Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

12 hours ago, swamprat said:

Friday July 24 will mark one month since Hillsborough, Pasco, and Pinellas Counties implemented their mask ordinances and closed all of the bars. Since July 1st the number of positive cases in Hillsborough alone has increased by more than 110%. 

Could that be because of more testing?  If those restrictions had not been in place would the rate be 300%? People can be positive for weeks and not know it.  I am not discounting your point, just trying to get a grasp as wel all have for the last few months. .  The frustrating thing to me is statistics can have a lot of things factored in.  It is hard to know how to interpret them.

Talked with a coworker that lives in Arizona yesterday.  His daughter had come in contact with some friends and apparently one of them had it, so she got tested and it came back positive for COVID-19.

They isolated her in her room.  The parents, the other daughter, and boyfriend all get tested and it was negative.  A little bit later they all got anti-body tests done too, all negative except for the daughter that tested positive for COVID-19, she obviously tested positive for the antibodies too.  She never showed any symptoms.

So strange that someone in your house can get it but not necessarily spread to the rest of your family.  This thing is weird.

2 hours ago, Beechwoodfan said:

Could that be because of more testing?  If those restrictions had not been in place would the rate be 300%? People can be positive for weeks and not know it.  I am not discounting your point, just trying to get a grasp as wel all have for the last few months. .  The frustrating thing to me is statistics can have a lot of things factored in.  It is hard to know how to interpret them.

The number of cases statewide has increased by more than 140%, so there could be a case made that the mask ordinances are working, I rarely see anybody inside a business without a mask. You were down here. People are following the laws. The allegations of fraud are rampant, but with the exception of the investigative reports made by channel 35 in Orlando, I've seen no creditable proof of such. 

They started the month off testing like crazy, but with all the fraud allegations, it has dropped to about 80,000 tests a day, statewide. 

Yes. I am a nerd. I keep a running spreadsheet. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Talked with a coworker that lives in Arizona yesterday.  His daughter had come in contact with some friends and apparently one of them had it, so she got tested and it came back positive for COVID-19.

They isolated her in her room.  The parents, the other daughter, and boyfriend all get tested and it was negative.  A little bit later they all got anti-body tests done too, all negative except for the daughter that tested positive for COVID-19, she obviously tested positive for the antibodies too.  She never showed any symptoms.

So strange that someone in your house can get it but not necessarily spread to the rest of your family.  This thing is weird.

This actually matches what has been documented in the less popular reports and studies that do not promote the doomsday scenarios.   

This includes that young, healthy people, even when positive are not good spreaders (likely due to a healthy immune system keeping the replication down) and that asymptomatic people do not easily (if at all) spread.  This is likely due to same thing - a strong immune system that is keeping the replication down and thus preventing symptoms and preventing shedding to others. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

That’s how it was with my niece who caught it.  5 other people In the house, and no one else got it. They live in a large house, so she was able to isolate pretty easily.  

1 minute ago, swamprat said:

The number of cases statewide has increased by more than 140%, so there could be a case made that the mask ordinances are working, I rarely see anybody inside a business without a mask. You were down here. People are following the laws. The allegations of fraud are rampant, but with the exception of the investigative reports made by channel 35 in Orlando, I've seen no creditable proof of such. 

They started the month off testing like crazy, but with all the fraud allegations, it has dropped to about 80,000 tests a day, statewide. 

Yes. I am a nerd. I keep a running spreadsheet. 

Any chance to know what the sources are of the "cases".  I continue to find this term difficult to use for any metric when it does represent actual unique infected people. 

The other thing is what constituted a "case" over time.  Since we saw where some places record a positive "case" as a positive antibody test now.  Well, just that means that the baseline metric of "cases" was different between the period when antibody testing was available and now that it is. 

It may not be direct fraud, but using "cases" as a key measure, especially when comparing over time, when its sources and definition changes is definitely suspect to the whole understanding the actual situation. 

• Like 1

Two parents and a daughter that I grew up with were hospitalized due to the virus.  The parents are in their 80s and she is in her upper 50s.  Parents had it first, she came down to help out.  All 3 were in hospital.  All three out now after 2-3 weeks. 

22 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Any chance to know what the sources are of the "cases".  I continue to find this term difficult to use for any metric when it does represent actual unique infected people. 

The other thing is what constituted a "case" over time.  Since we saw where some places record a positive "case" as a positive antibody test now.  Well, just that means that the baseline metric of "cases" was different between the period when antibody testing was available and now that it is. 

It may not be direct fraud, but using "cases" as a key measure, especially when comparing over time, when its sources and definition changes is definitely suspect to the whole understanding the actual situation. 

I have no way of getting the source data, but the allegations of using anitbody test results as positive test results are prevalent at the moment. Again, with the exception of channel 35's reporting, I've seen no creditable proof, just allegations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Two parents and a daughter that I grew up with were hospitalized due to the virus.  The parents are in their 80s and she is in her upper 50s.  Parents had it first, she came down to help out.  All 3 were in hospital.  All three out now after 2-3 weeks. 

That's awesome!  Especially the parents getting out.  So many of the deaths are folks in that age bracket.  Glad they are all home!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

That’s how it was with my niece who caught it.  5 other people In the house, and no one else got it. They live in a large house, so she was able to isolate pretty easily.  

I saw where Ric Flair's wife tested positive.  He said she has been living on the third floor while he lives in the basement. 

The first case in our county was a 27 year-old female.  They told her husband to take his daughter and go live elsewhere, which they did.

10 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Not good news. If masks don't work in slowing it down, then what is left to try and get this under some control?

Perhaps allow people to have the freedom to make decisions on their own as to what precautions they want to take? I’m not even sure what the goal people want obtained anymore. It started as flattening the curve, and now it seems some want a cure or vaccine first. What about those who do not want the vaccine? What shall we do with them?

My wife and I have a potentially uncomfortable situation coming up on August 8.  Our niece is getting married in NKY (limiting service to 60 people).  However, the reception is in Cincinnati for 200 people.  Both of us now have underlying conditions and are exactly 60 years old.  We wear masks.  As we understand it, the tables will seat 10, but not sure how far apart the tables will be.  The meal is a buffet, but workers from the hall will put the food on our plates for us (served 30 minutes after the bride and groom arrive).  Masks will be available for those who don't bring one (but have been told that nobody will be the "mask police").  There will be sanitizing stations around the hall.  Being "family", I assume people will want to talk to us. Our table will probably be "out of the way of traffic" (whatever that means).  I guess not near the bar or the buffet table.  Some of our concerns - 1) Will others be wearing masks?  2) How much traffic will occur in our "6 feet space"?  3) Brother of bride and his fiance are now in Myrtle Beach, SC (a current hot spot for COVID-19) - doubt that they will self quarantine prior to wedding.  Our plans are to try to distance ourselves as much as possible at both the wedding and the reception.  Eat and leave quickly before it gets too crazy.  I haven't been posting much in this thread because our position on the virus is very "in the middle"; in other words, we respect social liberties and freedoms of those who feel one way and we understand the concerns and fears of those who feel the other way about the virus, studies, masks, etc.

Not afraid of dying.  We are more concerned about long range effects (heart, lung, etc.) that some people have to live with who do survive after they get the virus.  We just don't want to catch this stupid thing with our underlying conditions and hope (maybe with much gullibility) that people will do the right thing around us.

Does anybody have any other thoughts if they were in our position?  My wife is the godmother of the bride.  A final consideration is not bringing shame and division to the entire family by blowing off the wedding and reception entirely.

3 minutes ago, nkypete said:

My wife and I have a potentially uncomfortable situation coming up on August 8.  Our niece is getting married in NKY (limiting service to 60 people).  However, the reception is in Cincinnati for 200 people.  Both of us now have underlying conditions and are exactly 60 years old.  We wear masks.  As we understand it, the tables will seat 10, but not sure how far apart the tables will be.  The meal is a buffet, but workers from the hall will put the food on our plates for us (served 30 minutes after the bride and groom arrive).  Masks will be available for those who don't bring one (but have been told that nobody will be the "mask police").  There will be sanitizing stations around the hall.  Being "family", I assume people will want to talk to us. Our table will probably be "out of the way of traffic" (whatever that means).  I guess not near the bar or the buffet table.  Some of our concerns - 1) Will others be wearing masks?  2) How much traffic will occur in our "6 feet space"?  3) Brother of bride and his fiance are now in Myrtle Beach, SC (a current hot spot for COVID-19) - doubt that they will self quarantine prior to wedding.  Our plans are to try to distance ourselves as much as possible at both the wedding and the reception.  Eat and leave quickly before it gets too crazy.  I haven't been posting much in this thread because our position on the virus is very "in the middle"; in other words, we respect social liberties and freedoms of those who feel one way and we understand the concerns and fears of those who feel the other way about the virus, studies, masks, etc.

Not afraid of dying.  We are more concerned about long range effects (heart, lung, etc.) that some people have to live with who do survive after they get the virus.  We just don't want to catch this stupid thing with our underlying conditions and hope (maybe with much gullibility) that people will do the right thing around us.

Does anybody have any other thoughts if they were in our position?  My wife is the godmother of the bride.  A final consideration is not bringing shame and division to the entire family by blowing off the wedding and reception entirely.

Maybe just go for the ceremony and leave.  Is there a place where you can sit just the two of you?  Or even stand somewhere by yourselves?

6 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

Maybe just go for the ceremony and leave.  Is there a place where you can sit just the two of you?  Or even stand somewhere by yourselves?

Have to play that by ear once we get there.  Good thoughts, however.  Regarding reception, obviously we put our RSVP for the food count.  Additionally, we have 8 others of our family members who are facing the same situation at that table.  I guess we wish that it all could have been postponed to 2021.