Kobe vs. Jordan

Who is better......Kobe or Jordan?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better......Kobe or Jordan?

I agree. I don't think it's a landslide. But, to me it's not even about Kobe. Michael Jordan, to me, is clearly the greatest basketball player I've ever seen...better than Bird, Magic, Kobe, etc. Doesn't mean I believe those guys aren't worthy to grace his presence, simply that I think he's better and I don't have any internal debate about the question. Ask me who the best ever is and I'll say MJ without immediately with no second thoughts.

If someone else believes otherwise, and most do not, then so be it. Jordan isn't the only great to ever play...Magic, Bird and company speak for themselves.

BTW, has there ever been a more impressive performance in league history than Magic Johnson, as a rookie, playing point guard, forward and center (for the injured Kareem) in Game 6 of the finals, tallying 42 points, 15 rebounds, 7 assists and 3 steals in leading his team to a championship clinching win?

No. There hasn't been a more impressive performance..

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree with your perspective, the tone of the posts seem to say otherwise. I don't think most people are saying Kobe is only separated in greatness by a little. If they are, my apologies for misinterpreting their posts.

In all reality PP92, how can you measure it? I would definitely say that Kobe is one of my favorites to watch. I like him more than LeBron, Wade, and etc. Jordan is clearly better, but how do you meaure it. What is a little? Inches? A few feet? There really is no way to measure that, just people think MJ is definitely the better all-time player. I think you read more into that than is really there for the sake of an arguement (haha good discussion).

For those of us that got to witness both play, and I am no sure basketball expert, I say that my eyes showed me that MJ was better. Was it intangibles? I'm not sure, but I have always felt MJ is by himself as the NBA's greatest. He's Babe Ruth to a Mantle per se.

In all reality PP92, how can you measure it? I would definitely say that Kobe is one of my favorites to watch. I like him more than LeBron, Wade, and etc. Jordan is clearly better, but how do you meaure it. What is a little? Inches? A few feet? There really is no way to measure that, just people think MJ is definitely the better all-time player. I think you read more into that than is really there for the sake of an arguement (haha good discussion).

I totally agree. To me it's clear that MJ was better. It doesn't mean I'm taking a shot at Kobe. I have no idea how to quantify how much better he is. I just believe he is/was better.

For those of us that got to witness both play, and I am no sure basketball expert, I say that my eyes showed me that MJ was better. Was it intangibles? I'm not sure, but I have always felt MJ is by himself as the NBA's greatest. He's Babe Ruth to a Mantle per se.

:thumb:

Well stated. I don't dwell on numbers with these two guys. Both are dominant, unstoppable offensive players regardless of who has more range, is more skilled, stronger, more athletic, etc.

I do think Jordan was a better defender in all aspects.

After that, it's just my opinion from watching both extensively. If I have to pick one guy to win a game, to take a big shot, it's Jordan without question. That's where the argument begins and ends.

I totally agree. To me it's clear that MJ was better. It doesn't mean I'm taking a shot at Kobe. I have no idea how to quantify how much better he is. I just believe he is/was better.

:thumb:

I can add this...when it comes to Jordan vs. anybody, I pick Jordan with no hesitation and no second thoughts. So, in this case, that anybody is Kobe. It doesn't mean I think Jordan is infinitely better, but it is clear to me.

On the other hand, over the years, I've went back and forth on the Bird vs. Magic debate. That one isn't clear to me. There's no back and forth when it comes to MJ. I'm like RP. He's the greatest.

What Kobe did tonight had nothing to do with the argument. Kobe did what he needed to do to help his team get the win. He grabbed 15 rebounds and passed out of the double teams and found the open men later in the game. Yeah he didn't have a good shooting game but he helped them in other areas where they needed it. A truly great player has a huge impact on his team and the game even when he has an off night and he did that tonight. Spin it however you want but he got 1 for the thumb tonight anyway you spin it.

What Kobe did tonight had nothing to do with the argument. Kobe did what he needed to do to help his team get the win. He grabbed 15 rebounds and passed out of the double teams and found the open men later in the game. Yeah he didn't have a good shooting game but he helped them in other areas where they needed it. A truly great player has a huge impact on his team and the game even when he has an off night and he did that tonight. Spin it however you want but he got 1 for the thumb tonight anyway you spin it.

I agree. Last night really has no bearing on on this debate. MJ was better before last night and he is better this morning.

I agree. Last night really has no bearing on on this debate. MJ was better before last night and he is better this morning.

Agreed!

I think the one factor that hurts Kobe the most is he tried to be like Jordan so much, or atleast that is how it seems. I know it was pointed out before on this debate that Kobe imulates MJ, but I mean come on, holding up the 5 fingers while standing on the scorers table, that is original! The great thing about MJ is he was himself, he didn't try to be like anyone else, nor did he try to compare himself to others. He was Michael Jordan. IMO, it seems like Kobe wants so badly to be compared to MJ (and better than), which unfortunately, he will never be able to achieve IMO.

Agreed!

I think the one factor that hurts Kobe the most is he tried to be like Jordan so much, or atleast that is how it seems. I know it was pointed out before on this debate that Kobe imulates MJ, but I mean come on, holding up the 5 fingers while standing on the scorers table, that is original! The great thing about MJ is he was himself, he didn't try to be like anyone else, nor did he try to compare himself to others. He was Michael Jordan. IMO, it seems like Kobe wants so badly to be compared to MJ (and better than), which unfortunately, he will never be able to achieve IMO.

To be better than Jordan... yeah, such a horrible idea. Bryant has a long way to go in my book to surpass Michael Jordan, but just because he is shooting to be that good or better, I am not going to knock him for it. In fact, I would knock him if he were doing otherwise.

I agree on the finger thing, more original would have been to jump on his hands and stick up five toes to separate himself from Air Jordan. I too held up five fingers in celebratory mode. Only thing missing were my Hanes Briefs and Lime Gatorade.

No. There hasn't been a more impressive performance..

That is the most impressive performance I have ever seen. However, .... Bill Russell getting 30 points and 40 rebounds in one game vs the Lakers in the finals has to be at or near the top of the list as well.

Everyone forgets Russell who was the best player on a team that won 9 titles while he was playing.