Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

12 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

I’m seeing 50-75% compliance across the river.  I don’t understand what NKY is doing.

I haven't been across the River since the mandate went into effect.  But what I've mentioned many times, is MD/DE were pretty much 100% compliance when I was there the beginning of the month.  They were actively enforcing though.  

To answer your question, I don't know that NKY is doing anything special, and since no one seems to be actively enforcing (people without masks aren't getting kicked out of anywhere), I would expect compliance to drop pretty quickly.

• Like 1

Copied from a friend of a teacher friend.  This addresses teachers but I think it is germane to this thread:

• If a teacher tests positive for COVID-19 are they required to quarantine for 2-3 weeks? Is their sick leave covered, paid?

• If that teacher has 5 classes a day with 30 students each, do all 150 of those students need to then stay home and quarantine for 14 days?

• Do all 150 of those students now have to get tested? Who pays for those tests? Are they happening at school? How are the parents being notified? Does everyone in each of those kids' families need to get tested? Who pays for that?

• What if someone who lives in the same house as a teacher tests positive? Does that teacher now need to take 14 days off of work to quarantine? Is that time off covered? Paid?

• Where is the district going to find a substitute teacher who will work in a classroom full of exposed, possibly infected students for substitute pay?

• Substitutes teach in multiple schools. What if they are diagnosed with COVID-19? Do all the kids in each school now have to quarantine and get tested? Who is going to pay for that?

• What if a student in your kid's class tests positive? What if your kid tests positive? Does every other student and teacher they have been around quarantine? Do we all get notified who is infected and when? Or because of HIPAA regulations are parents and teachers just going to get mysterious “may have been in contact” emails all year long?

• What is this stress going to do to our teachers? How does it affect their health and well-being? How does it affect their ability to teach? How does it affect the quality of education they are able to provide? What is it going to do to our kids? What are the long-term effects of consistently being stressed out?

• How will it affect students and faculty when the first teacher in their school dies from this? The first parent of a student who brought it home? The first kid?

• How many more people are going to die, that otherwise would not have if we had stayed home longer?

30% of the teachers in the US are over 50. About 16% of the total deaths in the US are people between the ages of 45-65.

We are choosing to put our teachers in danger.

We're not paying them more.

We aren't spending anywhere near the right amount to protect them. And in turn, we are putting ourselves and our kids in danger.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, theguru said:

Copied from a friend of a teacher friend.  This addresses teachers but I think it is germane to this thread:

• If a teacher tests positive for COVID-19 are they required to quarantine for 2-3 weeks? Is their sick leave covered, paid?

• If that teacher has 5 classes a day with 30 students each, do all 150 of those students need to then stay home and quarantine for 14 days?

• Do all 150 of those students now have to get tested? Who pays for those tests? Are they happening at school? How are the parents being notified? Does everyone in each of those kids' families need to get tested? Who pays for that?

• What if someone who lives in the same house as a teacher tests positive? Does that teacher now need to take 14 days off of work to quarantine? Is that time off covered? Paid?

• Where is the district going to find a substitute teacher who will work in a classroom full of exposed, possibly infected students for substitute pay?

• Substitutes teach in multiple schools. What if they are diagnosed with COVID-19? Do all the kids in each school now have to quarantine and get tested? Who is going to pay for that?

• What if a student in your kid's class tests positive? What if your kid tests positive? Does every other student and teacher they have been around quarantine? Do we all get notified who is infected and when? Or because of HIPAA regulations are parents and teachers just going to get mysterious “may have been in contact” emails all year long?

• What is this stress going to do to our teachers? How does it affect their health and well-being? How does it affect their ability to teach? How does it affect the quality of education they are able to provide? What is it going to do to our kids? What are the long-term effects of consistently being stressed out?

• How will it affect students and faculty when the first teacher in their school dies from this? The first parent of a student who brought it home? The first kid?

• How many more people are going to die, that otherwise would not have if we had stayed home longer?

30% of the teachers in the US are over 50. About 16% of the total deaths in the US are people between the ages of 45-65.

We are choosing to put our teachers in danger.

We're not paying them more.

We aren't spending anywhere near the right amount to protect them. And in turn, we are putting ourselves and our kids in danger.

All good points, and all hit home for me.  My daughter is a teacher, my wife is a substitute teacher.  Not to mention me being a coach.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John Anthony said:

I’m confused about the late start idea.  COVID and the flu thrives in cold weather.

The flu, yes. Covid-19, who knows? We were told that heat would kill/weaken it, that turns out to not be true. Of course unless the numbers are wrong hah. But it likely hasn't been here for a full year yet even if it was here well before we discovered it. So we really have no idea what it will be like in the fall, just like we don't what the real numbers are right now. Regardless I don't see fall sports happening this season.

47 minutes ago, JDEaston said:

The flu, yes. Covid-19, who knows? We were told that heat would kill/weaken it, that turns out to not be true. Of course unless the numbers are wrong hah. But it likely hasn't been here for a full year yet even if it was here well before we discovered it. So we really have no idea what it will be like in the fall, just like we don't what the real numbers are right now. Regardless I don't see fall sports happening this season.

I never bought into the heat concept.  Sure humidity will make it harder to spread but this virus is so contagious and sticks to surfaces.  I heard of people using a dryer blowing heat up their nose back in March to try to kill the virus.  Colder temps will bring less humidity and moisture, making the virus easier to float around.  Also, during the winter we’re all bunched up together, not spending as much time outside spread out. I’m worried about the winter, but hoping to be wrong.

• Like 1

I was in Paducah today and I stopped by a convenient store I won’t name which one they were probably about a dozen people in the store and only two were wearing masks besides the people that worked there and one of them wasn’t even wearing one.

1 hour ago, John Anthony said:

I never bought into the heat concept.  Sure humidity will make it harder to spread but this virus is so contagious and sticks to surfaces.  I heard of people using a dryer blowing heat up their nose back in March to try to kill the virus.  Colder temps will bring less humidity and moisture, making the virus easier to float around.  Also, during the winter we’re all bunched up together, not spending as much time outside spread out. I’m worried about the winter, but hoping to be wrong.

What really slows down infectious disease in the summer is sunlight.  Sunlight keeps vitamin-D levels up in people.  In the winter so many more people of all ages are vitamin-D deficient. 

Its amazing to see the debates on this subject.   Here is a pro-VitD article.  You can find ones claiming the link is untrue as well. 

https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/vitamin-d-deficiency-may-raise-risk-of-getting-covid19

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tkinslow said:

I was in Paducah today and I stopped by a convenient store I won’t name which one they were probably about a dozen people in the store and only two were wearing masks besides the people that worked there and one of them wasn’t even wearing one.

No football fans in that store.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, theguru said:

I went to two bars (both very crowded) and two liquor stores over the weekend in NKY and there was 0% compliance on masks other than one of the clerks at one of the liquor stores had one around his neck. 

This is a good reason to close the bars then?

• Like 3

My question is why are all these teachers so worried about getting covid in the schools?

Everyday I see these same people posting pics on vacation from all over the US from Florida to Maine etc. I would think they should be staying local this summer and more worried about how to manage the school year vs out and about on vacation.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Brcatz said:

My question is why are all these teachers so worried about getting covid in the schools?

Everyday I see these same people posting pics on vacation from all over the US from Florida to Maine etc. I would think they should be staying local this summer and more worried about how to manage the school year vs out and about on vacation.

Small confined classrooms, same buildings everyday, same ventilation systems, I’d be worried if I were a teacher as well.  

• Like 3