Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

5 hours ago, Mustang said:

I would prefer that we deal with hospitalizations and deaths only, and then break them into age groups.  

Then we might find out how truly hazardous this thing is to the general population..

The few people that I know who have had it, or have been "down" with it, experienced symptoms for about 8 hours and did not require hospitalization.  The one who did require hospitalization was there for four days and has totally recovered. We can deal with that.  We'd all volunteer to get it for eight hours and move on.  

While raw numbers sound high.  Kentucky's 24,000 "cases": are only .004% of the population, which, better stated, is 1 in every 100,000 of us.  

I

Exactly, the numbers of hospitalizations and deaths are a much more meaningful number than the raw number of cases.  In March and early April we could only test hospitalized patients, or those with significant risk factors.  Now everyone who is getting any type of procedure or going to the Bahamas for vacation gets tested in addition to everyone with a fever who presents to the Dr.  If there are not an increase in hospitalizations and deaths does the number of cases really matter?  Nationwide we are at about a third of daily deaths from the peak.  NYC was having 1,000/day and now nationwide we have less than that. In NKY we have had a consistent number of hospitalized covid patients (less than a third of peak) since the beginning of summer despite the relaxation of the distancing rules.  To me that says we are in good shape and need to still  be careful but we can let the kids go to school and start back to some of their daily routines because the benefit of normalcy may now outweigh the risk of illness.  If hospitalizations increase we need to then dial it back.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

It's my understanding they are not, but I can't prove it.  I am fairly certain that antibody tests aren't being used when determining cause of death.

So timely... I just received the following response to my inquiry about the counts:

Thank you for reaching out.

Please see response below that we received from Public Health:

Thank you for your questions.  Yes, some of the positives tests are from antibody testing.  

1 hour ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

So timely... I just received the following response to my inquiry about the counts:

Thank you for reaching out.

Please see response below that we received from Public Health:

Thank you for your questions.  Yes, some of the positives tests are from antibody testing.  

Thanks for sharing.  As I think about it, it does kind of make sense.  If you’ve tested positive for the antibodies, that would mean you’ve had it, so I understand counting it as a positive case (especially if you didn’t have the viral test done). If anything, that would give a clearer picture to how deadly it is (or isn’t) by including those tests in the totals, again though, only if they didn’t have a positive viral teat previously. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 10:45 AM, theguru said:

A false equivalency!?  LOL

Does that include the cashiers at Big-Box stores?  Does it include the cashiers and baggers at grocery stores?  Does that include the waiters, hostesses, and bus boys at restaurants?  Does that include every job every child does for a small business or large corporation?

Hey kids!  The adults say you can work to enrich them but you can't go to school!

On tangent here, at my local Kroger I would say roughly a third of the employees consistently do not wear their mask correctly.  

By all means send the kids home from work, but to say a teenager’s work environment is a safer environment than teenager’s school environment is the false equivalency.  

If your local public school system was to  ban football, what are the chances that the transfer application of a student who wants to transfer to a private school solely to improve his chances to get a football scholarship will be approved?   Is this a circumstance /exception that the  KHSAA would look into?

Just received a email about Fayette Co. schools they voted this evening to start the school year with only NTI instruction (no Student's in the buildings).

Here is the exact quote from the email. "Based on the level of community spread in Lexington at this time. The board has voted unanimously to begin the year with Non-Traditional Instruction (NTI) and Differentiated Distance Learning (2DL)."

On 7/21/2020 at 9:45 AM, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

According to the CDC's own numbers, the 10yr average for the number of seasonal flu deaths in the state of Kentucky is 707 deaths per year.  As is stands today, we have 671 COVID deaths.  And, we know that the CDC is counting not only people that die FROM COVID but also people that die WITH COVID, i.e. comorbidities.  

This is obviously not about the virus at this point. 

Which is true with the flu also. People with comorbidities that die with flu are counted as flu deaths.