Everything posted by 5wide
-
Buckhorn 46 Perry Central 42
If you're familiar with the 14th region, you know that PCC's coach (Hatcher) loves to play that slow-down, grind-it-out style of low-scoring basketball. IMO, that doesn't maximize the talent he consistently possesses at a school like Perry Central. The Commodores were probably 10-15 points better than the rest of the region, but when you play a style of basketball that allows solid teams to stay close, especially a team with a player like Matt Day, you open the door for a big shot or two down the stretch to beat you. This is certainly an upset, but I think many people familiar with the region felt Buckhorn was a dangerous opponent for PCC to have to face in a district eliminator. The two teams did not play during the regular season, and I believe that likely benefitted Buckhorn in this situation. Congratulations to the Wildcats. This certainly opens the door for a few other teams in the region and makes Knott Central the favorite.
-
2012 KHSAA Boy's Basketball Post Season Upsets
No, thanks for the information. Obviously I'm just going by the KHSAA site, so all updates and corrections are more than welcome (from me at least). I would think that would certainly make a difference and is worth noting.
-
Bryan Station 60 Henry Clay 54
I knew someone posted (I thought it was you) that Bryan Station really wanted to end Henry Clay's season and thought they could do it.
-
2012 KHSAA Boy's Basketball Post Season Upsets
35th District Covington Catholic (17-12) - 81 Covington Holy Cross (28-3) - 74 Triple Overtime. Holy Cross won the first matchup 74-68 in OT. Not a surprising result, but by ratings and record the underdog won. 37th District Campbell Co. (17-12) - 46 Bishop Brossart (20-8) - 40 Campbell Co. won the regular season matchup 58-54 @ Bishop Brossart. Again, not so much an upset, but the favorite didn't win. 42nd District Bryan Station (12-19) - 60 Henry Clay (22-9) - 54 Henry Clay won both regular season matchups, winning by 10 on their home court early in the season and by 6 @ Bryan Station in mid-January. Major upset for the team that beat Madison Central and Scott County in back-to-back games just three weeks ago to go down. That was the only regional losses either of those teams suffered, and it is the only thing standing between Central and an undefeated record. Definitely the biggest upset to date. 51st District Pineville (11-17) - 66 Barbourville (23-5) - 55 Barbourville won the first meeting by 15 @ Pineville and was considered a contender for the regional championship. Another big upset, IMO, but not quite as eye opening as Henry Clay going down. Also, not sure about the score. KHSAA has 66-55, but someone posted in the game thread that is should be 66-65. There's what I see.
-
Perry County Central 71 Sheldon Clark 45
Jody Demling has Paige has his top senior. The list is based on college potential. http://blogs.courier-journal.com/jodydemling/2012/02/17/kentuckys-top-players-4/?odyssey=obnetwork
-
Dixie Heights vs Boone County Predictions
As an outsider, it looks like this to me. 1. Dixie Heights 2. Covington Holy Cross 3-6. Boone County, Covington Holmes, Covington Catholic, Newport Central Catholic I think Dixie Heights is a clear #1 at this point with a perfect 12-0 record vs. the rest of the region. It would be hard to top Holy Cross's argument for the second spot. And, I think you can make an argument for any of the rest in the 3-6 spots.
-
Best District Elimination Games
Looking for some of the good district matchups that will send a regional contender home early. With most districts seeding now, it doesn't happen as much, but there are a few districts with more than 2 regional contenders, and still a few that do the blind draw. District 14 - Greenwood (19-8, 13-5) @ Warren Central (22-7, 11-3) They played twice during the season and split with the home team winning each game. Greenwood won 37-33 on January 20th. Warren Central won 51-41 one week ago. District 17 - John Hardin (16-8, 10-3) vs. Central Hardin (12-13, 7-4) These two also split two matchups, but the road team won these games. Central Hardin won the first matchup 56-54 in December, with John Hardin winning 58-51 about a month later. District 17 - North Hardin (9-16, 5-8) vs. Elizabethtown (16-10, 11-2) This is a likely matchup, but North Hardin does have to win a game to meet E'town in the semifinals. The teams played twice in January with E'town winning both, by two at North Hardin and by 12 on their home court. But, with North Hardin returning some suspended players, not sure how much that means. Tough district. District 24 - Jeffersontown (19-9, 8-4) vs. Fern Creek (16-13, 6-6) The two played about a month ago with J'town winning by 3 at Fern Creek. District 29 - Oldham County (24-5, 7-1) vs. North Oldham (18-10, 9-3) Oldham County won the only matchup by 12 on their home court. District 35 - Cov. Holy Cross (27-2, 14-2) vs. Cov. Catholic (16-11, 7-4) Holy Cross won on their home court two weeks ago, 74-68 in overtime. I would rate this as the best district elimination game on the list. District 37 - Bishop Brossart (20-7, 12-2) vs. Campbell County (16-12, 6-2) Brossart will be the favorite, but Campbell County won in overtime at Brossart in early January, so they should have the confidence of knowing they can beat this team. District 54 - Perry Central (22-4, 7-0) vs. Buckhorn (20-5, 11-3) The two teams did not play during the season. Perry Central is a solid favorite to win the 14th region, but Buckhorn is not a team to be taken lightly. The Wildcats are lead by 6-7 do everything senior Matt Day who is arguably the region's top player. Other than a possible matchup with regional host Knott Central, Buckhorn is likely the Commodores most dangerous opponent.
-
Dixie Heights vs Boone County Predictions
When it gets down to regional tournament time, I like to look at regional records just as much as overall. I also like to figure out what their record is against only in-state competition. Boone County Overall: 22-6 In-state: 21-6 Region: 11-3 Dixie Heights Overall: 19-8 In-state: 17-3 Region: 12-0 To me, if I'm just looking at the body of work of the season, Dixie has already clinched the top spot in the ninth region, win or lose in this game. That doesn't mean Boone County, or someone else couldn't be playing better at the right time, but at worst, Dixie will finish 17-4 in-state and 12-1 vs. the region, still better than anyone else. The most impressive thing about Dixie Heights is in their 3 games against other top contenders in the region, they won by 7, 17 and 14. Boone County is 2-2 against the other top teams...wins against Holy Cross and Holmes, losses to Cov. Catholic and Newport Catholic. This is a nice matchup to close the season though.
-
2012 Sweet 16 Regional Contest
1 - Marshall County 2 - Hopkinsville 3 - Ohio County 4 - Bowling Green 5 - Bardstown 6 - Moore 7 - Trinity 8 - South Oldham 9 - Dixie Heights 10 - George Rogers Clark 11 - Madison Central 12 - East Jessamine 13 - Harlan County 14 - Perry Central 15 - Johnson Central 16 - Ashland Blazer TB - 4th Region
-
Bethlehem 55 Bardstown 36
Thanks for the info guys. I'll probably stick with Bardstown, but thanks to you guys, I don't feel nearly as good about that pick.
-
Rankings for 2-14
I find Cantrall's ratings to be just as good as any other. They provide a decent starting point for evaluating teams without actually being able to watch them all. I don't have a problem with them.
-
Bethlehem 55 Bardstown 36
I don't need to know the details of the suspension. I just wanted to know when they were suspended and how long they were out so I could see how the scores varied in correlation. Trying to pick my regional winners and I didn't know that about North Hardin.
-
Bethlehem 55 Bardstown 36
The point was not the overall strength of the region, but the nature of how the teams play. The comment about "rugged" meant the teams play a physical brand of basketball. Tell me about North Hardin and their suspended players. How many players did they get back and how long were they playing without them?
-
6, 7, 8 Region/district Break down boys’ edition
They got two transfers this late in the season that will be eligible to play? Also, I wouldn't say that makes them a favorite. Adding two players at tournament time allows no time to adjust or develop chemistry. It could work out, but I think the odds are just as good that the team struggles to play with any cohesion and can't win the region.
-
Ninth Region- Dixie Heights , Cov Holy Cross 1-2
...
-
Rankings for 2-14
Sounds like Woodford could be a decent dark horse pick, but that region is brutal. It's possible they'd have to beat three of the top 10 teams in the state in the regional tournament, isn't it? Thanks for the info guys.
-
Rankings for 2-14
When did he get hurt? How long was he out? Is he 100% now?
-
Rankings for 2-14
True. And, they have a nice record at 22-4. I just don't think they're one of the 20 best teams in the state.
-
6, 7, 8 Region/district Break down boys’ edition
Oldham Co. vs. North Oldham could be an interesting first round district matchup.
-
Rankings for 2-14
Yes. Knott Central should not be in the Top 25. There's one team you could certainly move out to get a more deserving team in.
-
Rankings for 2-14
I don't know much about them. Heard they had an injured player return...can you tell me a little about them? How long did they play without him, how good is he, how good are the others? It is hard to think they can run the gauntlet of the 11th. That's why I'm curious to know more about them.
-
Bethlehem 55 Bardstown 36
:thumb: BTW, I'm not trying to knock them. Just asking a serious question. Sometimes its worth taking a shot on a sleeper to keep from changing other picks. Bethlehem was one of the teams I was considering for that potentially.
-
Rankings for 2-14
How good is Woodford County? What kind of chance do they have to pull the upset and win the 11th?
-
Bethlehem 55 Bardstown 36
I have a hard time buying Bethlehem as a legit contender. The schedule is lacking. They've only played two of the region's better teams, losing 3 of 4. The only win coming on their home court in highly favorable circumstances as previously mentioned. That is how it looks to an outside observer anyway. What are the odds they can win the region? I'd love to have a good dark horse for my regional picks. I doubt many cards will have Bethlehem on them.
-
Perry County Central 46 Knott County Central 43
Could be a preview of the region championship.