Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

leatherneck

Standard Membership
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by leatherneck

  1. Congrats David. Mercer got a great one and Mason lost a great one.
  2. Very, very sad news. I'm really bummed.
  3. Centre has a program in place with several engineering schools. Attend first 3 years at Centre and then attend two years with the affiliated engineering schools. When complete your son would have 2 degrees. Since I represent several engineering firms I can say this with extreme confidence: the 3 years spent at Centre would make him a much more complete and well rounded business person and engineer. See: Centre College | Engineering - Centre College
  4. I don't mean to be disrespectful but CovCath had an okay team in 09 but it wasn't great. At least it didn't look like a great CovCath team to me in the couple of games I saw them play (including the game against Highlands, and I feel comfortable saying I've watched that game tape as much as anyone). Don't think I saw LexCath in 09 but did see Ryle twice that year (Highlands played them twice). Ryle and CovCath were pretty close to one another but if I had to pick one over the other, I'd probably pick Ryle to be honest with you.
  5. Where's the buffoonery by Mearns?
  6. Yes it was.:thumb: Of course that squad had a lot more returning than just the 3 o linemen.
  7. Yeah, but if you could teach, the skills and knowledge that you picked up actually being an estimator and manager would be invaluable as you attempted to teach others. Teaching skills being equal, I'd much rather my teacher be someone that has actually done the task being taught to me. Which reminds me of an old saying about picking a lawyer: experience, age and treachery beats intelligence, youth and enthusiasm every time. :clap:
  8. I know nothing about this specific situation, but I wonder (and I'd like to know DragonFire's thoughts): did Feggins try to make too many major changes too fast? I've seen multiple head coaches come into a program and in their first year, make big changes. Changes that alienated players, parents, boosters and administrators if for the simple reason, he wanted to do things differently. If that coach can pull off some big wins that first season, he's golden. But if he can't, he immediately faces a lot of criticism. If he's not a "local guy" and he doesn't handle the criticism smartly, he's pretty much done. Might that have been the case with Feggins?
  9. To be fair to CWB, Highlands football today is completely different than when Ray was coaching the Colonels. AAfter Mueller transformed the Highlands program, Coach Ray didn't have much success against Highlands. CovCath did win state in 94 (Dale's first season) and did win it in 97 (the Mud Bowl year) but that was the last year that Lynn won a state championship at CovCath. The last 7 seasons of Coach Ray's tenure (seasons 98-2004), Coach Ray was 1-9 against Highlands (the 1 win coming in the playoffs in 01 by a score of 18-15 after Highlands had won in the regular season game 52-22). So, at least in my opinion, as Dale lead the dramatic improvement of Highlands football, Coach Ray didn't have much more success against Highlands than either Brossart or Wirth did. Rodenburg I believe is the only CovCath coach with a winning record against Highlands (2-1). And make no bones about it: having the ability to attract and retain excellent assistant coaches is extremely important to the success of any football program, and has played a huge role in the success of Highlands over the last 20 years, particularly after Highlands went with the two platoon system.
  10. I can't believe that either. If it is true, I will lose a lot of respect for the CovCath administration.
  11. 2009 I believe was the last year we had 3 O linemen returning as starters.
  12. I was really impressed with Evan this year. Moves his feet and hips really well to get into the proper position and to maintain his block. I'm really looking forward to watching him this year. The O line, a question mark heading into last season, became a strength of the team. Coaches Hall and Turner deserve a lot of credit, but so do the kids who worked so hard. Well done.
  13. Because I raised the issue of coaches these days not being as loyal to their programs as they used to be (and used Chuck Smith's recent actions as an example) you think that I have a personal vendetta against you, Boyle County fans and Chuck Smith? Seriously? No offense, but I think you are grasping.
  14. I said I know nothing about the situation. And I don't have to make the point I was making. You want to bust Larue for, in your opinion, not being loyal to Jaggers but you were one of the most fervent defenders of Coach Smith when he was, in my opinion, unloyal to the program he committed to for such a very short while. If you don't see the irony of that, I can't help you. And if your OP had simply addressed why you felt it was a bad decision by Larue and what a great job Jaggers had been doing, I'd not have even posted in this thread since I know nothing about Jagers nor Larue. It was the whole "schools need to be loyal to coaches" tirade in this thread when there are more and more coaches not loyal to their schools that motivated me to comment.
  15. They could be. I don't know. But someone obviously very senior in Administration either (a) believes there is a better coach out there; or (b) has some other reason for wanting to replace Jaggers. If the reason is (a), I'm not sure I'd have the problem with it that some in this thread have pronounced. If the reason is (b), then I'd need to know the reason before I could cast judgment. It's the loyalty comments that have me puzzled. Again, some people have no problem with a coach walking away from a program if he can better himself somewhere else. We've had numerous discussions on this board over the years on that subject. Heck, Chuck Smith agreed to coach at a certain program and before you knew it, he walked away from that commitment to return to Boyle. Many on here were totally fine with that. Well if such behavior is acceptable, then an administration removing a coach because they believed someone else could do better (however "better" is measured) should be fine also I'd think. Honestly, I don't know what came first: coaches being disloyal to their programs or programs being disloyal to their coaches. But it is what it is (and I'm not necessarily saying what "it is" is all that great). But as more and more schools take football more and more seriously, you'll see this happening more and more often to football coaches. I haven't followed high school basketball in Kentucky all that closely, but my guess would be if I had to guess is that schools dumping head basketball coaches in the pursuit of more wins or bettering the program has been going on in Kentucky for decades and decades.
  16. Just so I'm clear on this, some people have no qualms with a Head Coach switching schools if the Head Coach can better himself, financially or otherwise, at a different school, but if a school fires a coach because the administration believes that a new coach will better the program, that is wrong.
  17. I seriously doubt the guy even has a kid playing for Highlands. To me, he's just stirring the pot in response to some similar pot stirring threads started by Highlands folks about other programs. What goes around, comes around I guess. Irony of the situation is that a lot of responses (like your's for example) allows real Highlands fans to point out the many positives about Highlands football and to point out why Highlands football is so very successful year after year.
  18. Same thing happened when Oboro had the ball and spiked it to stop the clock. White hat had not put the ball in play, so Oboro got a do over. And again spiked the ball.
  19. There were a lot of folks (Highlands fans included) that thought the sky was falling after the 2013 season ended too. Sit back, relax and trust in the coaches and players. I'm not naive enough to think we'll win championships every year just because we are Highlands. But I've been around the program long enough and seen enough to know that the players and coaches will always give everything they've got. People put way, way too much emphasis on what happens in JV, frosh and even FTJFL games. That's just silly in my opinion. Being blunt, the talent level on the 2014 team wouldn't be in the top 15 most talented Highlands teams. But the commitment, dedication, discipline, execution and teamwork level would be right up there at the top with a whole lot of past Highlands teams. That is why they won state this year. That and the fact that we have some pretty darn good coaches at Highlands. Well done boys; well done.
  20. Congrats to Coach Hines and Pulaski. Don't know Hines real well but from what I know of him, he's a class act. Well done Pulaski.
  21. As to the bolded, Oboro completed 2 passes on the first series of the second half; threw an interception on their third series of the second half (returned for a TD); and attempted the ill fated half back pass on their fourth series of the second half; on their fifth and final series of the second half, they passed the ball on every down, ending with the interception. While Highlands never sacked Oboro when they attempted to pass in the second half, they were getting more pressure on the QB because they were bringing an inside Lber on almost every play. If I recall properly, the interception thrown on the third series (that was returned for a TD) was thrown under a lot of pressure.
  22. Some forewarning: don't count Johnson Central out in 4A next year or the years to follow.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.