Great home recipes for Asian/Thai food ?

hidinout

Just about any type of Asian food is probably my favorite type of food, but I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never create something of my own that tastes that similar to most restaurants - and I won't even try Indian, Japanese, or anything too complicated. Despite this, I've had luck experimenting to generally come up with something that fits my taste. I don't have any recipes, but have a few pointers I generally stick with while experimenting.

1. White rice in a rice cooker is my favorite. I've tried stove-top and microwave, and tried going the brown rice route, but white in the rice cooker is the only way I have gotten the rice to be more sticky like restaurants serve.

2. Use fresh ginger. It's a pain, but definitely worth it. When you buy the root I recommend freezing it and taking it out right before cooking. It's cheap, but it lasts fairly long in the freezer. Scrap the peel off with the back of a spoon and grate it basically as small as you can without just juicing it. It doesn't seem as stringy as at room temperature when frozen. When you think you have added enough to your sauce, go ahead and grate some more.

3. Sesame oil and/or sesame seeds. Throw some of this on the top right before serving. The oil is strong, so try not to add more than a cap-full. Sesame seeds are another alternative and give a dish a varied texture while adding another flavor.

4. Sriracha - If making a sauce beforehand, don't be afraid to add some at the beginning to add some spice. I like it as a condiment as well, but it does a good job of taking on other flavors when used while cooking.

5. Bottles of hoison, pad thai, and peanut sauce are better used as bases. On they're own they don't make your food taste restaurant quality, but mix and match and add other ingredients to your preference. I usually use ginger, soy and sriracha - sometimes sesame oil and a dash of rice wine vinegar.

6. I usually stick with chicken and vegetables - pepper, broccoli, onion, garlic, and/or carrot. I always add too much sauce. I have to remind myself to mix up a sauce separate from the dish and only add a little to cook in. You can always add more on top.

7. Try stir-frying your veggies at a fairly high heat with very little oil. Keep moving the veggies around the wok or pan, and try to keep them relatively crunchy.

This is how I make my version of Hunan Chicken

Ingredients

1 1/8 cups raw chicken breasts, sliced about 1/8-inch thick across the grain

1⁄2 cup raw carrot, strips (1/8-inch thick, 1/2-inch wide, 1 to 2-inch long)

1⁄2 cup green pepper, chunks

1⁄2 cup baby corn, drained

1⁄2 cup water chestnut, drained

1⁄2 cup bamboo shoot, drained

2 Tablespoons sesame oil

Sauce

2 teaspoon garlic paste

3 tablespoons soy sauce

1 tablespoon chopped green onion

1 tablespoon hoisin sauce

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon ginger - fresh is better powdered is fine.

1 teaspoon salt

2 chili oil

6 -8 dried hot chili peppers

DIRECTIONS

In about 2 tablespoons of hot oil, saute the chicken for about 2 minutes until no longer pink.

Scoop the chicken out with a slotted strainer and set aside.

Toss all of the veggies into the pan and sauté for about 2 minutes. Then remove and set aside.

Put the sauce ingredients into the pan. Heat and stir together well.

Add the chicken and vegetables back into the sauce and stir around until well coated. If it looks too dry, add a little more soy sauce.

Serve over cooked rice.

made this last week and it was simple and really good.

Asian Jalapeno Chicken - Damn Delicious

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves

For the sauce

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1/2 cup honey

2 cloves garlic, minced

Juice of 1 lemon

2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 teaspoon Sriracha

1 jalapeno, thinly sliced

Directions:

Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Add chicken to the skillet and cook until golden, about 2-3 minutes; set aside.

In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water; set aside.

In a small saucepan over medium high heat, combine honey, garlic, lemon juice, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, Sriracha and jalapeno.

Bring to a boil; reduce heat and stir in cornstarch mixture until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in chicken.

Serve immediately, garnished with sesame seeds and cilantro, if desired.