Is Covington Catholic really that good a job?

Cynical

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, as you know, I had one that went private and one that went public pretty much the same.

Here is my over generalization, parents and students at private schools seem to think that if a student does not go to private school they were not good enough to attend.

Disagree with your generalization. Sometimes parents who pay a lot of money need to rationalize.

Here is my over generalization, parents and students at private schools seem to think that if a student does not go to private school they were not good enough to attend.

Over generalization?? I don't think that's even accurate as a plain old generalization.

I attended Catholic schools from kindergarten through high school, and I've been volunteering in Catholic schools for about 16 years now, and I could probably count on one hand the number of Catholic school students/parents that I've encountered who espoused that view.

Now there may be some elite private schools - à la Cincinnati Country Day, Summit Country Day, and Phillips Academy Andover - where there is a sense of kids at public schools "not being good enough", but as for Catholic schools, most everyone you come across is well aware that it is much more of a religious issue or an economic reason that makes people decide their children will attend elsewhere.

- where there is a sense of "good enough", but as for Catholic schools, most everyone you come across is well aware that that is much more of a religious issue or an economic reason that makes people decide their children will attend elsewhere.

You and I will probably disagree on the % that do so for religious reasons. Probably a separate thread.

Over generalization?? I don't think that's even accurate as a plain old generalization.

I attended Catholic schools from kindergarten through high school, and I've been volunteering in Catholic schools for about 16 years now, and I could probably count on one hand the number of Catholic school students/parents that I've encountered who espoused that view.

Now there may be some elite private schools - à la Cincinnati Country Day, Summit Country Day, and Phillips Academy Andover - where there is a sense of kids at public schools "not being good enough", but as for Catholic schools, most everyone you come across is well aware that it is much more of a religious issue or an economic reason that makes people decide their children will attend elsewhere.

Aren't you the one that said CCH holds kids to a higher standard?

When a few parents would find out I had one in public and one in private, they would say I guess the one isn't good enough. At first I took it as just kidding around, but as I spent time with them at different school events and social functions, it became clear that was there actual thoughts.

Like I said over generalization, just the same as the one post about the teachers at private schools.

Sorry for going off topic!

I think the CCH job is a great job that has a lot resources available to it but it is not for everyone.

Aren't you the one that said CCH holds kids to a higher standard?

When a few parents would find out I had one in public and one in private, they would say I guess the one isn't good enough. At first I took it as just kidding around, but as I spent time with them at different school events and social functions, it became clear that was there actual thoughts.

Like I said over generalization, just the same as the one post about the teachers at private schools.

Sorry for going off topic!

I think the CCH job is a great job that has a lot resources available to it but it is not for everyone.

Yes, I've said that Cov Cath holds students to higher standards, and I'll say it again willingly.

Holding someone to a higher standard has zero to do with them being "good enough", though. Being "good enough" is a statement about the actual student and their character, where holding someone to a higher standard is done by someone other than the student, and has zero to do with that student's character.

That's all I'll say about that in this thread, though. If you want to continue the discussion, you can start a separate thread.

CVH for 1.

Class of 14 - 6 or 7 starters on 2-loss (HHS) frosh team, Pope, Schreiver, Schult, etc.

Not necessarily an indictment on Wirth, just recognition of the CCH culture at present.

I'm not overly familiar with HHS personnel, but gotta believe more kids hang with football than CCH. Why wouldn't you, the success & community popularity is top notch.

Those kids were not playing football regardless of the head coach. They wanted to concentrate on one sport.

Quote Originally Posted by World B Free View Post

CVH for 1.

Class of 14 - 6 or 7 starters on 2-loss (HHS) frosh team, Pope, Schreiver, Schult, etc.

Not necessarily an indictment on Wirth, just recognition of the CCH culture at present.

I'm not overly familiar with HHS personnel, but gotta believe more kids hang with football than CCH. Why wouldn't you, the success & community popularity is top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde

Those kids were not playing football regardless of the head coach. They wanted to concentrate on one sport.

Correct, as all 3 of them now play other sports at the college level.

Schult and Schreiver left soley to focus on basketball and baseball. Pope left to focus on baseball AND he was injured in his last game so he did not want to risk it.

The lights aren't a booster issue. The lights are a campus improvement capital campaign issue.

The bigger point is that a wealthy booster maybe even a person involved with a team somewhere in the program made it apparent to many that he would write a check for major dollars if Dave Wirth was fired and if they hired a certain coach to replace him. Did that have an impact?

The answer to the thread question? It depends on the coach. Yes, money and benefits is an issue. It would be difficult, I think, to lure an established public school coach to Park Hills. The economics just don't make sense. Your best bets are to find one of the following: a proven coach at a private school that is committed to the mission/philosophy of a Catholic education, an "up and comer" from the public schools looking to establish a name, or an independently wealthy individual that doesn't give a rip about dough or has an alternate source of income and benefits. As a CCH fan, I don't like the middle option, as that probably leads to turnover once success is achieved.

In terms of dealing with the parents, I do think it's tougher at private schools. This is also related to economics. The more financial "skin" someone has in the game, the more entitled they feel. This is not an absolute statement, but it is true for a vocal minority. I wish this was not the case - money (tuition or donations) should not be given with strings attached, but some don't see it that way. Again, it's a minority, but IMO, it happens more often in a private school setting. The unfortunate truth is, you need to win and win big to buy yourself some time. We live in a fast food society - we want instant gratification.

The next coach needs supreme self-confidence in his ability and his plan, as well as some time from the administration to establish his program. I believe in Bob Rowe - he gets it. I hope he can find the right guy.

The answer to the thread question? It depends on the coach. Yes, money and benefits is an issue. It would be difficult, I think, to lure an established public school coach to Park Hills. The economics just don't make sense. Your best bets are to find one of the following: a proven coach at a private school that is committed to the mission/philosophy of a Catholic education, an "up and comer" from the public schools looking to establish a name, or an independently wealthy individual that doesn't give a rip about dough or has an alternate source of income and benefits. As a CCH fan, I don't like the middle option, as that probably leads to turnover once success is achieved.

In terms of dealing with the parents, I do think it's tougher at private schools. This is also related to economics. The more financial "skin" someone has in the game, the more entitled they feel. This is not an absolute statement, but it is true for a vocal minority. I wish this was not the case - money (tuition or donations) should not be given with strings attached, but some don't see it that way. Again, it's a minority, but IMO, it happens more often in a private school setting. The unfortunate truth is, you need to win and win big to buy yourself some time. We live in a fast food society - we want instant gratification.

The next coach needs supreme self-confidence in his ability and his plan, as well as some time from the administration to establish his program. I believe in Bob Rowe - he gets it. I hope he can find the right guy.

Great post!

You summed it up very well, another option would possibly be a public coach that is retired or eligible for retirement.