Louisville NOT Bidding the State Finals for Next Season

EKUAlum05

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this stinks, but obviously I can't do anything about it.

What about the Eastern KY teams?

Belfry has won a few state championships in recent years and was runner-up in 2007.

While the miles (as the bird flies) from South Williamson to Bowling Green is about 280 miles, the drive would take approximately 5 hours if they were to go non-stop.

Ya that is why BG is a bad idea. That would be like telling poeple in Mayfield to drive to Morehead to play for the state title.:ylsuper:

Well, I'm sure if Morehead, EKU, etc... would be in the running for the state title games if they had the proper facilities. Unfortuantely, WKU is the only other stadium in the Commonwealth that can hold the state championships other then UL.

Until Eastern Kentucky or Northern Kentucky or Central Kentucky get a 20,000 seat stadium with Turf other than Grass... then go for the bid! Until then, back off!

Or better yet! Let's just cancel Football season until Papa Johns is available again. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

I think this stinks, but obviously I can't do anything about it.

What about the Eastern KY teams?

Belfry has won a few state championships in recent years and was runner-up in 2007.

While the miles (as the bird flies) from South Williamson to Bowling Green is about 280 miles, the drive would take approximately 5 hours if they were to go non-stop.

According to Mapquest, Bowling Green is only about 50 miles farther away than Louisville from the Belfry area.

According to Mapquest, Bowling Green is only about 50 miles farther away than Louisville from the Belfry area.

:thumb: About an extra hour. Not that big of a deal.

Except with my posse that means 2 pee breaks and probably another meal. :lol:

I really don't understand the big fuss.

It's another year for the high school championships and we are privileged to get to watch it, IMO. Nothing is better than that weekend, I don't care where it is played.

If this move upsets you then you are just looking for something to complain about. Try looking for the silver lining and enjoying life and don't sweat the small stuff.

It's another year for the high school championships and we are privileged to get to watch it, IMO. Nothing is better than that weekend, I don't care where it is played.

If this move upsets you then you are just looking for something to complain about. Try looking for the silver lining and enjoying life and don't sweat the small stuff.

Exactly. The thing is, Bowling Green isn't all that much closer to us in the far west than Louisville is ... about an hour.

Well, I'm sure if Morehead, EKU, etc... would be in the running for the state title games if they had the proper facilities. Unfortuantely, WKU is the only other stadium in the Commonwealth that can hold the state championships other then UL.

Until Eastern Kentucky or Northern Kentucky or Central Kentucky get a 20,000 seat stadium with Turf other than Grass... then go for the bid! Until then, back off!

Or better yet! Let's just cancel Football season until Papa Johns is available again. :rolleyes:

Well, I guess that works out for you at Glasgow right!:jump:

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

I guess if the main gripe is the drive, then it appears Bowling Green will make a fine host. No griping on the facilities, availibility of hotel rooms, etc.

I think the KHSAA will mind listening to some people griping about driving distance as opposed to playing field or hotel rooms.

I honestly can not think a valid reason why WKU would not be a good choice. I have been to events at WKU before and the campus is very nice. I think WKU is as a good of a choice as any other possible option.

Here are the teams that made the finals last year, and their respective distances to WKU & Papa John's (Louisville schools and BGHS omitted for obvious reasons):

1A

-Beechwood High School

--WKU (3 hours 16 minutes, 207.34 miles)

--UL (1 hour 34 minutes, 97.58 miles)

-Lexington Christian Academy

--WKU (2 hours 26 minutes, 154.94 miles)

--UL (1 hour 25 minutes, 79.50 miles)

2A

-Fort Campbell High School

--WKU (1 hour 25 minutes, 73.30 miles)

--UL (2 hours 53 minutes, 182.63 miles)

-Newport Central Catholic High School

--WKU (3 hours 26 minutes, 215.93 miles)

--UL (1 hour 43 minutes, 106.18 miles)

3A

-Belfry

--WKU (5 hours 19 minutes, 281.19 miles)

--UL (4 hours, 236.50 miles)

4A

-Lexington Catholic High School

--WKU (3 hours 3 minutes, 148.29 miles)

--UL (1 hour 23 minutes, 77.24 miles)

-Lone Oak High School

--WKU (2 hours 34 minutes, 138.10 miles)

--UL (3 hours 17 minutes, 215.84 miles)

5A

-Fort Thomas Highlands High School

--WKU (3 hours 34 minutes, 213.99 miles)

--UL (1 hour 46 minutes, 106.49 miles)