Louisville NOT Bidding the State Finals for Next Season

EKUAlum05

Surprised noone has posted this considering all the debate the thread caused when BG announced they were bidding for the State Finals.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080928/SPORTS05/809280553/1031

As of right now, BG is only city bidding for the State Finals. PJCS/UL could not assure that the venue would be available and thus the city has deferred.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bowling green seems like such poor location to have this, but hopefully it will work out. I still think Lexington L-ville would be best in a rotating fashion like it use to be in most Kentucky sports.

There isn't a field in Lexington to have it. Commonwealth will not hold up to 6 games in 2 days. I still don't understand why all the negativity about Bowling Green hosting. It isn't that much further for eastern teams and is closer for western teams. The NKY, Louisville Metro, & Lexington folks are the ones this will affect the most. However it is one year.

It sounded like the KHSAA refused to accept Thursday as an alternate day to Saturday if UL was scheduled to play at home. Tacket said the Thursday games were unpopular and that attendance was down. Does anyone have the numbers on how attendance compared in 07 to years past? Personally, I thought the Thursday games were great. I attended and was neither an alumni or parent of any of the participating schools. It was the only show in town. Saturday games in Bowling Green may have fans like me(parents and ardent supporters will there regardless of when and where the game is played) torn between going to Papa John's or Commonwealth, sitting in front of the TV to watch good college games or traveling 4 hours roundtrip to watch good high school football. My prediction is that attendance in Bowling Green will be down compared to Louisville in 07.

There isn't a field in Lexington to have it. Commonwealth will not hold up to 6 games in 2 days. I still don't understand why all the negativity about Bowling Green hosting. It isn't that much further for eastern teams and is closer for western teams. The NKY, Louisville Metro, & Lexington folks are the ones this will affect the most. However it is one year.

Change is often good...I'm sure BG will be a great host town. I'm just not convinced that attendance will be better served by playing there on Saturdays. I'm also not convinced it will be just "one year". I think if attendance is decent BG will keep this for a good while...at least until Bellarmine start a football program and has a synthetic turf stadium large enough to host it.

Edited by Park1221

After thread after thread after thread on this subject, why can't people understand:

• The University of Louisville gets first dibs on the stadium because it was built for THEM, not the high school playoffs
  • Until they put down artificial turf at Commonwealth Stadium, Lexington is not an option.
  • The KHSAA can't schedule the finals when they don't know the Louisville football schedule
  • Someone is going to be inconvenienced by a further drive with it being held in Bowling Green. It's just a different set of people now.
  • EKU won't host it. See Lexington above.

It's a little bit extra to drive, but aside from that I don't know what anyone could complain about. Bowling Green should make a great site for the football finals. Louisville is just closer to NKY. They sure haven't gone out of their way to distinguish themselves as a host city in my experience. I was at Western two years ago with my daughter for a state speech tournament, and was more than a little impressed with the campus. I'm looking forward to being there, (if the Birds will accomodate me, that is.)

An added plus is that Bowling Green is one of those rare places where you can have a Krystal and White Castle across the street from each other.:dancingpa It just doesn't get any better for the post-game meal.

I think that the KHSAA will notice that attendance will be down, and then that will dictate where it goes from here. Now, as far as the finals are concerned if Trinity is in it, I will be there, spending the night.

How big of a money maker is the state football finals for the KHSAA?

Unless I have been watching something different the past 15 years, the attendance has never been anything to brag about for the state finals.

I really think we are talking about the difference in a small number when it is all said and done.

In the 2007-08 school year, boys’ basketball generated more than $1.7 million in revenue, or 42% of all KHSAA revenue. After expenses, boys’ hoops netted $1.2 million.

The second-most profitable sport was football, which generated $235,658 after expenses. Girls’ basketball, which includes the Sweet Sixteen in Bowling Green, was next. It had revenues of $338,786, and $197,295 was left in the coffers after expenses.

MIKE FIELDS' BLOG