Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

43 minutes ago, theguru said:

In the land of the free I don't believe anything is a good reason.

This so bogus it makes me want to puke. There are untold number of laws that restrict freedom that people follow every day. Wear your seat belt; no drunk driving; concealed carry; speed limits; stop signs; no smoking. I could go on and on. Indiana just passef a law that people cannot hold a cell phone while behind the wheel, even at a red light. You enforced many of those laws. To act like wearing a mask in this situation is some great, unbearable infringement on freedom is totally bogus. 

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

This so bogus it makes me want to puke. There are untold number of laws that restrict freedom that people follow every day. Wear your seat belt; no drunk driving; concealed carry; speed limits; stop signs; no smoking. I could go on and on. Indiana just passef a law that people cannot hold a cell phone while behind the wheel, even at a red light. You enforced many of those laws. To act like wearing a mask in this situation is some great, unbearable infringement on freedom is totally bogus. 

Gotta love people who are supposed to enforce the law proudly boasting about how they won't follow the rules. Not surprising in the least, though. 

54 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Many of these are in place in order to maintin the safety of the public. Which is what the mask mandate is all about. Yet people get everything twisted, and provide reasons that all relate to them, as to why they won't were the mask, without any consideration to others.

• Like 1

I've been to a total of two stores where mask-wearing was enforced, and both times were before the recent thirty-day mandate.  Barnes & Noble and Guitar Center, both in Florence.

Been to around 4-5 gas stations and none of them enforce it.  Kroger in Florence, Meijer in Cold Spring, & a Mom & Pop grocery in Falmouth...none of them enforced it.  Smashburger in Highland Heights didn't.  Half-Price Books did not, but I was thanked by an employee for wearing one.  

Having said all of that, I do feel like more people are wearing masks these last few days.

Just sharing my experiences.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday, Harrison County announced 5 new cases--all under the age of 40.  A 38-year-old, 14, 13, 10, & 7.  Each of the juveniles are related by recent travel.

Kids getting this, especially elementary-aged kids, will be the death knell for football & probably a traditional school day this fall.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

Yesterday, Harrison County announced 5 new cases--all under the age of 40.  A 38-year-old, 14, 13, 10, & 7.  Each of the juveniles are related by recent travel.

Kids getting this, especially elementary-aged kids, will be the death knell for football & probably a traditional school day this fall.

Bottom line: If we can play safely, then you let kids play. Our kids have been impacted severely by this and deserve every attempt we can provide for them safely. 

Sadly, if we are going to continue to lose our minds over positive cases of majority asymptomatic people, then we won’t ever get back to normal.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WKY_Football said:

Bottom line: If we can play safely, then you let kids play. Our kids have been impacted severely by this and deserve every attempt we can provide for them safely. 

Sadly, if we are going to continue to lose our minds over positive cases of majority asymptomatic people, then we won’t ever get back to normal.  

"Safely" should include coaches, parents, officials, and any one else who comes into contact with kids during football activities. This isn't just the kids playing in a vacuum, and they aren't the only ones whose health can be affected. Letting the kids play is also exposing others to risk, that is possibly life threatening or dangerous, even if it doesn't affect kids nearly as much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randy Parker said:

Perhaps but I still say the deaths are the key factor. If deaths stay low and stay in the elderly and high risk population, then CV19 looks more like the flu in the younger population. Even with high case counts we can stay open, have school and play sports if the risk of death and ICU's stay low. That is the crux of where we are right now. 

It would help tremendously if people put masks on and got the case counts down.  But that hasn't happened over the past few weeks so now we have to watch deaths and ICU patients to figure out what is going to happen next.

From Les Dixon today:

Good evening everyone,
Our state continues to have one of the lower percentages in the country.
I haven’t been able to give any updates as of late but currently our state average is 0.04090 (20,223 cases and 494,343 tests done), which marks the first time we have been over the 0.040 mark in close to six weeks.

Our percentage rate the past seven days (including today), according to the state is 0.0395.

ICU numbers are back down at 84 and hospitalizations are at 449.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

It seems like most that want everyone to wear masks are concerned about whether football is going to be played more than the virus itself. Trust me I love football, have even spent some time writing on it, I generally love all sports.

But it makes me question the reasoning behind why people (sports related sites in general) are so bent out of shape about people not wearing masks because it will it effect sports if you don't wear a mask.

Is this about sports, masks, or the virus? If it's about the virus and people are scared to walk in a store without a mask on then fall sports should be completely out of the question. Because those kids won't be playing with masks on, they will be sweating on each other, touching each other, etc. All of which is against the "rules."

So what I'm getting at is if this is about health and safety as far as masks go, why are sports even in the discussion? Because if its not safe to walk in a store without a mask on its surely not safe to play sports without a mask on.

I’m curious if JCPS doesn’t play, will the Jefferson County private schools play? Could we see some counties play and others not? Will KHSAA just leave it up to individual school districts to decide  that way they aren’t to blame either way? I’m reading the tea leaves and I will be surprised if JCPS has in person classes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JDEaston said:

It seems like most that want everyone to wear masks are concerned about whether football is going to be played more than the virus itself. Trust me I love football, have even spent some time writing on it, I generally love all sports.

But it makes me question the reasoning behind why people (sports related sites in general) are so bent out of shape about people not wearing masks because it will it effect sports if you don't wear a mask.

Is this about sports, masks, or the virus? If it's about the virus and people are scared to walk in a store without a mask on then fall sports should be completely out of the question. Because those kids won't be playing with masks on, they will be sweating on each other, touching each other, etc. All of which is against the "rules."

So what I'm getting at is if this is about health and safety as far as masks go, why are sports even in the discussion? Because if its not safe to walk in a store without a mask on its surely not safe to play sports without a mask on.

What we want is people to care about others and put a mask on. Football being played is just one part of getting back to normal that happens when people put on a mask. It is the focus in this thread but putting on a mask leads not only to football but to kids going to school, colleges opening their campuses, more open businesses, lower unemployment, etc.

Let's say that we are able to play high school football in the state of Kentucky starting in September. What in the world happens to JV and freshman teams? I doubt that underclassmen will be allowed to play multiple games a week (JV/Varsity). 

Is there any discussion of delaying the start of the football season until spring to hopefully take advantage of an available vaccine? Students that play multiple sports would then have to decide on whether to play basketball or football. Or an abbreviated basketball season could run from January- March with football taking advantage of warmer spring weather and having their season run from March-May.

1 hour ago, Hardin County Preps said:

Let's say that we are able to play high school football in the state of Kentucky starting in September. What in the world happens to JV and freshman teams? I doubt that underclassmen will be allowed to play multiple games a week (JV/Varsity). 

Is there any discussion of delaying the start of the football season until spring to hopefully take advantage of an available vaccine? Students that play multiple sports would then have to decide on whether to play basketball or football. Or an abbreviated basketball season could run from January- March with football taking advantage of warmer spring weather and having their season run from March-May.

Main concern there is the non-seniors playing 2 seasons in the same year.

7 hours ago, John Anthony said:

Main concern there is the non-seniors playing 2 seasons in the same year.

I think it also potentially hurts spring sports numbers, especially at small schools.  Moving small sports to spring is going to force a large number of athletes to make a tough choice.  Also, facilities would be a big problem. Baseball and softball often use turf fields and indoor facilities for practice as the weather is typically terrible and fields are unplayable the first few weeks of the season.  And grass football fields (especially bluegrass which will still be dormant) will not be in any condition to practice or play with the amount of rain we see in the early spring every year. 

• Like 1