Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

Just now, nees1212 said:

If it’s true Hazard has 18 players, 3 coaches, and 15 family members test positive, then this fall season is not looking good.

Or, if all are recovered in the next two weeks, Hazard should have less to fear about possible CV19 infections and impact.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JDEaston said:

The CDC said this 3-4 weeks ago, though they didn't limit it to asymptomatic younger people. The gist of their statement was that they had discovered that asymptomatic people can transfer the virus but those cases are extremely rare. 

That's what I was remembering as well.

I’d say most kids have been around each other. It’s not like they ain’t playing basketball, swimming, riding 4 wheelers or side by sides and hanging out when there not busy. I personally think we will be fine. I know a recreation place that every field was playing games last night. About 5 fields I think. Parking lot was full. I was happy to see that. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I’d say most kids have been around each other. It’s not like they ain’t playing basketball, swimming, riding 4 wheelers or side by sides and hanging out when there not busy. I personally think we will be fine. I know a recreation place that every field was playing games last night. About 5 fields I think. Parking lot was full. I was happy to see that. 

Exactly, young people (lots of people) are all going on with life like normal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Over 900 cases today doesn’t bode well for KHSAA decision coming up on 28th. Hope it starts going down between now and then.

979 to be exact with also 30 of those cases in children 5 years or younger. Also usually Sunday's are the lowest reporting day of the week.

Reacting to daily results in cases is like day-trading the stock market.  Reacting to longer-term trends in hospitalizations and deaths is a more reasonable approach.  I hope they don't overreact based on a few days of tests, especially if we don't know if all those were recent results or were accumulated over the last weeks/months.  The more cases we get without a corresponding increases in deaths tells us the virus is weaker than originally thought, which may bode well for sports this fall.  The teams that get it and develop antibodies / herd immunity will be well-positioned.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

California moving football to December or January start with championships in April. Probably more practical with winter start since warmer in California than here.

Warm weather states certainly have the option, although, not all of Cali is warm year round. That's going to be tough to do in the Midwest and even tougher in the north. Practicing football in January around here is not something I would look forward to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ConverseAllStar said:

Reacting to daily results in cases is like day-trading the stock market.  Reacting to longer-term trends in hospitalizations and deaths is a more reasonable approach.  I hope they don't overreact based on a few days of tests, especially if we don't know if all those were recent results or were accumulated over the last weeks/months.  The more cases we get without a corresponding increases in deaths tells us the virus is weaker than originally thought, which may bode well for sports this fall.  The teams that get it and develop antibodies / herd immunity will be well-positioned.

For all the false reporting going on I find it hard to believe the numbers. Let’s play!! 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 7/17/2020 at 5:08 PM, nees1212 said:

If it’s true Hazard has 18 players, 3 coaches, and 15 family members test positive, then this fall season is not looking good.

This is true just read a article about it on line it spread according to the local health dept. who done the tracing and investigation. They said it spread most likely through the teams weight room to the players from one player who had been out of state on vacation with their family. Hazard has suspended all football workouts indefinitely since July 11.