Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

3 hours ago, theguru said:

Considering there was a patient zero (one person) that started this pandemic and now we have tens of thousands of new cases daily we (human beings) are along for the ride.  

Exactly. Delaying reopening is only delaying the inevitable. This thing has to run its course. I can’t wait to see the shade for those who decline getting the vaccine lol.

India is finding use of HCQ has merit as a prophylactic.  

https://health.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/pharma/why-icmr-continues-to-stand-firm-on-using-hydroxychloroquine-as-prophylaxis/76172274

A recent case-controlled study by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has underlined the benefit of hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) as prophylaxis, showing that the sustained use of the anti-malaria drug along with the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) was associated with a significant decline in risk of Covid-19 infection rate by upto 80% among the health care workers.

India only has 25 deaths per million according to Worldometers.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Irish Cat said:

https://health.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/pharma/why-icmr-continues-to-stand-firm-on-using-hydroxychloroquine-as-prophylaxis/76172274

Thanks for the info. As to India's death rate, they were late to the "party". They are about two months behind us in their battle. That is a big benefit to them in that they get to take advantage of all the science that happened in the months before their case counts started escalating. I expect their death rate to be on the lower end of the spectrum because of that and to continue to stay on the lower side when compared with other countries. The countries with the highest death rates are the European countries hit early by the virus before medicine had figured out treatments and Sweden who did their own approach staying open.

10 hours ago, Irish Cat said:

With India's global location this does map to the Vit-D research. 

https://www.ajicjournal.org/article/S0196-6553(20)30574-5/fulltext

"The current study is the first to document a statistically significant correlation between a country's latitude and its COVID-19 mortality. The highly significant probability ( P < .0001) that countries proximal to the equator have lower COVID-19 fatalities than distal countries supports a probable connection between latitude, sunlight exposure, Vitamin D, and COVID-19 fatality. The most probable explanation for the correlation found between latitude and COVID-19 deaths is the mechanism of Vitamin D induced by sunlight exposure."

Also, remember where Italy's hotspot was - up in the northern areas near Switzerland - in winter.  Not on the coastlines. 

Look at who suffers in the US.  The older and elder who do not get outside much.  The kids, even with their x-box addictions are getting out, and drinking their milk, etc.  And the impact of Corna is nearly nil on the very young. 

I know this is redundant.  But you take independent data points and if you fit the curve to those points and things emerge.  Vitamin-D as key combatant to this virus (and probably all infections) comes up time and time again. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

With India's global location this does map to the Vit-D research. 

https://www.ajicjournal.org/article/S0196-6553(20)30574-5/fulltext

"The current study is the first to document a statistically significant correlation between a country's latitude and its COVID-19 mortality. The highly significant probability ( P < .0001) that countries proximal to the equator have lower COVID-19 fatalities than distal countries supports a probable connection between latitude, sunlight exposure, Vitamin D, and COVID-19 fatality. The most probable explanation for the correlation found between latitude and COVID-19 deaths is the mechanism of Vitamin D induced by sunlight exposure."

Also, remember where Italy's hotspot was - up in the northern areas near Switzerland - in winter.  Not on the coastlines. 

Look at who suffers in the US.  The older and elder who do not get outside much.  The kids, even with their x-box addictions are getting out, and drinking their milk, etc.  And the impact of Corna is nearly nil on the very young. 

I know this is redundant.  But you take independent data points and if you fit the curve to those points and things emerge.  Vitamin-D as key combatant to this virus (and probably all infections) comes up time and time again. 

Why the large outbreaks in the sunny southern states in the US?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Why the large outbreaks in the sunny southern states in the US?

My gut feel is imported by all the "northerners" who broke out of lock-down in June with a vengeance.  Especially the young people who will do the bar thing at night.  We did HHI in June and the beach houses were all occupied by people from Chicago, NJ, Mass - previous hotspots. 

13 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

My gut feel is imported by all the "northerners" who broke out of lock-down in June with a vengeance.  Especially the young people who will do the bar thing at night.  We did HHI in June and the beach houses were all occupied by people from Chicago, NJ, Mass - previous hotspots. 

So northerners brought it en mass into states like Tennesse, Mississippi, Louisana, etc too?  Places that are running high rates than previously before. And even if they brought it, shouldn't the sun have knocked it out anyway? And if outsiders are bringing this in, doesn't this support policies like lockdowns, and masks to keep the virus "where it is"?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Wouldn't the sun and vitamin D protect people from the virus?

44 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Wouldn't that mean the numbers would be higher in the northern states, as those people returned to their homes? 

I feel like Big Cat had a not so terrible idea, what if we had a pill that would put us all asleep for 2 weeks. Everyone would have to take it at the exact same time. Obviously it’s a joke, but if it was real, I would absolutely take it. 2 weeks of sleep sounds amazing. Eradicating Covid would be a bonus at that point. 😂

3 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Wouldn't the sun and vitamin D protect people from the virus?

Takes more than a week to build up.  And Vitamin-D seems to be key to fight the infection more than preventing or protecting from it.  

But like I said this was "gut feel" after seeing one vacation spot. 

3 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Wouldn't that mean the numbers would be higher in the northern states, as those people returned to their homes? 

Already higher numbers there. 

Something brought up on this was that people have returned indoors as it has gotten hotter.  But do not really have anything to back anything as to the "source" of the uptick in some states.  I heard Idaho was hotspot today.  Idaho?