's called a hanger steak.

I also usually make a chimichurri sauce to go with it.

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsely

3 TBLS red wine vinegar

4 cloves garlic

2 TBLS oregano

2 tsp crushed red pepper

1/2 tsp Kosher salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

Chop everything fine or use food processor.

Another Mexican dish I like to make. Because it feeds a lot of people is carnitas. It's also super easy.

You'll need:

A big ole pork butt. In this case you're gonna want to trim any skin or fat off of it.

1 TBLS Cumin

1 TBLS Oregano

1 TBLS Extra Virgin Olive Oil

2 tsp Black Pepper

2 tsp Salt

Make a paste and rub that all over it and in all the cracks and crevices. Put it in your crock pot and pour any remaining rub on it.

Next:

2 onions chopped

3 Jalapenos finely dice

4 cloves garlic crushed

1 cup orange juice

Put everything on the butt. Pour the OJ over everything last. Set on low and cook till pull apart tender.

Remove the pork and shred it. Keep all of the juice. The final step is to pan fry it. You don't have to fry it all up at once, it freezes well or can just be heated up as you need it. You want your heat pretty high. Add a little olive oil, and use about 1/4 of the meat and and a 1/4 of the juice. Cook and stir until the juice is evaporated and the meat is getting little crispy edges.

Now. Make some tacos.:D

My marinade is very similar except I use white vinegar (same amount) and 1/2 cup orange juice no sugar.

I prefer what's called a hanger steak.

I also usually make a chimichurri sauce to go with it.

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsely

3 TBLS red wine vinegar

4 cloves garlic

2 TBLS oregano

2 tsp crushed red pepper

1/2 tsp Kosher salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

Chop everything fine or use food processor.

Hanger steak is one of my favorites.

None of our local butchers carry it so it’s tough to find around here.

I see it at Walmart occasionally but I try to avoid that place like the plague.