Louisville NOT Bidding the State Finals for Next Season

EKUAlum05

Here are the teams that made the finals last year, and their respective distances to WKU & Papa John's (Louisville schools and BGHS omitted for obvious reasons):

So of the 12 finals participants last year, Bowling Green is a greater distance for 9 of them or 75%, right?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly can not think a valid reason why WKU would not be a good choice. I have been to events at WKU before and the campus is very nice. I think WKU is as a good of a choice as any other possible option.

I can't think of a valid reason either. Other than I'm an EKU grad!

If this move upsets you then you are just looking for something to complain about. Try looking for the silver lining and enjoying life and don't sweat the small stuff.

Wow! Do you honestly think that?! :eek:

Some may enjoy enormously expensive and time consuming drives, but most people do not.

Edited by Birdsfan

So of the 12 finals participants last year, Bowling Green is a greater distance for 9 of them or 75%, right?
You beat me to it. :D

Yeah, the numbers pretty much speak for themselves. :thumb:

Those nine teams would have to travel a combined 849.54 additional miles!

Edited by Birdsfan

I just went back and looked at the last 5 State Finals participants.

2007, Bowling Green is a greater distance for 9 of 12.

2006, Bowling Green is a greater distance for 7 of 8.

2005, Bowling Green is a greater distance for 5 of 8.

2004, Bowling Green is a greater distance for 7 of 8.

2003, Bowling Green is a greater distance for 8 of 8.

2002, Louisville is greater distance for 4 of 8 teams.

2002, Louisville is greater distance for 4 of 8 teams.

Okay. Did you check out 2001, 2000, etc.?

So in the past 6 years, Bowling Green has never been a shorter drive for a majority of teams in the Finals. :confused:

I think the "about the same distance" argument has been debunked.

I don't think any one can logically argue that BG is probably farther away for most of the teams participating year in and year out in the championships. But the important fact here is that Louisville and UL did not submit a bid because they could not guarantee access to PJ for the needed dates for the two years in the bid package. Its that blooming simple. What's the KHSAA to do, force Louisville/UL to hold the championships? And even if the KHSAA decided to wait until the Big East schedule came out in January or whenever it comes out, as I understand it, ESPN has broadcasting right for the Big East games and they don't firm up what games they'll broadcast and what nights the games will be played until even later than the game schedule is set. So lets assume the Big East schedule has UL hosting a home game on December 5. 2009 (a Saturday), the KHSAA would have to play the championship games Thursday and Friday, which would be a problem for some, but "doable", although per ESPN rules, they have to have full and complete control of the stadium 24 hours prior to the game. Assuming the UL game was Saturday night, playing Thursday and Friday could probably work. But lets assume ESPN tells the Big East that they want the game to be played Friday night. Then what do you do, play some games Thursday, completely vacate and breakdown the KHSAA set up and then re set everything up after the UL game Friday night so you are ready to play three games on Saturday? That would be not only a logistical mess (if even possible) for the KHSAA, it would be extremely disruptive and expensive. Think of the fans that want to come down and watch all 6 games that will now have to get hotels for another night. Honestly, a Louisville/UL location just doesn't work and when you have another option being pitched from a community and school that has bent over backwards to accomodate the KHSAA on the girls BBall championships and has put together a good bid, even though it might be a farther drive for most teams and their fans, you go with the BG proposal.