Louisville NOT Bidding the State Finals for Next Season

EKUAlum05

Are they closed currently? Why wouldn't they be OPEN?

The Executive Inn is being closed and razed. The Executive West is being renovated, and will become a Crowne Plaza Hotel. I know that the renovation is almost complete. I don't know the exact date, but it appears Executive Inn will be closing for good 12/7/08, right after the RVIA show concludes. The Executive West is listed on the Crowne Plaza site, but shows no availability. However, I don't think they "officialy" are a Crowne Plaza until January 1.

Here's their number if you want to see if they'll be open that weekend. (502) 367-2251

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Executive Inn is being closed and razed. The Executive West is being renovated, and will become a Crowne Plaza Hotel. I know that the renovation is almost complete. I don't know the exact date, but it appears Executive Inn will be closing for good 12/7/08, right after the RVIA show concludes. The Executive West is listed on the Crowne Plaza site, but shows no availability. However, I don't think they "officialy" are a Crowne Plaza until January 1.

Here's their number if you want to see if they'll be open that weekend. (502) 367-2251

Well this is a SHOCKER, I hate to hear that the West is changing, so many memories, at least 18 years of them and over 100 visits. I loved the atmosphere of the old wood, I guess the new renovations will be gutting it all and replacing it with newer materials, what a shame. R.I.P. West. I never like the Inn myself.

I look at it this way, I know many people who would travel all the way from Iraq and Afghanistan just to see their boys play in the State Finals again. If only they could. Funny you don't see any of them on this posting crying about traveling to a game!!! Life could be so worse. Try only being able to listen to your son's game from the confines of a computer radio station, praying that the link will not be lost. So quit crying, let's just play ball folks!

Then when you come off as this is the worst thing since the great depression birdsfan, then you give the impression that those are better than everyone else. Thats why you have people calling you out to explain the posts you have yet to address.
I have nothing to address. But I can't allow you put words in my mouth. Let's get this straightened out.

When this thread began the location decision was still up in the air. That's why there was a debate here. My comments have always been in that light. But now that it is a set deal, nobody is saying anything about it being the end of the world or that the decision should be changed.

What we're saying is that Bowling Green is not a better or more convenient location for the state finals. Therefore, we believe that the finals should go back to Louisville AFTER that site becomes available once again.

Everyone keeps painting me as a whiner because I've continued to support my position. I don't see it as whining. I think the event should be held in a place that is most convenient for the greatest number of potential spectators. That would dictate that it be centrally located to the largest population centers. That's not whining...that's just good business.

And since everyone is confusing my passion for "whining," let me put all my cards on the table. Yes, this is a very personal issue for me. No, it isn't the end of the world; but it does effect me. I'm a fan of a team that has had a lot of success, and fought their way to the state finals many times. So it's fairly likely that, as a "Birds fan" I'll have an opportunity before long to watch this team, that I care so much for, in the state finals.

Now I've never been one to use my situation for any kind of sympathy. But since I'm being painted so negatively, I have to be honest about it. The truth is, I'm not in a position right now to drive myself around. That means I have to rely on family to get to events like this. My concern is that a 50% longer trip is going to reduce the chance that I'll be able to see the game in person. Also, for these same reasons (and others), staying overnight is not an option for me. So the two hours extra drive time really become a factor.

Yeah, it's personal for me; but I honestly believe that I'm not alone. For the record, I have been to state games at both WKU and EKU; but that was as a child. Beyond my own "selfish" concerns, I just don't see Bowling Green as the best site, for the practical business reasons I mentioned above.

So go ahead and call me a whiner. I do passionately support my team; and I wish every game was a home game. I wish they didn't have to play any games out of town. The closer the better. Yes, I'm whining about it...because I love to watch football, and I love to watch our team! And maybe I'm worried that Bowling Green will be just a little bit out of reach.

Okay, I'm done whining now.

3 wishes, I agree with you. I am destroyed that the Executive West will not be the same. I am 32 years old and I have been staying in the West for 26 years, and I feel that it is apart of my life. Soooo many memories. It is a very unique hotel with all the wood. If the finals stays in Louisville, to me, I don't know that it will be the same.

The main point I think most here want to make is that the fans from Northern Kentucky and Louisville are no better than everyone else that has not been as close as they have for all these years. Then when you come off as this is the worst thing since the great depression birdsfan, then you give the impression that those are better than everyone else. Thats why you have people calling you out to explain the posts you have yet to address.

The total attendance numbers for the 2009 and 2010 will be down for the 6 games if played in Bowling Green.

I understand this is not a done deal. Maybe there is still hope for Papa John's.

The total attendance numbers for the 2009 and 2010 will be down for the 6 games if played in Bowling Green.

I understand this is not a done deal. Maybe there is still hope for Papa John's.

That's built-in considering one of them is Trinity/St. X every year. Of course the all Louisville final in 6A will be down when having to travel. I'd be more interested in comparing the other five classes.

That's built-in considering one of them is Trinity/St. X every year. Of course the all Louisville final in 6A will be down when having to travel. I'd be more interested in comparing the other five classes.

I think a lot has to do with what team makes it to the finals. Some teams travel better than others. 1A thru 5A I think.....Western is do able to compete with the attendance from last year.

Attendance from last years State Championships.

1A 3792

2A 5679

3A 7619

4A 7603

5A 6231

The main point I think most here want to make is that the fans from Northern Kentucky and Louisville are no better than everyone else that has not been as close as they have for all these years. Then when you come off as this is the worst thing since the great depression birdsfan, then you give the impression that those are better than everyone else. Thats why you have people calling you out to explain the posts you have yet to address.

I don't have a problem with it being in Bowling Green...

but I do think we are better than everyone else.:D

I have nothing to address. But I can't allow you put words in my mouth. Let's get this straightened out.

When this thread began the location decision was still up in the air. That's why there was a debate here. My comments have always been in that light. But now that it is a set deal, nobody is saying anything about it being the end of the world or that the decision should be changed.

What we're saying is that Bowling Green is not a better or more convenient location for the state finals. Therefore, we believe that the finals should go back to Louisville AFTER that site becomes available once again.

Everyone keeps painting me as a whiner because I've continued to support my position. I don't see it as whining. I think the event should be held in a place that is most convenient for the greatest number of potential spectators. That would dictate that it be centrally located to the largest population centers. That's not whining...that's just good business.

And since everyone is confusing my passion for "whining," let me put all my cards on the table. Yes, this is a very personal issue for me. No, it isn't the end of the world; but it does effect me. I'm a fan of a team that has had a lot of success, and fought their way to the state finals many times. So it's fairly likely that, as a "Birds fan" I'll have an opportunity before long to watch this team, that I care so much for, in the state finals.

Now I've never been one to use my situation for any kind of sympathy. But since I'm being painted so negatively, I have to be honest about it. The truth is, I'm not in a position right now to drive myself around. That means I have to rely on family to get to events like this. My concern is that a 50% longer trip is going to reduce the chance that I'll be able to see the game in person. Also, for these same reasons (and others), staying overnight is not an option for me. So the two hours extra drive time really become a factor.

Yeah, it's personal for me; but I honestly believe that I'm not alone. For the record, I have been to state games at both WKU and EKU; but that was as a child. Beyond my own "selfish" concerns, I just don't see Bowling Green as the best site, for the practical business reasons I mentioned above.

So go ahead and call me a whiner. I do passionately support my team; and I wish every game was a home game. I wish they didn't have to play any games out of town. The closer the better. Yes, I'm whining about it...because I love to watch football, and I love to watch our team! And maybe I'm worried that Bowling Green will be just a little bit out of reach.

Okay, I'm done whining now.

If there's ever anything I can do to get you to a game, I'd be more than happy to oblige. You know how to spell my name and I'm in the book. You know most of the trash that I hang out with, so at least you wouldn't be with strangers.

Strange, maybe, but not strangers. ;)

First, let me start by saying that I mean no disrespect to Birdsfan or the situation you are in, but rather just stating my opinion. I think there are many fans of many teams that are in that situation. Could you imagine a Die Hard Ft Campbell fan last in that same boat who is thinking that same thought, only to see that this year it is 2 hours closer? What if it had been at WKU last year and then they would have gotten to see there team win, what was obvious a huge win for that team and city. Empathy is something everone should have, so I guess the move will be personal to the positive for them.

What is personal for me, I am glad to see another KY University rise up and get noticed. I have a feeling that the state finals will have a personal feel this year. I have been a few times in the last several years and have noticed the impersonal feel at Papa Johns'. Coach Elson and his staff, as well as the personnel at WKU will make ths a great experience for all in attendance. Plus I think the crowds will enjoy the new stadium too.

Where will everyone sleep? Maysville has more hotel rooms than Morehead I believe.

Somewhere in Fort Thomas, theres a proposal being put together to host.:p

Yeah, PBS would be a great venue! But that would be blasphemy, now wouldn't it? ;) For the record, we left home at 5:30 this morning, and passed Bowling Green at 9:15.

Yeah, PBS would be a great venue! But that would be blasphemy, now wouldn't it? ;) For the record, we left home at 5:30 this morning, and passed Bowling Green at 9:15.

I know your kidding... but if I remember correctly... PBS is across the river right? Wouldn't that cancel it out?

I wouldn't mind playing in a venue like PBS... But if crowds already look small at Papa Johns... I could only imagine what it'd look like at Paul Brown!:eek:

I have gotten up at 5:30 on 5 different occassions and arrived in Louisville 3 1/2 hours later for the state finals... plus I had to factor in the time change :D You get an extra hour of sleep than most of us ;)