Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coronavirus

Featured Replies

  • Replies 3.6k
  • Views 313.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • My wife is home, but is really no better than when I took her to the ER. However everything they were doing for her there, we are going to be able to do at home. She has a very long recovery in front

  • I mean isn’t that kind of what we did with not allowing smoking inside restaurants? Isn’t that why there’s no smoking at sporting events? It’s to make other people feel more comfortable. Kind of simil

  • This is what I envisioned when the shutdown talks started. I would have never imagined that so many employees were “essential”.    We didn’t really shutdown. We quit going out to eat and t

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I would like to see what the death rate has been over the past month or two. I also wonder what the ICU rate is the past couple months. I think both of those are dramatically lower than they were back in April. That is why I am in favor of pushing ahead with everything despite high new case rates - as long as we keep mandatory mask rules in place.

On April 20th the death rate was 5.74%.

On May 27th it was 4.36%.

On June 15th it was 3.84%.

Yesterday 1.38%

17 minutes ago, swamprat said:

On April 20th the death rate was 5.74%.

On May 27th it was 4.36%.

On June 15th it was 3.84%.

Yesterday 1.38%

That rate is deaths/cases - yes? 

I think the increase in testing and finding more "cases" is driving part of that ratio. 

I did find charts showing the rise in deaths in Florida on an absolute basis.  Definitely uptick in 'deaths per day' moving average.  But not an explosion at all. 

Yesterday, Moderna started Phase III testing of their vaccine.

3 hours ago, swamprat said:

On April 20th the death rate was 5.74%.

On May 27th it was 4.36%.

On June 15th it was 3.84%.

Yesterday 1.38%

 

2 hours ago, Bluegrasscard said:

That rate is deaths/cases - yes? 

I think the increase in testing and finding more "cases" is driving part of that ratio. 

I did find charts showing the rise in deaths in Florida on an absolute basis.  Definitely uptick in 'deaths per day' moving average.  But not an explosion at all. 

If we look strictly at the death rate from June 15th to now it is probably in the same range of the death rate from the flu.  That documents medical science has developed treatment methods that are effective in reducing the death rate. I am sure the rate for people going in to ICU's is also dropping just as dramatically.

That means we have one problem -  rapidly increasing case counts.  If we can just get people to put on masks, that should reduce case counts and make the virus a nuisance more than a pandemic.  For any person who still balks at wearing a mask I have one question. Do you wear a seatbelt when you drive your car? 

3 hours ago, swamprat said:

Yesterday, Moderna started Phase III testing of their vaccine.

Unfortunately, Moderna's vaccine is not something I can support from an ethical perspective.  Sources tell me that it is derived from aborted fetal cell lines.

https://www.all.org/covid-petition

I hope other alternative vaccines will be available that do not pose this problem for me.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

 

If we look strictly at the death rate from June 15th to now it is probably in the same range of the death rate from the flu.  That documents medical science has developed treatment methods that are effective in reducing the death rate. I am sure the rate for people going in to ICU's is also dropping just as dramatically.

That means we have one problem -  rapidly increasing case counts.  If we can just get people to put on masks, that should reduce case counts and make the virus a nuisance more than a pandemic.  For any person who still balks at wearing a mask I have one question. Do you wear a seatbelt when you drive your car? 

There is still not evidence that mask make any difference.  If anything, statistically, its the opposite.  And seeing it practice - it may very well make things more risky and not less.  Mask are not at all a solution, especially in school settings that are coming up. 

Making HCQ over the counter and encouraging daily zinc supplements maybe a more sustainable response. 

 

32 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

There is still not evidence that mask make any difference.  If anything, statistically, its the opposite.  And seeing it practice - it may very well make things more risky and not less.  Mask are not at all a solution, especially in school settings that are coming up. 

Making HCQ over the counter and encouraging daily zinc supplements maybe a more sustainable response. 

 

No offense but on that I am going to follow the recommendation of the many doctors and experts saying wear the mask. Plus, if the mask doesn't help, then having an open economy and schools and sports is hopeless till we get a vaccine. I prefer to try it versus try nothing and watch everything shut down again.

On HCQ, you are referring to hydrochloriquine? I thought every study done showed it is ineffective?

1 hour ago, nkypete said:

Unfortunately, Moderna's vaccine is not something I can support from an ethical perspective.  Sources tell me that it is derived from aborted fetal cell lines.

https://www.all.org/covid-petition

I hope other alternative vaccines will be available that do not pose this problem for me.

Doesn't the Catholic church say in some cases it is ok to use vaccines developed from aborted fetal cell lines?

As this issue is important to you, you are probably aware the fetal cells used are from the 1970's-80's. Others reading this may not know that. The significance being use of these 40 year old fetal cell lines does not encourage abortions today.

37 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

There is still not evidence that mask make any difference.  If anything, statistically, its the opposite. 

 

Why do doctors and nurses wear masks?

43 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

 Making HCQ over the counter and encouraging daily zinc supplements maybe a more sustainable response. 

 

There is no credible evidence that HCQ is a good option to prevent nor treat COVID. 

5 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Why do doctors and nurses wear masks?

Because they work on people with open wounds or during surgeries where the immune system will not protect the patient. 

4 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

On HCQ, you are referring to hydrochloriquine? I thought every study done showed it is ineffective?

I've seen several studies that have shown a benefit to using HCQ.  It seems that the common conclusion is that HCQ if given early in the course of the virus infection has had a positive effect, however, when given once the infection is severe it has not helped.  Other countries such as India have been using HCQ to treat a significant amount of their patients and even as a prophylatic for it's health care workers.  

The initial study that was widely publicized from the Lancent had to be retracted due to using corrupt data from a third party.  

Several Dr. across the country are still using HCQ.  Just read an article this morning about an Evansville police officer (who so far is the only officer in the agency to test positive)  He is in his mid 50's and required hospitalization for 5 days.  He was given HCQ and within 24 hours his condition drastically improved.  Maybe this is just more anecdotal evidence but I've seen so much of this, I can't help to think that there must be something to it.  

 

 

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

There is no credible evidence that HCQ is a good option to prevent nor treat COVID. 

There has been for years.  Including the original SARS outbreak. 

1 minute ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Because they work on people with open wounds or during surgeries where the immune system will not protect the patient. 

I'm talking about specifically related to COVID. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.