Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

13 hours ago, tcjkbt said:

If your local public school system was to  ban football, what are the chances that the transfer application of a student who wants to transfer to a private school solely to improve his chances to get a football scholarship will be approved?   Is this a circumstance /exception that the  KHSAA would look into?

I would think this would at least get consideration for an approval. Again though, 95% of HS football players go on to play in college, and only about 2% actually get money in the form of an athletic scholarship. In reality, there are very few students who will be able to use this argument as a reason to transfer, and as such it would be very difficult for someone to prove.

14 hours ago, tcjkbt said:

If your local public school system was to  ban football, what are the chances that the transfer application of a student who wants to transfer to a private school solely to improve his chances to get a football scholarship will be approved?   Is this a circumstance /exception that the  KHSAA would look into?

On KHSAA transfer form it has cessation of a sport as exception to transfer rule. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Virginia just adopted this model:

• Season 1 (Winter) December 14 – February 20 (First Contest Date – December 28)
  • Season 2 (Fall) February 15 – May 1 (First Contest Date – March 1)
  • Season 3 (Spring) April 12 – June 26 (First Contest Date – April 26)

They are condensing all 3 seasons into December 14 through June 26th.

I’ve heard rumors that we will get two more weeks of the current state. After that practice will start and weeks 1-3 will be eliminated so teams will play weeks 4-11 with a full playoffs. I have no clue how true that is or where those people got their information. The meeting is tomorrow at 10 so by this time tomorrow we’ll have an idea. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, barrel said:

I’ve heard rumors that we will get two more weeks of the current state. After that practice will start and weeks 1-3 will be eliminated so teams will play weeks 4-11 with a full playoffs. I have no clue how true that is or where those people got their information. The meeting is tomorrow at 10 so by this time tomorrow we’ll have an idea. 

I have heard many rumors too.  I won't believe anything until I hear it from the KHSAA. I still don't know how you justify football (and sports in general) when many districts are starting the year off in NTI.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I have heard many rumors too.  I won't believe anything until I hear it from the KHSAA. I still don't know how you justify football (and sports in general) when many districts are starting the year off in NTI.

Well schools would have to start before a season would. If schools weren’t starting until mid September or even early October the comparison might be a little different. Also not all schools at this moment are starting NTI. It’s a complex set of factors for sure. 

3 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

If this is right, how much of a delayed start do you envision? Mid to late September? October?

My guess is the Friday after Labor Day. That takes away the first three weeks but doesn’t cost any district games other than Scott County/Great Crossing and Owensboro/Breckinridge County, which would either have to be rescheduled or counted as a win/loss for both (Tackett referenced this in the last meeting). They might even allow games to be plugged in during scheduled bye weeks, although making that work could be difficult. It will be interesting to see if the same playoff format is used or if it might be reduced. Could we see Week 11 eliminated and have playoffs begin a week early? I suspect everything is on the table.

Bottom line, if Buchanan is referencing a delayed start and the KHSAA agenda has three sets of sports to be discussed, then a modified season is inevitable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Virginia just adopted this model:

• Season 1 (Winter) December 14 – February 20 (First Contest Date – December 28)
  • Season 2 (Fall) February 15 – May 1 (First Contest Date – March 1)
  • Season 3 (Spring) April 12 – June 26 (First Contest Date – April 26)

They are condensing all 3 seasons into December 14 through June 26th.

To me, this seems reasonable. I know there has been talk of player injuries and field issues and that’s legitimate. To counter that, I would probably push the fall season of 2021 back a couple of weeks (maybe reduce one game), keep everything else the same for that season, and hopefully by May 2022 every season is back to normal schedule. 

1 hour ago, gchs_uk9 said:

To me, this seems reasonable. I know there has been talk of player injuries and field issues and that’s legitimate. To counter that, I would probably push the fall season of 2021 back a couple of weeks (maybe reduce one game), keep everything else the same for that season, and hopefully by May 2022 every season is back to normal schedule. 

Quite a bit of football players are involved in other sports.  Tough for those sports who did not even get a full season a year ago.

• Like 1

I believe we will get good news tomorrow. The consensus is that switching spring & fall sports would not be good for most student-athletes. Athletic Staff/Facility Logistics, risking no baseball/softball two years in a row in case of a spike, and very difficult/tough on the bodies for kids to play a football season in the spring and then turn around and play again in the fall... not enough recovery time. 

Mr. Tackett has been great in seeking input from the KY HS Football Coaches Association both through the Elected Council and Regional Reps. 

I don't know what the final plan will look like, but the process has included our coaches and we are appreciative that has been the case. Bottomline, for the most part, we want our kids to have a season and we are willing to do what is necessary to make it happen... and protect the vulnerable the best that it can be done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t understand why the teams would lose games why can’t they just push the whole season back three weeks it’s not like it’s so cold in Kentucky that you can’t play the championships right before Christmas and the whole with less games you stand less chance of getting the virus is not a intelligent argument to me you are just as likely to get the virus in 7 games as you are 10.

26 minutes ago, catfan09 said:

Quite a bit of football players are involved in other sports.  Tough for those sports who did not even get a full season a year ago.

I was commenting on the Virginia model. All three seasons would be played, just a little squeezed. I’d rather play a partial season than no season at all. 

16 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

I don’t understand why the teams would lose games why can’t they just push the whole season back three weeks it’s not like it’s so cold in Kentucky that you can’t play the championships right before Christmas and the whole with less games you stand less chance of getting the virus is not a intelligent argument to me you are just as likely to get the virus in 7 games as you are 10.

Breathe my man. Breathe!

• Like 1