Christmas Games on Netflix

NFL signed a 3 year deal with the streaming service to stream games on Christmas Day. Two games this year will be streamed, Texans/Ravens and Chiefs/Steelers.

Netflix will pay around $150,000,000 per game.

2 minutes ago, bugatti said:

Can't decide if the NFL or Netflix is a bigger machine. $150M/game is bonkers.

I know right, I can't believe that figure, wow!  With that said, Netflix quit allowing multiple people to use one account and it looks like profits are way up.  From Google:

The streaming giant said it added 9.3 million customers in the first quarter, bringing its total number of subscribers to almost 270 million. The company also said its profits in the first quarter jumped to more than $2.3bn (£1.85bn). But the firm will stop reporting key subscriber numbers from next year. Apr 19, 2024.

10 minutes ago, theguru said:

I know right, I can't believe that figure, wow!  With that said, Netflix quit allowing multiple people to use one account and it looks like profits are way up.  From Google:

The streaming giant said it added 9.3 million customers in the first quarter, bringing its total number of subscribers to almost 270 million. The company also said its profits in the first quarter jumped to more than $2.3bn (£1.85bn). But the firm will stop reporting key subscriber numbers from next year. Apr 19, 2024.

Machine.

Netflix has cornered the international market, where they are seeing their big gains.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bugatti said:

Machine.

Netflix has cornered the international market, where they are seeing their big gains.

Yeah, in my opinion network and cable programming in the US has really dropped off over the last 5-10 years. But Netflix has thrived with their own originals during that same period. Coupled with the fact that most other countries don't have a fraction of the cable and network content that the US does and the international success is a no brainer.

17 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Muscling in on the NBA's racket.   Are we about to see a major sports turf war?

The NFL owns any day of the year it wants. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bugatti said:

The NFL owns any day of the year it wants. 

Yep. It comes down to the fact that there are meaningful games in the NFL every single week. Outside of a few teams at the end of the regular season that have already clinched their spot, there are several big games to watch. Stars players don't sit (unless they are hurt), and so many games have playoff impact. No other sport has the urgency during the regular season that the NFL has, so each game is truly an event. The other sports leagues with a high number of games, load management for star players and the shear length of the season just doesn't allow the regular season to have the same impact and watchability that the NFL has.

5 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

Yep. It comes down to the fact that there are meaningful games in the NFL every single week. Outside of a few teams at the end of the regular season that have already clinched their spot, there are several big games to watch. Stars players don't sit (unless they are hurt), and so many games have playoff impact. No other sport has the urgency during the regular season that the NFL has, so each game is truly an event. The other sports leagues with a high number of games, load management for star players and the shear length of the season just doesn't allow the regular season to have the same impact and watchability that the NFL has.

NBA or NFL...I'll be the square spending time with my kids.   LOL

On 5/18/2024 at 10:39 PM, Tranquility Base said:

NBA or NFL...I'll be the square spending time with my kids.   LOL

My kids bolt to in-laws in the afternoon, wife usually takes a huge nap. Unless Santa comes through with a PS5 and EA College Football, I'll be parked in front of the TV watching football all afternoon. 

EA College Football > NFL > Christmas Story on TBS > NBA