Louisville NOT Bidding the State Finals for Next Season

EKUAlum05

That's fine for the first game but a natural surface field in Dec would be absolutely destroyed after only a couple of games.

Bingo. Saying football should be played in the mud is fine until your team has to play in it. Why unnecessarily let the elements decide the outcome of a championship game. There's nothing the KHSAA can do about the weather; they can do something about the playing surface.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think any one can logically argue that BG is probably farther away for most of the teams participating year in and year out in the championships. But the important fact here is that Louisville and UL did not submit a bid because they could not guarantee access to PJ for the needed dates for the two years in the bid package. Its that blooming simple. What's the KHSAA to do, force Louisville/UL to hold the championships? And even if the KHSAA decided to wait until the Big East schedule came out in January or whenever it comes out, as I understand it, ESPN has broadcasting right for the Big East games and they don't firm up what games they'll broadcast and what nights the games will be played until even later than the game schedule is set. So lets assume the Big East schedule has UL hosting a home game on December 5. 2009 (a Saturday), the KHSAA would have to play the championship games Thursday and Friday, which would be a problem for some, but "doable", although per ESPN rules, they have to have full and complete control of the stadium 24 hours prior to the game. Assuming the UL game was Saturday night, playing Thursday and Friday could probably work. But lets assume ESPN tells the Big East that they want the game to be played Friday night. Then what do you do, play some games Thursday, completely vacate and breakdown the KHSAA set up and then re set everything up after the UL game Friday night so you are ready to play three games on Saturday? That would be not only a logistical mess (if even possible) for the KHSAA, it would be extremely disruptive and expensive. Think of the fans that want to come down and watch all 6 games that will now have to get hotels for another night. Honestly, a Louisville/UL location just doesn't work and when you have another option being pitched from a community and school that has bent over backwards to accomodate the KHSAA on the girls BBall championships and has put together a good bid, even though it might be a farther drive for most teams and their fans, you go with the BG proposal.

How has it managed to work the past 29 years when it's been held in Louisville? I understand tv was not an issue for most of those years, but scheduling was.

Bingo. Saying football should be played in the mud is fine until your team has to play in it. Why unnecessarily let the elements decide the outcome of a championship game. There's nothing the KHSAA can do about the weather; they can do something about the playing surface.

Exactly. Until about 2 years ago, West Virginia played several championships in Wheeling. On grass. Wheeling has since gotten turf and still hosts the games. But I watched some of the games on TV before turf, and it was just terrible. Mud, no way to see numbers after one play, slipping, falling. Just rotten conditions, due to bad weather. Of course even playoff games can be like that too, and can determine who gets to the big game. But the championships should be held to higher quality.

Gee, LN, what in the world did we do back in the day when there were no artificial fields?

If Papa John's is not available...The only place in Louisville is the old Fairgrounds. (Is it even still playable?). If so do we really want to go back there? Kentucky, EKU and Georgetown has grass fields so that takes them out. That leaves Morehead, Murray State, and Western. Unless you go to a high school field like a Dunbar. So which place of the 3 is the best? More central located? Western is the only option IMO. If Papa John's is not available, where does everyone suggest the games be played. Untill someone can come up with a better option it has to be WKU.

Some people on the west side of the state don't consider Bowling Green as western Kentucky ...

I understood that... that's why I wrote what I did.

Bowling Green is far more in western KY than Richmond is in eastern KY. Look at a map.

:sssh:

According to Mapquest, Bowling Green is only about 50 miles farther away than Louisville from the Belfry area.

I just drove to Bowling Green 2 weeks ago. And...my in-laws live in Louisville. The drive is 1 1/2 hour longer to Bowling Green.

The stadium and town...I have NO problem with. It's a gorgeous facility and nice city.

I really don't understand the big fuss.

It's another year for the high school championships and we are privileged to get to watch it, IMO. Nothing is better than that weekend, I don't care where it is played.

If this move upsets you then you are just looking for something to complain about. Try looking for the silver lining and enjoying life and don't sweat the small stuff.

LOL...I'm not complaining.

I was just a little put out at the Louisvillians and some NKYians belly-aching about being in a car 90 minutes and the WKY people claiming Bowling Green is close to "central KY".

Bottom line... the game MUST be at WKU. That's really all that matters.

:thumb: About an extra hour. Not that big of a deal.

Except with my posse that means 2 pee breaks and probably another meal. :lol:

It's about another hour and a half, realistically. So, build in another pee break, and you might want to pack some lunchables. :D Of course, if you don't mind driving a little out of the way, and taking the "scenic" route, I'm sure I can get my mom to cook up a really good meal for you guys in Leitchfield. :D

Thinking about this, I really, REALLy don't mind it being at WKU. Why?

It would bring fresh interest to the Finals.

It would possibly do a lot to raise the level of interest in WKY schools in footall.

The stadium is smaller, and would feel less "empty", yet still feel like a big stage.

Bowling Green is a nice town, too.

Hotel accommodations...The Executive West and Inn have housed a lot of teams and fans for the games. Well, next year, there will be no Execuitve West or Inn. One is being torn down, and the other is now under renovation and will become Louisville's first Crowne Plaza Hotel. Rates will go up.

... Of course, if you don't mind driving a little out of the way, and taking the "scenic" route, I'm sure I can get my mom to cook up a really good meal for you guys in Leitchfield. :D

My, my...it's a small world.

My wife's father grew up in Caneyville. There used to be quite a BB rivalry between Leitchfield, Caneyville, and Clarkson as he tells me.

Loved Pine Knob... !!!

:thumb:

So of the 12 finals participants last year, Bowling Green is a greater distance for 9 of them or 75%, right?

Yep, that's correct. I'm obviously for the move to WKU, but I felt like if the distance is the main discussion, that I'd post some objective numbers.

Of course, as others have subsequently pointed out, that's not really the issue. I feel that if Papa John's were available, there'd be no doubt about where it would be played. It's worked in Louisville, it's better for more of the teams in the state, and it's a bigger facility although some mark that as a con. But unfortunately it's not available, and so that really ends the discussion.