Louisville NOT Bidding the State Finals for Next Season

EKUAlum05

Gee, LN, what in the world did we do back in the day when there were no artificial fields?

Obviously they played on grass. There's a lot of things they did back in the old days before better advances came around. You advocating we use slide rules instead of calculators? Outhouses instead of indoor plumbing?

It CAN be played on grass, but if a suitable surface exists, they're going to be going there.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously they played on grass. There's a lot of things they did back in the old days before better advances came around. You advocating we use slide rules instead of calculators? Outhouses instead of indoor plumbing?

It CAN be played on grass, but if a suitable surface exists, they're going to be going there.

On that note, why wear helmets? I worked back in the day. Another consideration for turf fields is that we now have 6 games whereas when the finals have never had more than 4 games on grass.

I'm curious if you Highlands supporters in this thread griping about driving to Bowling Green are also raking the HHS administration over the coals for scheduling a game at Hopkinsville. I've not read the current prediction thread, but I would guess there's at least twice that much griping going on, as Hopkinsville is a good hour to an hour and a half longer a trip than BG is.

I'm curious if you Highlands supporters in this thread griping about driving to Bowling Green are also raking the HHS administration over the coals for scheduling a game at Hopkinsville. I've not read the current prediction thread, but I would guess there's at least twice that much griping going on, as Hopkinsville is a good hour to an hour and a half longer a trip than BG is.
Apples and oranges. A regular season game is not on the same planet as a state championship game.

Apples and oranges. A regular season game is not on the same planet as a state championship game.

Indeed. It's the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP. If you're a real fan, it shouldn't matter if they're playing it in Mexico.

For any Louisville-area fans to be complaining is even more ridiculous, BTW. It's been in your freakin' back yard for decades. Gas up the vehicle once in a while, like the rest of the state has to.

It's unbelievable the amount of whining over this issue ... an issue that shouldn't be an issue at all. :rolleyes:

Indeed. It's the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP. If you're a real fan, it shouldn't matter if they're playing it in Mexico.

For any Louisville-area fans to be complaining is even more ridiculous, BTW. It's been in your freakin' back yard for decades. Gas up the vehicle once in a while, like the rest of the state has to.

It's unbelievable the amount of whining over this issue ... an issue that shouldn't be an issue at all. :rolleyes:

100% :thumb:

I'd much rater see it at EKU instead of WKU, it's more centrally located, which only makes sense. WKU is flat out a stupid idea IMO, I've always thought the state game should be played as close to Lexington as possible.

Why should the finals be played as close to Lexington as possible?

Gas is gas and time is time isn't it? At least thats the greatest complaint folks have had. What makes gas and time more valuable during the state championship?

Lets face it folks. People are jealous that the finals could possibly be coming to WKU. Thats the bottom line here IMO.

And yes it is convenient for me being from Glasgow. But if the State Championship games were played in Belfry, I'd still haul up and head out! Road Trip!! :ylsuper:

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

If this move upsets you then you are just looking for something to complain about. Try looking for the silver lining and enjoying life and don't sweat the small stuff.

Wow! Do you honestly think that?! :eek:

Some may enjoy enormously expensive and time consuming drives, but most people do not.

I not only honestly think that, I wholeheartedly and enthusiastically believe every singe word. :thumb:

Since the early 90s (missing a year or two) I have driven the 4 hours (used to be nearly 5) to Louisville every year, stayed in a hotel 2 nights, and watched every single game. I loved every minute of it and didn't give a crap about the drive.

Heck, we used to have DISTRICT games that involved 3 hour drives, at one time we had Knott Co, Clay Co and Leslie Co in our DISTRICT.

Now we have this situation where Louisville and Papa Johns is not available even though many of us wish it were because in many ways it is the perfect venue. Wish as we might, there is nothing we can do about it. It isn't available and there is no viable option other than WKU.

And the fans who have never had to travel at all, or who have only had to travel an hour and a half for many many years, are complaining about an additional hour and a half. It just blows my mind.

:thumb: Exactly.

I think a lot of people have gotten spoiled not only by success but by the spoils of the spoils.

I don't understand why people can't grasp this situation. The KHSAA has to have the dates set well in advance in order to secure sponsorships, facility reservation, and for scheduling purposes.

Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium is for the University of Louisville. Not the KHSAA. Louisville has dibs. And the Big East and ESPN determines scheduling, which isn't done until the summer.

The KHSAA has had dismal numbers when they experimented with a Thursday final.

A natural surface can't withstand six games in two days in the winter.

Louisville decided not to bid for the finals. The KHSAA did not jerk the finals out of Louisville.

Bowling Green has a college-ready facility with field turf, adequate seating, adequate locker rooms, and new boxes.

Bowling Green wants to host the finals.

Bowling Green IS THE ONLY CITY TO SUBMIT A BID.

For those of you who are suggesting the KHSAA move the finals to EKU, Morehead, or Lexington, please re-read the above -- especially the bolded part. If you still think the finals should be held in a city that has stadiums with no field turf and that did not submit a bid over a city with a field turf stadium that wants the finals, then your purpose in this thread is to argue for the sake of arguing.

As far as the driving distance goes, the half of the state that benefitted from a short distance the past 29 years will now become that other half that didn't benefit much from the past 29 years.

And for the last time, Louisville opted not to bid. The KHSAA didn't look elsewhere until it became obvious Louisville wasn't going to host.