Is Covington Catholic really that good a job?

Cynical

For most High School football coaches looking at Cov. Cath, is it really that great a job?

Let me start by acknowledging that Cov. Cath is in fact a very good job relative to most in KY...BUT then let me also present these obstacles that may show that its underbelly leaves a lot to be desired.

Problem 1: It's a private school. That means you're giving away years when it comes to retirement. It also means you're not going to have great salaries (usually). This nix'es a lot of good potential candidates.

Problem 2: Highlands. You can't get away from them. Their feeder system is better, their staff in place is better, their facilities are better, and the quality of players they get seems to be better. On top of that, they've hoodwinked the boys in blue.

Problem 3: Facilities. Still no lights? Seriously? That can be a pain in the butt. Who really wants to play half their games on Saturday when there's college football, yard work, and a million other things that need to be done? This works in conjuncture with Problem 1...as the HC at Cov. Cath., it's not like you're going to be making 25K just to coach...your free time is still valuable.

Problem 4: Expectations. There is almost no way to have a great season at Cov. Cath without winning it all. And 5A is too good with Highlands and BG to win it all a lot. So even when you right the ship and make it to the Regional Final and fight Highlands tooth and nail, it's still a down year (ahem). On top of that, you're expected to play a brutal schedule. Some will say these expectations are a benefit, but when you're playing way above average teams with slightly above average players, it's a struggle.

Problem 5: Parents. I'm not around there so I can't say this is a real problem, but it sure sounds like one from what I read on here. Again, that's just speculation.

I could be totally off...and I'm sure that a lot of the NKY contingent will say that I am, but when you look at all that, Cov. Cath just isn't the shining star it's made out to be. A good job no doubt, but one that comes with a lot of baggage.

Edited by True blue (and gold)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is fair, also. I believe #1 is the main reason. If you are a family man, you have to strongly consider salary and benefits. #5 Some parents are a problem at most places, most administrators don't buy into it. I have no idea about CCH, but I would think it is on par with a lot of programs that expect to win it all every year. NCC and Trinity and BG have taught us what tough scheduling can do in the long run in football. They seem to understand, so I don't buy it if you understand there will be bumps along the way. Facilities are overrated IMO, CCH is good enough facility wise. I think Saturday afternoon is an advantage for them. I think expecting to win it all and having high expectations is good, however, you just can't keep changing coaches and staffs. Stability is much more important over the long haul.

Problem 1: There may be some true to this

Problem 2: CovCath has one of the best feeder systems around. The grade and middle school team are very competitive playing in GCYL (GCL)

Highlands plays on the worst field I have seem and that includes LexCath's and talking to Highlands people there other facilities are not much better.Coaching , I agree. Highlands get the most out of there players, but I do not think they get better quality players. Wirth inability to over come the mental part of the playing Highland lead to just bad performance by both players and coaches, and is a small reason we are here today.

Problem 3: I do not believe its a issue, but within couple years they will have a new stadium. If they come out of the silent phase. Problem 4: Yes CovCath expects to win state every year, wouldn't expect anything else.

Just like Highland expects to win every year.

Problem 5: Brossart did not get a fair shoot from parents, however Wirth never had a problem until this year and he brought a lot of it on himself.

Wirth had good support from parents until the Beechwood game but it never reach the Brossart levels.

I think parents could be used as a down side for any job, any where. That's just the nature of society. They're going to be hard to deal with anywhere that even remotely cares about the program. Even places that don't care about going 0-10, the parents are still going to be a handful.

While I don't think any one of these problems would be enough to steer someone away from the job, putting them all together is what would make it difficult. Even 2 aspects of that aren't really a deal breaker, I wouldn't think. Just putting them all together could be a bit much.

But I do think it's a good job overall, when compared to the rest of the state. I'd put it in the top tier of jobs, without a doubt. Just has a lot that goes with it.

All good points. I'm interested in hearing the counterargument.

I'm sure some people could have listed the same (5) "problems" when the Basketball team went thru a change a few years back (except substitute Highlands for Holmes or NCC).

Seems like its all turned out OK.

For most High School football coaches looking at Cov. Cath, is it really that great a job?

Let me start by acknowledging that Cov. Cath is in fact a very good job relative to most in KY...BUT then let me also present these obstacles that may show that its underbelly leaves a lot to be desired.

Problem 1: It's a private school. That means you're giving away years when it comes to retirement. It also means your not going to have great salaries (usually). This nix'es a lot of good potential candidates.

Problem 2: Highlands. You can't get away from them. their feeder system is better, their staff in place is better, their facilities are better, and the quality of players they get seems to be better. On top of that, they've hoodwinked the boys in blue.

Problem 3: Facilities. Still no lights? Seriously? That can be a pain in the butt. Who really wants to play half their games on Saturday when there's college football, yard work, and a million other things that need to be done? This works in conjuncture with Problem 1...as the HC at Cov. Cath., it's not like you're going to be making 25K just to coach...your free time is still valuable.

Problem 4: Expectations. There is almost no way to have a great season at Cov. Cath without winning it all. And 5A is too good with highlands and BG to win it all a lot. So even when you right the ship and make it to the Regional Final and fight Highlands tooth and nail, it's still a down year (ahem). On top of that, you're expected to play a brutal schedule. Some will say these expectations are a benefit, but when you're playing way above average teams with slightly above average players, it's a struggle.

Problem 5: Parents. I'm not around there so I can't say this is a real problem, but it sure sounds like one from what I read on here. Again, that's just speculation.

I could be totally off...and I'm sure that a lot of the NKY contingent will say that I am, but when you look at all that, Cov. Cath just isn't the shining star it's made out to be. A good job no doubt, but one that comes with a lot of baggage.

Some interesting thoughts but why would a Cincinnati GCL school be such a prestigious and sought after job. Moeller and X are in the same boat. I get that your referring to NKY but it can be looked at the same. I don't buy some of the points. The very reason many public schools fail are because they don't have near the parent support as private schools. So if your have 2 children your paying to send there at 14k-20k a year, yes you expect a higher level of things.

2) Highlands can be free. CCH is not. Its very expensive and most families can't afford nor are willing to sacrifice to send their children to a private school. Hence CCH may lose kids especially in the last 10 years. families also do not send their children k-8 then switch over for that reason. see CCH basketball.

3) lights and facility. Moeller has no field period. hasn't stopped them. They rent a place 20 minutes away. why would a kid go there. Plus half there games are at 7pm in Cleveland, Indy, Nashville, Louisville etc. so they cant do yard work either, but I agree get some lights CCH my gosh.

4) expectations: same why would the GCL be different. Elder, LaSalle have just as high if not higher than CCH and those are big time sought after jobs.

I don't buy good football players grow up east of DT and up 471 and not 75. I know a ton of young great athletes in the feeder areas for CCH who at 9, 10 and 11 and 12 and have not played football nor want to yet they all play AAU basketball and baseball and are great. I can tell you the best 3rd and 4th and 5th grade athlete in CCH feeder do not play football and at this time have no interest doing so.

It comes down to tradition the past 10-15 years. every boy in CCH area wants to be the next Luke Maile or Nick Ruthsatz.

IMO and my thoughts and I have no children that have attended either

Some interesting thoughts but why would a Cincinnati GCL school be such a prestigious and sought after job. Moeller and X are in the same boat. I get that your referring to NKY but it can be looked at the same. I don't buy some of the points. The very reason many public schools fail are because they don't have near the parent support as private schools. So if your have 2 children your paying to send there at 14k-20k a year, yes you expect a higher level of things.

2) Highlands can be free. CCH is not. Its very expensive and most families can't afford nor are willing to sacrifice to send their children to a private school. Hence CCH may lose kids especially in the last 10 years. families also do not send their children k-8 then switch over for that reason. see CCH basketball.

3) lights and facility. Moeller has no field period. hasn't stopped them. They rent a place 20 minutes away. why would a kid go there. Plus half there games are at 7pm in Cleveland, Indy, Nashville, Louisville etc. so they cant do yard work either, but I agree get some lights CCH my gosh.

4) expectations: same why would the GCL be different. Elder, LaSalle have just as high if not higher than CCH and those are big time sought after jobs.

I don't buy good football players grow up east of DT and up 471 and not 75. I know a ton of young great athletes in the feeder areas for CCH who at 9, 10 and 11 and 12 and have not played football nor want to yet they all play AAU basketball and baseball and are great. I can tell you the best 3rd and 4th and 5th grade athlete in CCH feeder do not play football and at this time have no interest doing so.

It comes down to tradition the past 10-15 years. every boy in CCH area wants to be the next Luke Maile or Nick Ruthsatz.

IMO and my thoughts and I have no children that have attended either

I agree with just about everything you say - although I'm not sure I agree with "every boy in CCH area wants to be the next Luke Maile". Now Ruthsatz I can see because that recent history.

Beyond that, if someone argues that Wirth is gone due to his inability to get further in State, frankly I'm not sure I understand how Krumpelbeck gets the out of jail free card. Been there - what?- almost 40 years and has one State Championship back in 2002 with all that talent in the halls?

1. There are a lot of benefits to a private education. Every teacher cares about every kid for starters. None of them are coasting into retirement.

2. Nobody wants to beat the 3rd ,8th or 14th best team in the state for a championship. To be the best you need to play and beat the best. I enjoy the CCH Highlands series. Not the results the past 8 years, but I do enjoy the game. Mutual respect among the teams.

3. Facilities are a work in progress. Improvements are on the way.

4. Every team's expectations should be to win. That is why you keep score.

5. Cov Cath parents historically are very supportive of the coaching staff for all sports and faculty as well. Just like at any other school (or business for that matter.) there are complainers that should be kept in perspective.