Open Job: Bishop Brossart

I’m not sure if that would a school or diocese rule, but “back in my day” we had a few teachers and coach(s) that were not even married. If this is a rule, what difference would it make if they’ve never been married to not being married anymore. This is jut speculation still of course.

1 hour ago, theguru said:

So normally I wouldn't post something like this because I think it is personal but in this case it is relevant.  I am told Coach Wiggins is getting a divorce and because of that Brossart fired him.

I am the messenger here. 

Anyone?

I know as a Diocese employee you have have to follow and embody the tenets of the Catholic faith. But do they really fire every diocese employee that gets divorced or otherwise violates one of the standard doctrines? I guess I get it, but if that's the case I wonder how they have enough teachers/coaches.

4 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

I’m not sure if that would a school or diocese rule, but “back in my day” we had a few teachers and coach(s) that were not even married. If this is a rule, what difference would it make if they’ve never been married to not being married anymore. This is jut speculation still of course.

I pretty sure that not being married isn't the issue. It's being divorced. I know divorce is prohibited in the Catholic Church, and prevents you from being able to partake in communion. I think the current Pope has taken a lighter stance, but that has not been officially adopted as a whole.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I know as a Diocese employee you have have to follow and embody the tenets of the Catholic faith. But do they really fire every diocese employee that gets divorced or otherwise violates one of the standard doctrines? I guess I get it, but if that's the case I wonder how they have enough enough teachers/coaches.

I have no idea but I would think either Brossart has to be 100% consistent on this policy or I think Coach Wiggins should sue Brossart into oblivion.  I will add, the way it was put to me is Brossart loves their basketball and soccer and those sports have struggled while football has been on the rise and "nefarious" forces intervened here and used the divorce as a way to put the football program back in its place. 

I know that is wild and crazy speculation and I hope none of it is true but I am all eyes and ears?

Anyone?

9 minutes ago, theguru said:

I have no idea but I would think either Brossart has to be 100% consistent on this policy or I think Coach Wiggins should sue Brossart into oblivion.  I will add, the way it was put to me is Brossart loves their basketball and soccer and those sports have struggled while football has been on the rise and "nefarious" forces intervened here and used the divorce as a way to put the football program back in its place. 

I know that is wild and crazy speculation and I hope none of it is true but I am all eyes and ears?

Anyone?

My question about firing everyone is more rhetorical. I don't for a minute believe that they are firing anyone who violates all the doctrines. I'd guess there are more than a few employees that don't even attend church outside of the church related events that happen during the school day. It would also mean all the single parents, other divorcees, those who don't regularly take communion, non married couples who live together are just a few groups that would also have to be let go.

If he was fired because football's success was stepping on the toes of Basketball and Soccer, well that's pretty weak. The "Forces" that want to see a sport fail just because it's doing better than their chosen sport need to mind their own business and stay out of things that don't concern them. If this is true, good luck finding another coach.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, theguru said:

Anyone?

If this is true, I have now been Wow’d 3 times today. 

1 hour ago, TheConch said:

If this is true, I have now been Wow’d 3 times today. 

Knowing what I know, it has nothing to do with any other sport or any personal matter Coach Wiggins is going through. I believe Coach Wiggins and his staff did a great job getting the program to where it is. He and his staff should be celebrated as they have earned the accomplishment of building that program.  I hope they honor him and his staff for the team’s recent accomplishments when it’s fitting for the program. I hope the new coach understands this as well.
Furthermore, the school has staff members who are not Catholic so moving on from someone for a specific reason relating to a very personal, private matter(and how the Catholic Church views it) is absolutely ludicrous. That allegation does not at all jive with the attitudes and behaviors I have witnessed from the Brossart admin. I will not speculate on why the change is happening, out of respect for everyone I know involved. Just gotta let it play out. Coach Wiggins and that staff are some great men and are deserving of any opportunities they go after. 

apologies for the long response.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheConch said:

Don’t even think about it! Then again, a strong contingent of my fellow PHM (and now many Alabama fans) is adamantly against QB draws, I wonder if The Alexandria Mafia would be more receptive. 

The QB draw is an under-appreciated play.

• Like 1

Responding to the Guru's request for a comment from me.  The first I heard of it was when I opened my email this morning and saw the Press Release  I have been out of the building since December 11th and had heard no rumor to the possibility that Paul would not be back.

Coach Wiggins is passionate about Brossart football.  He has given us 10 years of quality Class 1A football, and had he not accepted the challenge of taking over the program when it was facing extinction, the Football complex we know as the MAC would probably still be a hayfield. 

I'm sure the reasoning behind not renewing Paul's contract will come to light.  I too would hope that if indeed the move was made in order for the program to take a giant step forward, that the new coach has already committed, and that he will be capable of drawing  quality players into our our program, and have a proven record of taking teams to the next level.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, theguru said:

So normally I wouldn't post something like this because I think it is personal but in this case it is relevant.  I am told Coach Wiggins is getting a divorce and because of that Brossart fired him.

I am the messenger here. 

Anyone?

7 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

I know as a Diocese employee you have have to follow and embody the tenets of the Catholic faith. But do they really fire every diocese employee that gets divorced or otherwise violates one of the standard doctrines? I guess I get it, but if that's the case I wonder how they have enough teachers/coaches.

The Catholic church allows for people to get annulments in the divorce process and then to get remarried and still keep everything copacetic. I'd think Wiggins would have that opportunity. I don't know if he's Catholic or not, but if he is he'd still be in the church's good graces with an annulment.

There's a non-teaching assistant basketball coach in the diocese who married his 3rd wife within the last year or two. And I can think of several other diocesan teachers who are divorced without it being any issue for their employment, so I find it hard to believe that it's suddenly an issue for Wiggins. If that's the reason he's been given it would certainly seem like the double standard is lawsuit-worthy. Not sure if Wiggins would care enough to actually sue over it, but it seems like he'd have a pretty great case for himself if that was actually the reasoning he was given.

If Bosssrt works like public schools then your coaching contract is on a year to year basis. Meaning while I guess you could say an individual is fired the school is choosing not to renew the contract. I’m not sure how much a legal difference that makes. With coaching contracts at a public they don’t have to have a reason for the contract to not be renewed. 

I want to clarify something within the Catholic Church.

Divorce is NOT recognized, but it does not put you in mortal danger.  

Please read below as it is a statement from the Catholic Church.

If you are a separated or divorced Catholic, the first thing you should know is that divorced Catholics are not excommunicated from the Church.
• A Catholic who is divorced and not remarried is a Catholic in good standing, and is entitled to participate fully in the spiritual and sacramental life of the Catholic faith community.
• A Catholic who is divorced and remarried without a Declaration of Invalidity (an annulment) is still a member of the Church and is entitled to participate in a limited way in the spiritual and sacramental life of the Church.

With that out of the way, to clarify, the issue in employment in a Catholic school is not divorce but the remarriage.  Think of it this way.  If the Catholic church does not recognize a divorce unless its annulled then a remarriage - which cannot be done in the Church without the annulment- would mean you are married twice at this point.  This is a big issue and would result in losing your job as an employee in the Church.  This is all theoretical as I am not quite sure who makes the decisions....is it the Diocese itself or the individual schools?

So basically Coach Wiggins or any other Catholic school employee would not be in violation of Church doctrine by having a divorce completed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reading through all of this, here are a few questions I have.  Is it possible Coach Wiggins had applied for jobs elsewhere without notifying Brossart admin?  I keep hearing Eddie Eviston’s name as a potential for this job.  Any chance of this happening?

• Thanks 1