Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

Just now, nkypete said:

Have to play that by ear once we get there.  Good thoughts, however.  Regarding reception, obviously we put our RSVP for the food count.  Additionally, we have 8 other family members who are facing the same situation at that table.  I guess we wish that it all could have been postponed to 2021.

If you were my Dad, I would ask you not to go to the reception.  RSVP be damned.  It isn't worth the risk, in my opinion. 

Hope it all works out, Pete.  Tough spot to be in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, nkypete said:

My wife and I have a potentially uncomfortable situation coming up on August 8.  Our niece is getting married in NKY (limiting service to 60 people).  However, the reception is in Cincinnati for 200 people.  Both of us now have underlying conditions and are exactly 60 years old.  We wear masks.  As we understand it, the tables will seat 10, but not sure how far apart the tables will be.  The meal is a buffet, but workers from the hall will put the food on our plates for us (served 30 minutes after the bride and groom arrive).  Masks will be available for those who don't bring one (but have been told that nobody will be the "mask police").  There will be sanitizing stations around the hall.  Being "family", I assume people will want to talk to us. Our table will probably be "out of the way of traffic" (whatever that means).  I guess not near the bar or the buffet table.  Some of our concerns - 1) Will others be wearing masks?  2) How much traffic will occur in our "6 feet space"?  3) Brother of bride and his fiance are now in Myrtle Beach, SC (a current hot spot for COVID-19) - doubt that they will self quarantine prior to wedding.  Our plans are to try to distance ourselves as much as possible at both the wedding and the reception.  Eat and leave quickly before it gets too crazy.  I haven't been posting much in this thread because our position on the virus is very "in the middle"; in other words, we respect social liberties and freedoms of those who feel one way and we understand the concerns and fears of those who feel the other way about the virus, studies, masks, etc.

Not afraid of dying.  We are more concerned about long range effects (heart, lung, etc.) that some people have to live with who do survive after they get the virus.  We just don't want to catch this stupid thing with our underlying conditions and hope (maybe with much gullibility) that people will do the right thing around us.

Does anybody have any other thoughts if they were in our position?  My wife is the godmother of the bride.  A final consideration is not bringing shame and division to the entire family by blowing off the wedding and reception entirely.

I personally would explain to my niece why I cannot attend. Maybe they will have someone broadcast it on Facebook Live or something similar. The bottom line for me is the need to be safe. I’ve had to turn down two events this summer and in both situations those involved have completely understood. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, True blue (and gold) said:

I personally would explain to my niece why I cannot attend. Maybe they will have someone broadcast it on Facebook Live or something similar. The bottom line for me is the need to be safe. I’ve had to turn down two events this summer and in both situations those involved have completely understood. 

Actually, one of my sons may do the broadcast of the wedding on Facebook Live, but not the reception.  

48 minutes ago, nkypete said:

My wife and I have a potentially uncomfortable situation coming up on August 8.  Our niece is getting married in NKY (limiting service to 60 people).  However, the reception is in Cincinnati for 200 people.  Both of us now have underlying conditions and are exactly 60 years old.  We wear masks.  As we understand it, the tables will seat 10, but not sure how far apart the tables will be.  The meal is a buffet, but workers from the hall will put the food on our plates for us (served 30 minutes after the bride and groom arrive).  Masks will be available for those who don't bring one (but have been told that nobody will be the "mask police").  There will be sanitizing stations around the hall.  Being "family", I assume people will want to talk to us. Our table will probably be "out of the way of traffic" (whatever that means).  I guess not near the bar or the buffet table.  Some of our concerns - 1) Will others be wearing masks?  2) How much traffic will occur in our "6 feet space"?  3) Brother of bride and his fiance are now in Myrtle Beach, SC (a current hot spot for COVID-19) - doubt that they will self quarantine prior to wedding.  Our plans are to try to distance ourselves as much as possible at both the wedding and the reception.  Eat and leave quickly before it gets too crazy.  I haven't been posting much in this thread because our position on the virus is very "in the middle"; in other words, we respect social liberties and freedoms of those who feel one way and we understand the concerns and fears of those who feel the other way about the virus, studies, masks, etc.

Not afraid of dying.  We are more concerned about long range effects (heart, lung, etc.) that some people have to live with who do survive after they get the virus.  We just don't want to catch this stupid thing with our underlying conditions and hope (maybe with much gullibility) that people will do the right thing around us.

Does anybody have any other thoughts if they were in our position?  My wife is the godmother of the bride.  A final consideration is not bringing shame and division to the entire family by blowing off the wedding and reception entirely.

If I did not feel comfortable going, I would explain my reasoning and stay home, case closed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nkypete said:

I would say distance yourselves at the wedding ceremony.   Have someone else drop off the gift at the reception.  I don't see how anyone can be upset with people avoiding crowds or large events right now.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

That's awesome!  Especially the parents getting out.  So many of the deaths are folks in that age bracket.  Glad they are all home!

It was good to see all of them out.  Not sure how directly it maybe related but another sibling is undergoing serious experimental medical treatments.  So the stress level on the family has to be high.  Stress is hard on immune systems and leaves one vulnerable - to COVID and other things. 

Everyone needs to try to keep the stress away, as hard as that is at this time. 

9 hours ago, nkypete said:

I would go to the wedding. Arrive late. Sit in the back. I would not go to the reception. 

• Thanks 1

I now know 4 people who have tested positive for the virus. All are related to work. A fellow who tested positive over a month ago is due back to work on Monday. He had no symptoms but tested positive second time after his 1st 14 day quarantine. His last test was negative after a 2nd 14 day quarantine. 

A customer service agent who was already working from home caught it from her husband. Her daughter also tested positive for Covid. For some reason, her husband's test results took more than 2 weeks to process, and though they came back positive, by the time he got them, he had been symptom free from more than 2 weeks and was cleared to return to work. He had a mild flu like symptoms, nothing more. The daughter had no symptoms at all. The CSR from my workplace had mild cold symptoms and had lost her sense of taste and smell. With the exception of her senses, which are improving, she has recovered. Since she is working from home, she has not missed a day of work. 

• Like 1

Had some discussions this weekend with people in nursing home industry and inside hospital administration during a quick check-in run to western side of state. 

I will just list here.

• Nursing homes - still very challenging situations, even in the ones without much impact.  The wall-to-wall testing done found many asymptomatic patients in some cases.  At in one incident many stayed postive for longer than two weeks.  Three of them were still showing positive test after 60 days in isolation.  Luckily the CDC just changed the rules for long-term asymptomatics in nursing homes to allow them to come out of strict isolation if they are still not symptomatic after at least two weeks (maybe more - not sure on specific).  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/disposition-in-home-patients.html

• Nursing homes 2 - mandates are putting strain on facilities, even when cleared.  Example is visitations have to be 'monitored' in person - so staff is needed to just to have visitations. 
  • Nursing homes 3 - Ohio County still have trouble with recently outbreak apparently. 

https://www.tristatehomepage.com/news/local-news/ohio-county-reports-first-covid-19-death-one-day-after-an-outbreak-reported-at-a-long-term-care-facility/

• Positive again - an upper middle aged man who had the virus for sure in March tested positive again after being clear for at least couple of months.  He was a small event where a person tested positive a couple of days later.  Seems like bad news for the "had it once and no worries" scenarios.
  • Not easily spread - people at event above did all get tested.  Most were young.  Except above, all others were negative.  Seems like good news
  • Treatment is better than few months ago.  Hence the improved fatality rate in face of rising number of "cases" and infected people.  Comment was that regardless of statistics issues/concerns - the number infected and needing care is rising for sure.
  • The overall situation is clearly showing signs of straining people via reports one of the people sees daily.  Both drug overdoes and suicide attempts are rising.  Currently the overdoses are most prevalent and problem-some. 
  • Three seems to be agreement on view that things are "mutating".  Cases where rashes develop now is being seen in kids and in adults in the lower risk categories. I had not heard about these cases with rash before yesterday. 

Take care all. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Is it only a matter of time until they limit capacity to 25% again or forcibly close things in KY?

If these numbers keep creeping up, then I think we could see a return to an earlier level of reopening.  I don't think anyone wants to get into another shutdown but it could occur.