Is Covington Catholic really that good a job?

Cynical

1. There are a lot of benefits to a private education. Every teacher cares about every kid for starters. None of them are coasting into retirement.

OK, that was very poorly stated and does not deliver the intended message. Let’s try again.

Teachers don’t come to CCH because of the pay. Once there, they stay at CCH because of the fulfillment they receive day in and day out. If the personal rewards are no longer there, a faculty member will not just stay the course for the paycheck or the retirement. They can earn more just about anywhere else they choose.

That is all I was trying to say.

Gotcha, and I do not disagree!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You all raise another problem I see...

Building a Quality Staff. Think about the Private School argument, and now try and hire top-flight help (like Cov. Cath should have) for lesser positions and no retirement. Yikes! Not to mention with having to compete with some of the nation's top athletics private schools right across the river for the small pool of coach/teachers that do want to jump into that particular job market.

Building a Quality Staff. Think about the Private School argument, and now try and hire top-flight help (like Cov. Cath should have) for lesser positions and no retirement. Yikes! Not to mention with having to compete with some of the nation's top athletics private schools right across the river for the small pool of coach/teachers that do want to jump into that particular job market.

That's a MAJOR hurdle in the Catholic school coaching game.

That's a MAJOR hurdle in the Catholic school coaching game.

Funny, nobody was using this excuse when Coach Ray was here, winning state titles. :popcorn:

Funny, nobody was using this excuse when Coach Ray was here, winning state titles. :popcorn:

So does the University of Miami get to say, "Nobody was talking about these problems back when so-an-so was winning championships?"...I mean, times change, problems arise...and the answers from 15-30 years ago often don't answer the problems of today.

Just curious, Rowe has won how many district, and regional championship in football since he's been at CCH? He may be doing an excellent job, as you claim, but CCH isn't winning football titles with him at the helm, yet it's the head football coach who get's fired, moving onto it's 3rd coaching change in the last 7 years? Just some food for thought. My whole point is it's not always the head football coaches fault, again some more food for thought. :popcorn:

not anytime soon. :popcorn:

" Everything you are Hearing " PLEASE!!! :popcorn: Enough already. FYI. not ALL NFL players are best friends just because they play on the same team, sorry to burst your bubble. :sssh:

Reality hurts sometimes, it's OK! :popcorn:

Fine, then why make a head football coaching change every 3 years or so, over the past decade? :popcorn:

Doesn't he hire the head football coach? :popcorn: I'd say he's more toward the top of the latter, then the head football coach.

My point is, I don't think to many Bengal fans would be to upset if this happened, just being honest. I never said I wanted Dalton to get hurt, just said, what if? :popcorn: GO HAWKS!

"Correct, just because someone does something doesn't mean they can teach it, not to mention everything else that goes along with being a HC."

Then why did you say this? :popcorn: Sounds like to me, you don't think he's capable of being a HC @ CCH. :popcorn: Your words, not mine.

Not really, :popcorn:

Big popcorn eaters in the Lock Box household?

So does the University of Miami get to say, "Nobody was talking about these problems back when so-an-so was winning championships?"...I mean, times change, problems arise...and the answers from 15-30 years ago often don't answer the problems of today.

I agree with this, but Highlands was still pretty good 15-30 years ago, winning state titles, and they continue right along. :popcorn:

So long as you don't require your assistants to be employed in the school this is less of a challenge.

Also are we 100% of the belief that the major coaching positions at Cov. Cath earn less than their public school counterparts? There was no additional financial incentive to lure Ruthsatz here beyond the regular Cov. Cath faculty/coach package?

To be fair to CWB, Highlands football today is completely different than when Ray was coaching the Colonels. AAfter Mueller transformed the Highlands program, Coach Ray didn't have much success against Highlands. CovCath did win state in 94 (Dale's first season) and did win it in 97 (the Mud Bowl year) but that was the last year that Lynn won a state championship at CovCath. The last 7 seasons of Coach Ray's tenure (seasons 98-2004), Coach Ray was 1-9 against Highlands (the 1 win coming in the playoffs in 01 by a score of 18-15 after Highlands had won in the regular season game 52-22). So, at least in my opinion, as Dale lead the dramatic improvement of Highlands football, Coach Ray didn't have much more success against Highlands than either Brossart or Wirth did. Rodenburg I believe is the only CovCath coach with a winning record against Highlands (2-1).

And make no bones about it: having the ability to attract and retain excellent assistant coaches is extremely important to the success of any football program, and has played a huge role in the success of Highlands over the last 20 years, particularly after Highlands went with the two platoon system.

To be fair to CWB, Highlands football today is completely different than when Ray was coaching the Colonels. AAfter Mueller transformed the Highlands program, Coach Ray didn't have much success against Highlands. CovCath did win state in 94 (Dale's first season) and did win it in 97 (the Mud Bowl year) but that was the last year that Lynn won a state championship at CovCath. The last 7 seasons of Coach Ray's tenure (seasons 98-2004), Coach Ray was 1-9 against Highlands (the 1 win coming in the playoffs in 01 by a score of 18-15 after Highlands had won in the regular season game 52-22). So, at least in my opinion, as Dale lead the dramatic improvement of Highlands football, Coach Ray didn't have much more success against Highlands than either Brossart or Wirth did. Rodenburg I believe is the only CovCath coach with a winning record against Highlands (2-1).

And make no bones about it: having the ability to attract and retain excellent assistant coaches is extremely important to the success of any football program, and has played a huge role in the success of Highlands over the last 20 years, particularly after Highlands went with the two platoon system.

Absolutely agree 100%. I loved watching Coach Ray's team, I loved playing for him, and I still respect him more than a lot of people on the face of the earth, but when Coach Mueller brought about a whole new game at Highlands - particularly with the platoon system - Coach Ray struggled to keep up with Highlands.

Having a quality assistant coaching staff has been and always will be a struggle for Cov Cath (along with most Catholic schools, as far as I can tell), but it was a struggle that Coach Ray managed to overcome for a good while.

I believe all the assistant coaches at CCH are paid, at most of the public schools that I am aware of only have six or seven including the head coach are paid.

The last time I heard, payment for most of the assistant coaches at Cov Cath totals in the hundreds of dollars for the entire year. It's been probably 5 years or so since I heard anything about that...but still, the money is essentially enough for the assistant coaches to have little more than a nice night out on the town with their wives for letting them avoid chores around the house all year long.