Slow Cooker Recipe Favorites

bugatti

Anything you guys can recommend? With my busy work and working out schedule, the wife and I get in later and messing with food often sucks. For me to be a self-proclaimed foodie, I am shocked I have never owned a slow cooker before this Christmas.

Any healthy recipes or favorites you might care to share?

I just started using a slow cooker, too! Here is my favorite so far. It is just a standard roast, but very yummy!

2 lb eye of round roast (other cuts might work, too...this one is low in fat)

4 small potatoes, quartered (leave on skins)

carrots (baby or other)

envelope of onion soup mix

Wostershire sauce

1 cup of water

steak seasoning spices

2 tbsp olive oil

1 medium onion, sliced or diced

In a skillet, heat the olive oil to medium-high heat. Cut the roast into 1 inch thick slices. Sprinkle the pieces with the steak seasonings. Put in the hot olive oil and dash with Wostershire sauce. Heat each side for 3 minutes.

Put the onion in the bottom of the slow cooker and turn on. Add the roast and drippings from the skillet. Add the envelope of onion soup mix and a cup of water. This may not cover the roast - no problem. Heat it on low all day (7 or 8 hours) or on high for a couple of hours, then low for 3 or 4. Add the potatoes and carrots an hour before you are ready to eat (I'd turn it up to high with those in the crock pot). If they are in the crock too long, they will get too mushy.

This is great with brown rice!

I also have a new recipe cooking as we speak. If it turns out well, I'll get you that recipe.

Some what off subject but saw this, we are having a food day at my work today and it is awesome. People brought in all sorts of potted dinners like different pasta's and dips and on and on. So good, had to take today off from the diet.

Pork roast, chops or ribs and sauerkraut. Sometimes throw in a sliced apple or two. Salt, pepper and some brown sugar - one of the simplest recipes I know and it never goes wrong.

Any liquid?

I have a small pork shoulder that I was going to set on tomorrow morning. Throw some cloves on the meat, some quartered potatoes with a small can of tomato soup, onions, and spices.

Here was my supper:

Crockpot

Chicken with Salsa (C1)

Recipe Author: Diane

Archer

2 pounds (32 ounces) chicken breasts, boneless and

skinless

1 cup salsa, homemade or purchased

1 cup petite diced canned

tomatoes (choose low-sodium)

2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning

1 cup onions,

diced fine

1/2 cup celery diced fine

1/2 cup carrots, shredded

tablespoons sour cream, reduced fat (or plain greek yogurt)

Just throw

everything in your crockpot for 6-8 hours!

Also, cut some of that sodium

by making your own taco seasoning!

Makes 8 servings .

Per

serving:

Calories 164.9

fat 2.5g

sodium 253.3

carbs 7.3g

protein

17 Day Diet Gal: Chicken

Very tasty. I put it over brown rice.

Here was my supper:

Crockpot

Chicken with Salsa (C1)

Recipe Author: Diane

Archer

2 pounds (32 ounces) chicken breasts, boneless and

skinless

1 cup salsa, homemade or purchased

1 cup petite diced canned

tomatoes (choose low-sodium)

2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning

1 cup onions,

diced fine

1/2 cup celery diced fine

1/2 cup carrots, shredded

tablespoons sour cream, reduced fat (or plain greek yogurt)

Just throw

everything in your crockpot for 6-8 hours!

Also, cut some of that sodium

by making your own taco seasoning!

Makes 8 servings .

Per

serving:

Calories 164.9

fat 2.5g

sodium 253.3

carbs 7.3g

protein

17 Day Diet Gal: Chicken

Very tasty. I put it over brown rice.

I may give that one a shot shot. I have never made my own taco seasoning.

I do try and cook down my onions a little bit before putting them in the slow cooker to avoid the house and coat rack from stinking.

Here is another recipe that I want to try. My stepmom made it last night and my dad loved it.

Pork Roast

or Carnitas (C2)

Recipe Author: Simmie Sinow

1 tsp salt

1 tsp garlic

powder

1 tsp ground

cumin

½ tsp crumbled

dried

oregano

½ tsp ground

coriander

¼ tsp ground

cinnamon

1 4 lb boneless pork

shoulder roast

2 bay leaves

2 cups chicken

broth

Mix together salt, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, coriander, and

cinnamon in a bowl.

Coat pork with the spice mixture.

Place the

bay leaves in the bottom of a slow cooker and place the pork on top. Pour the

chicken broth around the sides of the pork, being careful not to rinse off the

spice mixture.

Cover and cook on Low until the pork shreds easily with a

fork, about 10 hours.

Turn the meat after it has cooked for 5

hours.

When the pork is tender, remove from slow cooker, and shred with

two forks. Use cooking liquid as needed to moisten the meat.

Notes:

Although this calls for 10 hours in the crockpot, I rarely leave

it in that long – and it is definitely ready to come out. 5-7 hours is more

appropriate, at least with my crockpot!

17 Day Diet Gal: pork

We will see how my pork shoulder works out this evening. It had a pepper and onion seasoning already on it. I added some cloves to the meat, quartered some potatoes, and threw in some mildly cooked down onions that I did last night. Added like a quarter cup of water so we will see what we get. It is hard to screw up a slow cooker meal. I always get excited when I get home to the permeating smell.

This is the easiest slow cooker recipe ever!

3 pound chuck roast

sliced onion

16 oz jar of pepperoncinis

Dump the onion and the whole jar of the pepperoncinis on top of the chuck roast and cook 10 to 12 hours on low. Slice the meat and serve on hoagie buns with the pepperoncinis and a slice of provolone or swiss. This is so easy and so good. Good without the onion, too, if you prefer.

My grandma used to make saurbraten in her slow cooker. It was to die for. You can make pretty healthy chicken with chicken breasts and a couple cans of whichever Campbell's condensed soup suits your mood. Add in all the veggies you'd like as well.

My mom makes a mean crock pot bean soup, although I'm not sure on how healthy that is. Depending on the cut of beef you decide on, you can make a pretty heathly swiss steak in the crock pot as well:

Swiss Steak

1-2 pounds of whichever flat cut of steak you prefer, dusted with salt, pepper, and a little flour. Set those aside on a plate.

Add a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes a tablespoon or two of tomato paste, a couple cloves of chopped garlic, 1/3 cup of olive oil, and 1 julienned bell pepper, and some carrot slices into the crock pot and stir them together.

Slice 1 medium-to-large onion into layers of rings.

Sink a layer of onion, and then a piece of steak, and then another layer of onion, and then a piece of steak into the sauce until you run out. Just toss in whatever onion you may have left on top of the whole deal.

Start your slow cooker in the morning when you leave for work, and by the time you get home that night, it's spectacular. Goes well over mashed potatoes, egg noodles, or rice.

My grandma used to make saurbraten in her slow cooker. It was to die for. You can make pretty healthy chicken with chicken breasts and a couple cans of whichever Campbell's condensed soup suits your mood. Add in all the veggies you'd like as well.

My mom makes a mean crock pot bean soup, although I'm not sure on how healthy that is. Depending on the cut of beef you decide on, you can make a pretty heathly swiss steak in the crock pot as well:

Swiss Steak

1-2 pounds of whichever flat cut of steak you prefer, dusted with salt, pepper, and a little flour. Set those aside on a plate.

Add a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes a tablespoon or two of tomato paste, a couple cloves of chopped garlic, 1/3 cup of olive oil, and 1 julienned bell pepper, and some carrot slices into the crock pot and stir them together.

Slice 1 medium-to-large onion into layers of rings.

Sink a layer of onion, and then a piece of steak, and then another layer of onion, and then a piece of steak into the sauce until you run out. Just toss in whatever onion you may have left on top of the whole deal.

Start your slow cooker in the morning when you leave for work, and by the time you get home that night, it's spectacular. Goes well over mashed potatoes, egg noodles, or rice.

Oh, some folks will brown the steak in a skillet after it's floured. That's kinda optional, I guess. I don't generally do it.

Oh, some folks will brown the steak in a skillet after it's floured. That's kinda optional, I guess. I don't generally do it.

Mom always did this. However, she would always slow-cook it in a gravy of onions and cream of mushroom soup that was to die for. Never could figure out how to recreate it, and I don't think she's made it in years.