Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

4 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

So northerners brought it en mass into states like Tennesse, Mississippi, Louisana, etc too?  Places that are running high rates than previously before. And even if they brought it, shouldn't the sun have knocked it out anyway? And if outsiders are bringing this in, doesn't this support policies like lockdowns, and masks to keep the virus "where it is"?

I am somewhat confused on Tennessee comment.  They seem, on the surface to be fairing better than Kentucky, at least in terms of fatalities. 

The sun does not block things.  It is the catalyst for humans to create their own vitamin-D.  As pointed out above Vitamin-D will not stop the infection from entering but it will fight it once its taken hold.  Hence why if you have a serious Vitamin-D deficiency and get infected - its real bad news.  The death rate closely maps to the levels of Vitamin-D deficiency in individuals. 

The problem with lock downs as it pertains to this area is that if people stay indoors more they will not build up natural Vitamin-D.  Combined with other weakening of the immune system due to lack of interaction the result is people are much more like to get infected ('Rona or anything else) when they 'come out'. 

• Like 1

Vitamin D study with references to topics above: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7276229/

Long read.

From the Conclusion

"An inadequate supply of vitamin D has a variety of skeletal and non-skeletal effects. There is ample evidence that various non-communicable diseases (hypertension, diabetes, CVD, metabolic syndrome) are associated with low vitamin D plasma levels. These comorbidities, together with the often concomitant vitamin D deficiency, increase the risk of severe COVID-19 events. Much more attention should be paid to the importance of vitamin D status for the development and course of the disease. Particularly in the methods used to control the pandemic (lockdown), the skin's natural vitamin D synthesis is reduced when people have few opportunities to be exposed to the sun. ..."

Emphasis added. 

5 hours ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Takes more than a week to build up.  And Vitamin-D seems to be key to fight the infection more than preventing or protecting from it.  

But like I said this was "gut feel" after seeing one vacation spot. 

I was referring to all the people who live in the sunny states who got infected, not the ones that traveled there. The residents in those states should have Vitamin-D protection but it didn't appear to protect them.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

I was referring to all the people who live in the sunny states who got infected, not the ones that traveled there. The residents in those states should have Vitamin-D protection but it didn't appear to protect them.

One potential explanation I heard was that they went back inside to the AC - because its now hot.  Especially the older folks.  But just a speculative WAG there and really have no idea. 

Some of this uptick was  or should have been expected.  Remember the Philly-St. Louis social distancing stories?  Remember the graph (link below)?  The pandemic hung on longer at a higher rate than Philly.  AND it up-ticked later in the cycle.  So the uptick should have been expected.  The curve was flattened (good), but it is elongated with a less predictable path (bad).  It should not be considered a failure to have this uptick as if it is peoples fault.  It has nothing to do with masks.  It was inevitable after 2-3 months of people mostly living in isolation who now have weakened and damaged immune systems that have to rebuild. 

https://i0.wp.com/microbialmenagerie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/StLouis-Philadelphia.jpg?w=1280&ssl=1

• Like 1

As far as Vitamin-D I should be good.  My wife has had me taking 5,000 iu a day since early March along with Zinc and a bunch of other stuff.  With the studies that have come out regarding poor outcomes to those with Covid and Vitamin-D deficiencies, I think this is something that everybody should be doing.   Can't see how it would hurt anybody to do it, and it's fairly inexpensive.  

• Like 2

Egypt doctors and Vitamin-D:

https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/1/88198/Doctors-in-Egypt’s-quarantine-hospitals-to-receive-million-Vitamin-D

CAIRO – 1 June 2020: The Egyptian Health Ministry will distribute a million drug doses of Vitamin D to quarantine hospitals, as an important element to support the immune cells of the doctors treating coronavirus (COVID-19) patients.

This will help doctors as they stay for long time inside hospitals without being subjected to sunlight, the Health Ministry said....

• Thanks 1

From Les Dixon today:

• Our current state average is at 0.0473 (4.7 percent) — total cases (29,386) divided by total tests (621,206). Our 4.7 average continues to remain as one of the lowest in the country.

• And remember our state average was 0.083 (8.3 percent) on April 23.

• Our 7-Day average is at 5.6 percent.

• Our hospitalizations are at 587, and ICU numbers are at 110.

Mrs. S is doing better with her pneumonia, but must remain isolated for another 6-8 weeks.

Many people, not doctors, have been egging her to get tested for Covid-19. So she asked again. The doctor again stated that he did not want her to get tested for Covid-19 saying she does not have any of the symptoms and getting tested was unnecessary. Doing so "just clutters the testing and causes the numbers to be messed up."

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, JDEaston said:

So how long will it be before goggles are mandated to go to the grocery store? However long it takes to make millions of goggles?

If they require those, I'm screwed cause a can't find anything at the grocery without my glasses and I really doubt any goggles would work with the glasses.  

28 minutes ago, JDEaston said:

So how long will it be before goggles are mandated to go to the grocery store? However long it takes to make millions of goggles?

😬

You forgot the sarcasm emoji. 

It does look like required masking may be having an impact. New case numbers have leveled off. Now we need to see those numbers dropping.

16 hours ago, JDEaston said:

16 hours ago, Irish Cat said:

If they require those, I'm screwed cause a can't find anything at the grocery without my glasses and I really doubt any goggles would work with the glasses.  

16 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

😬

You forgot the sarcasm emoji. 

It does look like required masking may be having an impact. New case numbers have leveled off. Now we need to see those numbers dropping.

Tony is very clear about this, we should be wearing goggles according to him.

That is how it works, brow-beat everyone into wearing masks and then tell them it is time to start wearing goggles. 

I am being serious here, I wonder what is next...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theguru said:

Tony is very clear about this, we should be wearing goggles according to him.

That is how it works, brow-beat everyone into wearing masks and then tell them it is time to start wearing goggles. 

I am being serious here, I wonder what is next...

With all we have seen and are seeing, I will not say never. Desperate times. The US is #1 in the world in COVID by almost every measurement. I don't know of any country that recommended goggles and all these other countries have done better than the US without them.

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

With all we have seen and are seeing, I will not say never. Desperate times. The US is #1 in the world in COVID by almost every measurement. I don't know of any country that recommended goggles and all these other countries have done better than the US without them.

Comparatively speaking I think it is pretty straightforward science.  Here is what Tony says about it:

"You have mucosa in the nose, mucosa in the mouth, but you also have mucosa in the eye," he continued. "Theoretically, you should protect all the mucosal surfaces. So if you have goggles or an eye shield you should use it."

42 minutes ago, theguru said:

Comparatively speaking I think it is pretty straightforward science.  Here is what Tony says about it:

"You have mucosa in the nose, mucosa in the mouth, but you also have mucosa in the eye," he continued. "Theoretically, you should protect all the mucosal surfaces. So if you have goggles or an eye shield you should use it."

The science make sense but why has every other country in the world been able to contain this without wearing goggles?