Louisville NOT Bidding the State Finals for Next Season

EKUAlum05

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hopefully, the KHSAA will choose to move it at the first opportunity.

Unless ESPN gives up the Big East TV contract, Commonwealth Stadium gets field turf, or the finals are moved to Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, the KHSAA will have no choice but to keep it in Bowling Green.

Frankly, it blows my mind that you would think that way about people. It has nothing to do with whining or being spoiled. It's about what's right for the championships and what's most fair to the greatest number of people. You mention staying several days and watching all the games. Sure, under those circumstances it wouldn't be too big of a deal. But for some people, an overnight stay isn't a realistic option.

No one is disputing the fact that the games have to move to WKU temporarily. It can't be avoided. But to say it's a better venue or location than Louisville and Papa John's is just preposterous.

Not really sure what you mean by the comment about what I think about people?

My habits (staying overnight and watching all the games) is more common than you might think. Lots of people come for the whole event every year and they come from all corners of the Commonwealth to do it.

But, even if I didn't go every year, I would go if my team made it to the championship. And I would drive the extra miles to do it with glee. Making it to the championship is so special that to me it is preposterous to complain about something so far removed from the issue at hand as travel.

Like I said before, driving 3 hours, watching a game, and then driving home again in the same day is very doable. We used to do it routinely for DISTRICT games. Overnight stay is not a big concern for NKY and LOU residents unless they want to make it one. And my school runs fan busses that you can ride for peanuts, see the game and return home safely. I'm sure some of the other schools involved could adopt that idea to help out.

No matter where it is played some people will have to travel further than others, no way to avoid it. Where was the outcry of concern in the past when it was somebody else doing the traveling? Right, it was silent.

I never called WKU a better venue. I haven't even been there yet to judge it, but I will say it will have to be pretty outstanding to beat PJCS. I think PJCS is a near perfect venue, but it isn't the ONLY venue. And since it is the venue we have, I'm going to embrace it and enjoy it. Its much healthier for me that way. :D

As I said before...this stuff is easy for me and you to live with and do. Others teams/schools/fans/students...easier said than done.

I go regardless. It just means that I have to drive a little further. No biggie.

If I, who have no rooting interest, can make it, I don't see how this is a problem for people with a rooting interest. If your (not you personally, of course) team's that important to you, you go to support them no matter where the championships are played.

If nothing else, this will separate the true diehards from the ones who just go because it might be convenient.

My habits (staying overnight and watching all the games) is more common than you might think. Lots of people come for the whole event every year and they come from all corners of the Commonwealth to do it.

But, even if I didn't go every year, I would go if my team made it to the championship. And I would drive the extra miles to do it with glee. Making it to the championship is so special that to me it is preposterous to complain about something so far removed from the issue at hand as travel.

Like I said before, driving 3 hours, watching a game, and then driving home again in the same day is very doable. We used to do it routinely for DISTRICT games. Overnight stay is not a big concern for NKY and LOU residents unless they want to make it one. And my school runs fan busses that you can ride for peanuts, see the game and return home safely. I'm sure some of the other schools involved could adopt that idea to help out.

No matter where it is played some people will have to travel further than others, no way to avoid it. Where was the outcry of concern in the past when it was somebody else doing the traveling? Right, it was silent.

I never called WKU a better venue. I haven't even been there yet to judge it, but I will say it will have to be pretty outstanding to beat PJCS. I think PJCS is a near perfect venue, but it isn't the ONLY venue. And since it is the venue we have, I'm going to embrace it and enjoy it. Its much healthier for me that way. :D

BTW, if you have to drive another 100 miles, how much more is it really going to cost you? At 20 miles to the gallon, that's 5 gallons each way or about $40 round trip.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I think you hit the nail on the head Watusi.

Most of the complaining about drive time is coming from fans in Louisville and NKY who rarely travel more than 30 minutes for a road game.

People in other parts of the state who don't mind the finals moving are already making 1-2 hour drives just to play district games. Any added drive time doesn't matter to them.

There are some places that just aren't accustomed to making long road trips.

I think you hit the nail on the head Watusi.

Most of the complaining about drive time is coming from fans in Louisville and NKY who rarely travel more than 30 minutes for a road game.

People in other parts of the state who don't mind the finals moving are already making 1-2 hour drives just to play district games. Any added drive time doesn't matter to them.

There are some places that just aren't accustomed to making long road trips.

Go ahead. You can say it. Spoiled cake-eaters. :sssh: :D

BF old buddy, I've got you and RTS figured out. I just can't believe I had to take a break to go do the dishes before something so obvious hit me like a ton of bricks.

Your pleas for "fairness" aren't entirely altruistic. The real motive under your protestations is the prospect of facing the Purples in their own back yard, with the Bluebirds at a decided home field disadvantage. You just didn't want to admit the possibility of losing to BGHS worried you. :sssh: :D

Your pleas for "fairness" aren't entirely altruistic. The real motive under your protestations is the prospect of facing the Purples in their own back yard, with the Bluebirds at a decided home field disadvantage. You just didn't want to admit the possibility of losing to BGHS worried you. :sssh: :D

That's bull. No Highlands fan worth his/her salt would object to seeing the Birds play anyone in the state, anywhere in the state. Choose another shovel.

Dang...you caught us! It was all just fear of the Purple Juggernaut. :D